Author Topic: Pawing?  (Read 1360 times)

Doglover

Pawing?
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:07:52 PM »
When someone is 'pawing over a document' - This surely cannot be the right spelling of the word, can it? Yet, I can't think that poring or pouring are better. Perhaps my brain is seizing up with the quarantine or it's just age. What does everyone think?

Gerri Attrick

Re: Pawing?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:15:22 PM »
I would have said it is "poring" over a document. (To pore over means to study carefully).

Mind you, I quite like the idea of pawing over something. Do your dogs read your books. ;)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:57 PM »
Yes. Poring.

pore1
[ pawr, pohr ]
verb (used without object), pored, por·ing.
to read or study with steady attention or application: a scholar poring over a rare old manuscript.
to gaze earnestly or steadily: to pore over a painting.
to meditate or ponder intently (usually followed by over, on, or upon): He pored over the strange events of the preceding evening.

MHodmann

• Blurb unlocked
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:17:22 PM »

Doglover

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »
I would have said it is "poring" over a document. (To pore over means to study carefully).

Mind you, I quite like the idea of pawing over something. Do your dogs read your books. ;)
I have a puppy at the minute and she seems to want to imitate my typing on my laptop. I can't get it out until she is asleep!

Now you've all said poring, I can see where that is the right one. What other meaning can one give to that word? I wonder why I couldn't see it before? Perhaps old age and puppy dogs don't really mix.

okey dokey

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 10:46:18 PM »
to my mind,  "poring" means that I am reading or studying a document.
But once I put my hands on it to correct spelling or move words around, then I am "pawing" over it.