Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 63937 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2018, 01:20:20 AM »
Whenever I have nothing to read or can't decide what to read, I fall back on my Nero Wolfe books.

You obviously have excellent taste. I love Rex Stout. Did you know that yesterday was Archie Goodwin's birthday? It was just mentioned in passing in one of the books -- can't remember which one.
I have been reading Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries series, set in turn of the century New York. And I was so intrigued by the blurb on one of our members' books here that I bought it and am about halfway through. Thanks, Al.

I missed Archie's birthday? What kind of an awful fan am I! I'm putting it on my calendar for next year. I did spend quite a bit of time tending my orchids yesterday so hopefully, that counts.

The following users thanked this post: HSh

spin52

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2018, 02:17:50 AM »
Whenever I have nothing to read or can't decide what to read, I fall back on my Nero Wolfe books.

You obviously have excellent taste. I love Rex Stout. Did you know that yesterday was Archie Goodwin's birthday? It was just mentioned in passing in one of the books -- can't remember which one.
I have been reading Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries series, set in turn of the century New York. And I was so intrigued by the blurb on one of our members' books here that I bought it and am about halfway through. Thanks, Al.

I missed Archie's birthday? What kind of an awful fan am I! I'm putting it on my calendar for next year. I did spend quite a bit of time tending my orchids yesterday so hopefully, that counts.

I'm sure it does. It was when Archie was pulling out a wallet or something and saying it was a gift from Wolfe last October 23, "and I didn't even know he knew when my birthday was."

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2018, 05:59:48 AM »

I'm sure it does. It was when Archie was pulling out a wallet or something and saying it was a gift from Wolfe last October 23, "and I didn't even know he knew when my birthday was."

Ah, yes. I think it was a card case. Now I have to reread the whole series just to find it. Such a sacrifice.  :hehe

I just finished A Family Affair for about the fifth time.

spin52

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »

My favorite is "The Doorbell Rang". Who but Wolfe could beat the FBI into submission?
I've also been reading Edward Marston's Nicholas Bracewell mysteries. I have to say the mystery part of them isn't that great, but the Elizabethan theater setting is intriguing and I like the characters.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2018, 01:29:42 AM »

My favorite is "The Doorbell Rang". Who but Wolfe could beat the FBI into submission?
I've also been reading Edward Marston's Nicholas Bracewell mysteries. I have to say the mystery part of them isn't that great, but the Elizabethan theater setting is intriguing and I like the characters.

Yes, I always recommend that one. Another favorite is The Mother Hunt. I also love the Zeck trilogy especially the final one. And The Rubber Band ...  :help ... I have to stop now.

HSh

« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2018, 02:03:26 AM »
Good memories about the Nero Wolfe books...   :clap:  There are some audio versions available on Scribd, maybe I'll dive back in again soon.  I have a lot of them in print already, but audio can offer a different take sometimes.  I've noticed I do NOT enjoy romance in audio format, but some fiction, and lots of non-fiction, I like a lot.  It just depends what I'm in the mood for.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2018, 02:56:16 AM »
Good memories about the Nero Wolfe books...   :clap:  There are some audio versions available on Scribd, maybe I'll dive back in again soon.  I have a lot of them in print already, but audio can offer a different take sometimes.  I've noticed I do NOT enjoy romance in audio format, but some fiction, and lots of non-fiction, I like a lot.  It just depends what I'm in the mood for.

I had all of them in paperback but they were so old, some of them were priced at 50c and 75c. It was time to toss them. That hurt. But I've got them all on my Kindle.

For me, audio depends a lot on the narrator. 

The following users thanked this post: HSh

Vijaya

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2018, 06:13:31 AM »
Born a Crime by Noah Trevor -- life in South Africa as a mixed kid. His mother--what a woman!!!

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Robin

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I haven't read very much yet, but it is very funny so far and I'm glad I bought it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2018, 11:46:08 PM »
I'm listening to A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Charles Dickens. Nick Offerman is the narrator and he's doing a wonderful job. My grandson actually came out of his room and asked me if it was Nick Offerman. Apparently, Offerman voices a character on one of his games.

spin52

« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2018, 12:10:09 AM »
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I haven't read very much yet, but it is very funny so far and I'm glad I bought it.
Do you know, I think I've read all of Bryson's books and that's the only one I didn't especially like?  :icon_rolleyes:
If you haven't already read it, I can recommend his autobiography, "Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid", which is a wonderfully nostalgic (and funny) look at America in the 1950s.

The following users thanked this post: Robin

Robin

« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2018, 12:29:45 AM »
Do you know, I think I've read all of Bryson's books and that's the only one I didn't especially like?  :icon_rolleyes:
If you haven't already read it, I can recommend his autobiography, "Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid", which is a wonderfully nostalgic (and funny) look at America in the 1950s.

It's only the second of BB's I've read (the first was A Short History of Nearly Everything) so maybe I don't have so many books of his to compare to, but I have to say I like it so far!

Thank you for the recommendation  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em 

YouMeWe

« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »
Still slogging my way through Inferno, by Dan Brown ...
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2018, 12:10:23 AM »
Last night I finished A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers. Such a lovely read! Not much action or drama, but some excellent characterization. It also filled out the universe Chambers created in Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. I'm hoping to start on the next novel in this universe, Record of a Spaceborn Few, in the next few days.

CindyCarroll

• Tag Line unlocked
    • Cindy Carroll - Author
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2018, 02:38:15 AM »
Currently reading A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay and Life Is For the Living by Samuel Stokes.

Recently finished Her Pretty Face by Robyn Harding. Canadians will find the murder part of the story very familiar.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2018, 03:00:28 AM »
I just finished Anna Lee Huber's The Anatomist's Wife, an historical mystery.  It's the first of the Lady Darby Mysteries, and I really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:09:24 AM by Kate Elizabeth »

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
Last night I finished A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers. Such a lovely read! Not much action or drama, but some excellent characterization. It also filled out the universe Chambers created in Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. I'm hoping to start on the next novel in this universe, Record of a Spaceborn Few, in the next few days.

I love Becky Chambers' books and have Record of a Spaceborn Few on my TBR pile.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2018, 02:00:59 PM »
  I liked all three those books, but I absolutely loved "A closed and common orbit".

The following users thanked this post: RobertLCollins

YouMeWe

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »
Just reached the midpoint of Inferno. Feel like I need a round of applause.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2018, 01:19:10 AM »
I'm reading Dragon's Egg, Maria E. Schneider, fourth in the Dragons of Wendal series.

Vijaya

« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2018, 04:50:02 AM »
Back in Control by Dr. David Hanscom -- learning more about the pit of chronic pain and getting out of it without meds, surgery, etc.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Robin

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
Just reached the midpoint of Inferno. Feel like I need a round of applause.

:clap:

:hehe

elleoco

« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »
I just finished Patterson's Texas Ranger. The only Patterson books I ever read previously were a couple of the Alex Cross series. I dropped them when they had the "serial killer who can't be killed and keeps coming back" trope. However, I like Westerns, and there aren't enough decent ones around, so even though I prefer historical ones and this is contemporary, I gave it a try.

It pulled me right through the story all right. However, I was pretty sure of the bad guy halfway, and disappointed that the MC was a macho jerk who never should have been in law enforcement to start with.

Got it from the library. If I bought, I'd be mad at myself.

Max

« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2018, 09:01:44 AM »
Starting this:  Planet Black by Barry C Davis

Look Inside grabbed me, but that was after I downloaded a freebie of his with a compelling title.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
I finished Lauren Layne's Good Girl, which I really enjoyed.  I just started The Magician's Lie, by Greer Macallister.

oganalp

« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
Halfway through the second book of Dresden files, Fool Moon.

Then I plan on switching to The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2018, 01:13:34 AM »
Yesterday I finished Becky Chambers' Record of a Spaceborn Few. It wasn't as tightly focused in terms of plot and characters as the other two books in her universe were. Yet it was still an intriguing exploration of the culture she's created. I did like how she tied the lives of the characters she introduces together. I hope she writes more in this universe.

Pondering what I want to read next...

notthatamanda

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2018, 06:55:41 AM »
I read "The Liar's Club" over (American) Thanksgiving.  I didn't particularly enjoy it.  Mostly I'm still scratching my head over the reviews that found it funny.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2018, 08:39:11 AM »
I'm currently reading My Dear Hamilton about Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton.

Just finished The Choir Director Wore Out, the last of the liturgical mysteries by Mark Schweitzer. Closing Credits by Martin Turnbull is the last of the Garden of Allah series.

Both series are highly recommended for different reasons and I was kind of sad to see them end, but both authors did a really nice job of wrapping things up.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »
I am currently reading Realm Shift by Alan Baxter. Interesting read, but can get a bit wordy at times.

I just finished reading Time Travel For Love and Profit by Jeff Abugov. Good story, but the ending seemed a little contrived. Kind of like the end of Ashton Kutcher's Butterfly Effect.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Granitic

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2018, 02:55:11 PM »
John Grisham's The Innocent Man. Saw it in a YouTube advertisement and read the synopsis. So far so good.

notthatamanda

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:51 PM »
John Grisham's The Innocent Man. Saw it in a YouTube advertisement and read the synopsis. So far so good.

I read that and Grisham's "The Confession" back to back.  I always enjoy Grisham, although being non-fiction, "The Innocent Man" was not terribly enjoyable.  The whole time I'm hearing "REALLY?!?!?!?" in my head.  Then I read Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven" shortly after.  Then I quit reading for a bit.

The following users thanked this post: Granitic

Anarchist

« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2018, 03:26:35 AM »
Currently reading this one...

Dr. Block is a rabble-rousing anarchist and takes a lot of flak for his views, even from other anarchists. Personally, I find his perspective fascinating.

If you're interested to see what's in the book, here's the PDF.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2018, 04:48:14 AM »
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2018, 06:45:19 AM »
The Bermondsey Poisoner, a Victorian mystery.

It's sixth in the series so the relationships were kind of confusing at first but everything was briefly explained. No long, rambling thoughts, so that was good.

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2018, 03:05:14 AM »
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. I'm not loving it.  :icon_sad:

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2018, 03:07:52 AM »

I read that multiple times when I was about 11. I was reading every science fiction book I could find in the library and there weren't many. I tried to read it again some years ago and couldn't finish it.

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2018, 04:40:47 AM »

I read that multiple times when I was about 11. I was reading every science fiction book I could find in the library and there weren't many. I tried to read it again some years ago and couldn't finish it.

It definitely reads like something generational, as in, I'd probably have liked it 30 years ago.

lyndabelle

« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2018, 05:30:00 PM »
Just got "Becoming Michelle Obama" for Christmas. Currently reading that.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »

I loved this book.  After I read it, I found out that Vaught is a practising neuropsychologist who works with teens and that made perfect sense. It's about Jersey Hatch, a boy recovering from a severe head injury. As the plot unfolds you discover, along with him, how the injury happened (he has partial memory loss and is confused about how he got hurt).  Jersey's arc is particularly satisfying as he figures out how the injury has changed him, and how people see him now that he is so different -- a hard-core version of what happens to all teens as they have to learn how they are as they turn into adults.  He has a low-key, stubborn, patient courage that I've not often seen depicted in fiction. The story deals with teen suicide and the harsh, judgemental attitudes people have about suicide, but it's funny and wry too. A powerful story that was never preachy or didactic. The writer has compassion for all the characters, even the not-so-likeable people. 

Life in a Fishbowl by Lev Vlahos was good enough to make me read it to the end, but severely flawed. A fragile and insecure girl discovers that her father has a brain tumour and only a few months left to live, and on top of thiat, he has signed himself and his family over to be a reality show.  So they have to live out the last weeks of his life in a blaze of publicity with no privacy at all. There are many characters, including the brain tumour itself, which has a point of view role in the story.

I'm pretty certain the author loves Roald Dahl! The story has a Dahly feel about it, but doesn't quite convince. Several of the plot threads (there are many) feel like things that should have been removed or combined. The baddies (there are many of them) are outrageously, cartoon level bad without any redeeming qualities, and I get a sense that the author finds good, decent people boring and so doesn't really know how to write them.  That said, the core plot, in which the teen girl main character turns the tables on the evil reality show director with the help of her Russian pen-pall is gripping and deeply satisfying. And the brain tumour's point of view story is oddball and quirky, but it works.

On the nose, not particularly subtle, but interesting enough.

spin52

« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2018, 05:25:12 AM »
I got several books for Christmas, so it's more what I will be reading over the next few weeks. I just finished the final Bracewell mystery, "The Princess of Denmark", and I'm working on "The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England" by Ian Mortimer. Next it will be John LeCarre's "A Legacy of Spies" and another Victoria Thompson gaslight mystery.
Who knows -- I may even get some writing done at some point.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2019, 07:36:24 AM »
Finally read something I enjoyed, rather than a book I was meh about. Yesterday I finished Year Zero by Rob Reid. The premise is that aliens have been listening to our music for years and not paying for it. A lawyer is roped into helping solve the matter, and of course there are aliens who don't want Earth to keep producing good music. It wasn't as funny as I thought it might be, but it was an entertaining read.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2019, 08:06:03 AM »
I just finished The Killing at Kaldaire House. It was better than I thought it would be, but then I realized the author, Kate Parker, also wrote the Victorian Bookshop Mysteries. I enjoyed that series, too.

Back to Kaldaire House. The MC, Emily Gates, is a milliner with ties to a notorious gang of thieves and swindlers, although she's not one of the gang. But at least she doesn't think she can solve a murder because she makes great hats. She does use her family connections to solve the murders so she has some connection with the law or I should say, the lawless.

The Doctor

« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2019, 03:19:40 AM »
I'm currently reading Alice in Jeopardy by Ed McBain. It's the first McBain book I've ever read. It's good and I like the present tense used. I guessed the ending from the blurb alone, so I'll find out if I was right.

I've also made a book-related New Year's Resolution - to read one book before starting another.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2019, 06:20:16 AM »
Reading The Man in the Que by Josephine Tey.

I'm currently reading Alice in Jeopardy by Ed McBain. It's the first McBain book I've ever read. It's good and I like the present tense used. I guessed the ending from the blurb alone, so I'll find out if I was right.

I've also made a book-related New Year's Resolution - to read one book before starting another.

Since I read on different devices, I read a different book on each one and do my best not to cross over. So, it's one book at a time on a device, but four devices means four different books going at the same time.

The Doctor

« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2019, 06:25:19 AM »

Since I read on different devices, I read a different book on each one and do my best not to cross over. So, it's one book at a time on a device, but four devices means four different books going at the same time.

Oh gosh, I don't think I could do that. More power to you for juggling four books at a time!  Grin

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2019, 06:32:09 AM »

Oh gosh, I don't think I could do that. More power to you for juggling four books at a time!  Grin

Back in the Dark Ages, I kept a paperback in most rooms in the house, one in the car, and one at work. I'm just too lazy to carry a book (or a device) from one room to another.

spin52

« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2019, 02:14:26 AM »

I like Josephine Tey, too. 'Brat Farrar', 'The Franchise Affair' and 'The Daughter of Time' are my favorites. Oh, and 'Miss Pym Disposes'. Forgot that one.

The following users thanked this post: Dormouse

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:05 AM »
Just finished "The Dark Room" by Minette Walters. Excellent. Gripping. Some of the characters are really nasty and it gets a bit grim at times, but a great read. Definitely NOT a cosy mystery.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2019, 05:03:28 AM »

I like Josephine Tey, too. 'Brat Farrar', 'The Franchise Affair' and 'The Daughter of Time' are my favorites. Oh, and 'Miss Pym Disposes'. Forgot that one.

Just finished The Man in the Queue which is the first of the Alan Grant series by Tey. What a twist! No way could I see that coming although there were a few subtle hints.

Surprisingly, I finished three of my four current books all at the same time.

Murder's a Witch by by Danielle Garret. Not bad. Some interesting characters.

And for Non-fiction, Helmets and Lipstick: An Army Nurse in World War II by Ruth G. Haskell. Interesting glimpse into the workings of the medical corps in Africa, but they moved around so much it was impossible to invest in any of the people. That's part of the reality, though, isn't it. People being transferred, injured, sent home, killed. Close friendships are made through hardship and danger and those friendships could be torn apart at any moment.

I have a way to go on my audiobook because I only get to listen while I walk the dog. In the meantime, I need to start three more books to replace those I finished.