Author Topic: something the docs say is bad but you aren’t convinced?  (Read 9534 times)

Vidya

something the docs say is bad but you aren’t convinced?
« on: January 08, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »

On Jimmy Kimmel, Dr. Oz said Q-Tips should be used only to clean the outer ear. i’ve read articles on the net too that suggest using it inside the ear canal only does further damage, by forcing the inner wax further inside.

I tried what Dr. Oz suggested, and used the tip of my little finger covered with a soft cloth. He suggested hanky, I used a softer cloth.

It worked fine for some weeks but eventually I still felt wax was stuck in and could only be removed by the cotton swab.

Do you use Q-Tips? If they’re as bad as the docs say they are, how come so many people use them? i’ve never heard of anyone damaging their ears with them. have you?

Are there other things the docs say are bad but you aren’t convinced?

Jeff Tanyard

Re: something the docs say is bad but you aren’t convinced?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 07:47:53 PM »
I agree with Dr. Oz.  It's a bad idea to stick small objects in your ear.  Only insert things--like ear plugs--that can only go in so far.

I use a tissue on my finger like he says.  I do it after my shower when I've got some water already in my ears.

For cleaning my ears deep down where the finger can't reach, I use a rubber syringe similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Bulb-Ear-Syringes-oz/dp/B000LX4L4M/

Use warm water, not hot or cold.  Don't try to use the syringe to suck the wax out; only use it to squirt water in.  The water will dissolve the wax.  It takes a few minutes, though, so be patient and just keep squirting water in.  You'll want to lean over the sink when you do this, obviously, with your head tilted so the water runs out.  When you get to the point where no more wax is running out, the water is draining out of your ear quickly, and you can hear clearly, then you're good to go.  Use a tissue to wipe the excess water--and specks of wax that stuck to your skin--out of your ears.

Hope that helps.

Now, on to the question...

Are there other things the docs say are bad but you aren’t convinced?

Plenty.  Dietary fat and red meat, for example.

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Vidya

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 09:55:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure the 10+ diet supplements Dr. Oz has endorsed over the years are all bullsh*t.

I wish medical decisions were completely binary but the truth is the human body is pretty complicated. The pediatricians seem to be in CYA mode but my doctors I've been pretty happy with so far, conahura, knock wood.

I use q-tips. When I was a kid we got the inside of our ears cleaned whether we liked it or not. The way we fought it could definitely have resulted in some ear damage. There used to be q-tips that were thicker at the stick end so you couldn't insert them too deep unless you really jammed them in.

Vidya

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 10:16:40 PM »
I’ve read some people consider Dr. Oz a charlatan, but that doesn't mean he isn’t right about some things. I think i’ll try to use a hanky from now on.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:52:47 PM »
He could be right about a lot of things, but I hold him accountable for profiting off the crap supplements.

I like to dry the water inside my ears with my hair dryer. Going outside with water in your ears when it's subfreezing out feels lousy. Good luck with your hanky.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 03:32:14 AM »
It's not really the docs. It's the scientists. What's good this year is bad the next and back to good the year after that. I don't trust scientists and haven't for a long time.

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 04:06:06 AM »
Doctors, especially in the US, always hew to the safest course when dispensing advice, in order to protect themselves from litigation. There will always be a minority of people who misuse a tool like a Q-tip.

But the thing wouldn't be made the way it is if it wasn't (secretly) intended to stick into your ear. I've done it for decades with only one case of impacted ear wax, which may well have happened anyway.

Bottom line: develop some common sense.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 05:47:08 AM »
It's not really the docs. It's the scientists. What's good this year is bad the next and back to good the year after that. I don't trust scientists and haven't for a long time.
Oh dear. I love science very much. I don't trust the click bait articles on the internet which cherry pick which facts and sentences from scientific studies to scream about. IMHO science is the search for the pure truth. As technology advances, we will be able to know more and previously drawn conclusions may be proven wrong. I don't have a problem with that. A good scientist would rather have their conclusion be proven wrong by thorough unbiased experimentation than lie about it. But scientists are people and ego is a thing. No one is infallible.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 09:00:31 AM »
When Nina Teicholz was writing her book about dietary fat, and how the public had been sold a deadly lie (that saturated animal fat was bad for us), and learned what measures were taken to hide the truth, it shook her faith in everything.

I feel that way a lot, and it's unsettling.

But now I know that anything I think I know might be wrong. It's one thing to claim you question everything, but it's another thing to actually question everything.

Good science can be trusted. It's all we've got. It's the bad science in disguise you gotta watch out for.

Most people are sheep. And that's not a bad thing. It simply is what it is. 50% of people have below-average skills. It's up to the sheepdogs to protect the herd from the wolves.

(I do realize the irony of talking about science as an author who writes about magic.)

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, notthatamanda

elleoco

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 09:34:07 AM »
Well, I wear hearing aids, and believe me, they go farther into your ears than a piece of cloth over a finger can. And they are prescribed by - wait for it, doctors of audiology.

Yes, I use Q-tips.

LilyBLily

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »
Custom ear protection also goes into your ear canal, but I have proof it's useless when used alone. Some people need hearing aids and others, like me, need ear protection because too much noise is painful. I no longer attend movies without wearing earplugs. I don't sit in the first rows at the opera or the symphony. I vacuum, shred papers, mow, chainsaw, hedge clip, weed whack, and do other noisy chores only while wearing heavy duty ear protection of the kind used by people firing guns or guiding airplanes--and I wear such protection on top of the earplugs. I use noise canceling headphones on airplanes. Too much noise really hurts.

I agree with David. Some people will be idiots about Q-tips, so everybody avoids litigation by telling us not to use them as they obviously are meant to be used. They'd be made in a different shape if they truly were meant to be used differently.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »
I use the bulb syringe thingy myself and it works a treat. I just do it when I'm in the shower and come out with ears as clean as a whistle. I only do it about once a week because I'm sure there are some beneficial bacteria in there and you don't want to wash them away completely. Also, switching the shower head to Pummel and turning your ears up to it will do a decent job of cleaning that stuff out.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

PJ Post

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 12:26:50 AM »
Eggs are the worst!

I meant to say that they're a totally healthy source of protein.

Sorry folks, I really meant that the whites are good, the yolks are suicide on a plate.

My bad....turns out yolks are the bomb, totally good for us after all. Who knew?

So, so, so sorry...I had it right the first time: eggs are the worst!

Wait, what? Um...hang on a sec...eggs are....

Gluten is the worst!

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 12:40:18 AM »
I believe the correct term is "Gluten is worse than smallpox."

Every time I buy a bag of gluten at the supermarket I get a comment. I usually say I'm off to rob a bank. I probably shouldn't say that.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 01:08:44 AM »
Eggs are the worst!

Sorry folks, I really meant that the whites are good, the yolks are suicide on a plate.

My bad....turns out yolks are the bomb, totally good for us after all. Who knew?

Gluten is the worst!

Exactly!!! My dog loves the yolk, hates the white. I'll take his judgment, thank you.

Same with coffee, butter v margarine, half/half v. creamers.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 01:53:10 AM »
butter v margarine,

If butter was good enough for Julia Child, it's good enough for me.   :tup3b
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

j tanner

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 04:12:08 AM »
Exactly!!! My dog loves the yolk, hates the white. I'll take his judgment, thank you.

Your dog also loves dogcrap.

:popcorn:

:roll:

Back on the original topic... I do know someone who actually injured herself with a Q-Tip. Her story goes like this. She was cleaning her ear safely after taking a shower. She got distracted, but left the Q-Tip inserted in her ear. She forgot about the Q-Tip in her ear. She never noticed it by looking on the mirror in front of her sink or anything while continuing to get ready. Her ear felt plugged up with water. She hit that ear (not the opposite ear) with the palm of her hand. This jammed the Q-Tip further into her ear, severely damaging her eardrum according to the doctor she had to immediately go see due to the pain.

That's her story and she's sticking to it. My interpretation of her story is she was cleaning her ear with a Q-Tip, jammed it in way too far and damaged her eardrum and then was too embarrassed about it to tell the truth and look dumb. So, yeah, mission accomplished! :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:23:42 AM by j tanner »

j tanner

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 04:15:14 AM »
Eggs are the worst!

Gluten is the worst!

Ain't this the story of our lives with diet?

Saturated fats.
Food groups.
Red meat.
Coffee.
Wine.
Butter.
Grains.
How's bacon this week? Who the F knows...

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 04:54:12 AM »
True story.

Years ago, when we were courting, I told my husband about an article I'd read called The Drinking Man's Diet. It was based on the Atkins, low-carb diet, and for him, it worked.

However, he loves his food and didn't stay on it for long. He also smoked.

21 years ago he had a massive heart attack (and 5 cardiac arrests!) Only modern technology and the speed of the paramedics saved him. He spent 10 days in ICU and another week on a hospital ward and after all that time on hospital food, left the place a shadow of his former self. (He'd lost close to 50lbs.)

Then he attended cardiac rehab sessions, where he was told to lay off the fats and major on the bread, potatoes, and pasta. As a result, his weight ballooned and inside a year he was diagnosed as having type-2 diabetes. Sheesh.

He's now 68 and still battling his excess weight.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »
True story.

Years ago, when we were courting, I told my husband about an article I'd read called The Drinking Man's Diet. It was based on the Atkins, low-carb diet, and for him, it worked.

However, he loves his food and didn't stay on it for long. He also smoked.

21 years ago he had a massive heart attack (and 5 cardiac arrests!) Only modern technology and the speed of the paramedics saved him. He spent 10 days in ICU and another week on a hospital ward and after all that time on hospital food, left the place a shadow of his former self. (He'd lost close to 50lbs.)

Then he attended cardiac rehab sessions, where he was told to lay off the fats and major on the bread, potatoes, and pasta. As a result, his weight ballooned and inside a year he was diagnosed as having type-2 diabetes. Sheesh.

He's now 68 and still battling his excess weight.

On the other hand, my DH didn't smoke, didn't eat red meat, exercised daily, barely drank, and had a massive heart attack. Dead at 53 right in the cardiac ICU.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 09:13:55 AM »
Sadly, sick people are profit centers for drugs and medical devices. Big hospitals aren't built, stocked, and staffed to help keep people out of hospitals.

If I could go back in time and warn my past self, I would say: Cut the snacks, the grains, the seed oils, and the sugar. Eat as much red meat as you can afford. Get off the cardio hamster wheel and lift some heavy things.

I liked pie, but pie didn't like me.

The hardest part of living a healthy lifestyle is, weirdly enough, not pushing away the pie. It's having everyone around you think you're giving up more than you're gaining. It's having people who've given up and given in to entropy lecture you about "everything in moderation! You gotta die of something!"

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:24:03 AM by angelapepper »

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 12:02:13 PM »
On the other hand, my DH didn't smoke, didn't eat red meat, exercised daily, barely drank, and had a massive heart attack. Dead at 53 right in the cardiac ICU.

There are days when I think it's just a crap shoot. There are tons of stories of very healthy, fit people dropping dead at what we consider very young ages. People like Jim Fixx, Miles Frost and a ton of others. I'd add Len Bias to this list, but he died of stupidity.

Sudden Cardiac Death is a very real thing and a lot of times it kills an otherwise healthy person without warning. I think this is where we get the sayings, "Live every day as if it were your last." If you have things you want to accomplish during your lifetime, it's best not to wait until you think you've reached the perfect time.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »
Sadly, sick people are profit centers for drugs and medical devices. Big hospitals aren't built, stocked, and staffed to help keep people out of hospitals.

If I could go back in time and warn my past self, I would say: Cut the snacks, the grains, the seed oils, and the sugar. Eat as much red meat as you can afford. Get off the cardio hamster wheel and lift some heavy things.

I liked pie, but pie didn't like me.

The hardest part of living a healthy lifestyle is, weirdly enough, not pushing away the pie. It's having everyone around you think you're giving up more than you're gaining. It's having people who've given up and given in to entropy lecture you about "everything in moderation! You gotta die of something!"

I have a hard time convincing people that I need to be on a high protein diet. After 75 years, I certainly know my body and it's needs. Now I just ignore them.

idontknowyet

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 12:24:26 PM »
Custom ear protection also goes into your ear canal, but I have proof it's useless when used alone. Some people need hearing aids and others, like me, need ear protection because too much noise is painful. I no longer attend movies without wearing earplugs. I don't sit in the first rows at the opera or the symphony. I vacuum, shred papers, mow, chainsaw, hedge clip, weed whack, and do other noisy chores only while wearing heavy duty ear protection of the kind used by people firing guns or guiding airplanes--and I wear such protection on top of the earplugs. I use noise canceling headphones on airplanes. Too much noise really hurts.

I agree with David. Some people will be idiots about Q-tips, so everybody avoids litigation by telling us not to use them as they obviously are meant to be used. They'd be made in a different shape if they truly were meant to be used differently.
Vented or non vented earplugs. Because it makes a difference. My sister uses the vented day to day, but the non vented allow her to do more.

LilyBLily

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 01:06:47 PM »
Never even heard of the vented before, but I don't think they'd be useful in my situation. I'm not swimming; I'm doing noisy things and trying to avoid the noise of them. I'll talk to someone about their efficacy.

ingobernable

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 09:53:55 PM »
I don't use Q-tips. I used them when I was a kid and absolutely hated it (didn't hurt myself or anything, just felt gross about it), but then as I got older I realized it was pointless and that my little finger and some paper can do the job just fine.

idontknowyet

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 05:12:38 AM »
Never even heard of the vented before, but I don't think they'd be useful in my situation. I'm not swimming; I'm doing noisy things and trying to avoid the noise of them. I'll talk to someone about their efficacy.
My sister uses vented with filters all day every day. She even sleeps in them. The non vented she uses for anything past day to day noises like movies, malls, lawn mowers any thing loud which she usually ends up stacking headphones with.

LilyBLily

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 06:36:29 AM »
As far as stupid official dietary ideas are concerned, I curse the day the U.S. government promulgated the idea that we should eat pasta--and have a meatless meal--at least one day a week. Until that time, pasta had never been anything I thought about. My mother occasionally served some spaghetti with our heavily meat-oriented meals, and even more occasionally made a cheese sauce for it. I never thought about it, and I seldom bought or ate it. She even more occasionally served canned spaghetti in sauce from a can; I detested it.

Along comes the government telling us we should eat this stuff, and I spent some time learning how to make my own marinara sauce from scratch (huge waste of time) and we began eating pasta. Now I'm hooked on the stuff; I think about it the way most people think about pizza: guilty pleasure. It's white poison, and I can buy an entire pound for 77 cents. (I've tried the whole wheat kind; it's gritty and gross.) Pasta, like rice, is for me merely an excuse to load up with butter and throw myself into a carb coma. I don't even keep rice in the house, for that reason. I occasionally buy some pasta with the same guilty feelings I have when I buy ice cream. (I buy a pizza maybe once or twice a year. I like it, but it's not on my craving horizon.)

Bottom line, by following the government's dietary advice, I added a new food addiction into my diet. I certainly did not need it. This is why today I will not listen to anything the government says about diet.

I listen even less to doctors, who are so blind and who follow medical fashion so blindly it is ridiculous. There is plenty of historical evidence that a high-protein and high-fat diet is healthier and keeps weight in control and keeps sugar in control, and so on, but the fat-shaming in our culture continues apace--much of it by doctors. The stupid advice to load up on carbs happens despite the fact that vast numbers of carb groceries are processed and contain poisons that mess with human metabolism and have in one generation turned us into the fattest people on the planet.       

Tl;dr: Yeah, this qualifies as a rant.

The following users thanked this post: angela

notthatamanda

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 07:27:05 AM »
I usually have cauliflower rice on hand so when I'm serving pasta I just have that.  I'm just short old and female and I don't need those calories. I like my bread just fine though. I adjusted to it no problem but it's not for everyone. For what it's worth I think the meatless days started during WW II when it really was about sending food to the troops.  They pushed cottage cheese a lot as a protein substitute during the war.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
I usually have cauliflower rice on hand so when I'm serving pasta I just have that.  I'm just short old and female and I don't need those calories. I like my bread just fine though. I adjusted to it no problem but it's not for everyone. For what it's worth I think the meatless days started during WW II when it really was about sending food to the troops.  They pushed cottage cheese a lot as a protein substitute during the war.

Yes, that's true, but there has been a real push toward carbs in the last couple of decades. Somebody is always touting carbs to me. Sorry, folks. I know my body and I feel best on a high protein diet.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 09:41:46 AM »
The stupid advice to load up on carbs happens despite the fact that vast numbers of carb groceries are processed and contain poisons that mess with human metabolism and have in one generation turned us into the fattest people on the planet.

This is so true. Years of eating "poor", having to fill up on carbs (they're good for you! HA), made me diabetic. I'm still struggling to get healthy again, because carbs are so bad for me. But, I like them. :(

The "food pyramid" is propaganda pushed by the people who make loads of money selling us cheap "food" and by the health care industry who make loads of money treating us when we get sick for eating all that crap.

Add on all the chemicals involved with our food -- from pesticides to preservatives, coloring and flavor enhancements -- and you've got a recipe for disaster.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

The following users thanked this post: Edward M. Grant

Maggie Ann

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 09:47:15 AM »
The stupid advice to load up on carbs happens despite the fact that vast numbers of carb groceries are processed and contain poisons that mess with human metabolism and have in one generation turned us into the fattest people on the planet.

This is so true. Years of eating "poor", having to fill up on carbs (they're good for you! HA), made me diabetic. I'm still struggling to get healthy again, because carbs are so bad for me. But, I like them. :(

The "food pyramid" is propaganda pushed by the people who make loads of money selling us cheap "food" and by the health care industry who make loads of money treating us when we get sick for eating all that crap.

Add on all the chemicals involved with our food -- from pesticides to preservatives, coloring and flavor enhancements -- and you've got a recipe for disaster.

When I was in the hospital two years ago, I ordered a spinach/mushroom/cheese omelet for breakfast every day. Very yum. One day, they decided to put me on a diabetic diet and insisted I have a carb. I tried arguing, but it was no use and I gave in. Did I eat that English Muffin? Uh-uh. Love oatmeal, but I'm starving an hour later. Same with any kind of pasta unless I have meat with it. Those carbs just digest away on me and my blood sugar drops like a stone.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »

It all started with the fear of saturated fat. Then we got the perfect storm of inflammatory seed oils, sugars, and all those "heart-healthy" (cough cough) whole grains. Here in Canada, the push for vegan diets is going strong, thanks to new marketing push from the Department of Agriculture. It's so sad. I don't know a healthy vegan. I know it's possible, but the ones I know all live off canola oil and sugar, in various shapes.

Good for you that you are now addressing the issue! You can do it!

There are so many benefits to quitting that crap. I had a bad sun sensitivity, and now it's just gone. Husband and I are seeing health improvements all the time. We're carnivore-ish. People think we're nuts, tut-tutting us about our red meat consumption as they kill themselves on poinson bran muffins. But I've reviewed the science, and I'm living the results.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 09:54:56 AM »

It all started with the fear of saturated fat. Then we got the perfect storm of inflammatory seed oils, sugars, and all those "heart-healthy" (cough cough) whole grains.

Good for you that you are now addressing the issue! You can do it!

There are so many benefits to quitting that crap. I had a bad sun sensitivity, and now it's just gone. Husband and I are seeing health improvements all the time. We're carnivore-ish. People think we're nuts, tut-tutting us about our red meat consumption as they kill themselves on poinson bran muffins. But I've reviewed the science, and I'm living the results.

Bran muffins <shudder>

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 09:57:22 AM »
Bran muffins <shudder>

To be honest, I always liked them. LOL. Probably because they're packed with sugar and you can lie to yourself that it's healthy. But I'm off the muffins now, I swear!

LilyBLily

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
I love cauliflower. At a chain restaurant, I was served cauliflower with enough gorgonzola mixed in with it to feed three people. It was a side dish, for crying out loud. Let me add chain restaurants to my list of things I hate. The portions are insane.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 10:42:40 AM »
I love cauliflower. At a chain restaurant, I was served cauliflower with enough gorgonzola mixed in with it to feed three people. It was a side dish, for crying out loud. Let me add chain restaurants to my list of things I hate. The portions are insane.

I always get two more meals out of restaurant dinners.

notthatamanda

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
My new years resolution was to remember to bring my own Tupperware when we eat out, for leftovers.  Restaurant portions are ridiculous, unless you go somewhere very high end.

I'm kind of stunned about all the doctors/hospitals pushing carbs when people have diabetes. I've known about the glycemic index for more than twenty years and I'm not related to anyone diabetic (well, I expect that to change shortly but anyways).

We hear about the healthy plate here and that replaced the food pyramid a while ago.  Half your plate should be (non starchy) vegetables.

I make my husband muffins for his weekday breakfast. Cut way back on the sugar and load them up with fruit. Commercial produced muffins are ridiculous. Somehow a muffin just seems healthy than a donut, but the chains around here have to have their nutrition information displayed. At the largest donut chain most donuts are under 300 calories, some of the muffins are over 600.

lea_owens

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
Whatever you do - take care of your gut bugs and they'll take care of you. Stop eating whatever you want, and find out what they want you to eat. If they're happy, you'll have less colds and flus, less illness, and more overall happiness since the little blighters produce almost all of our 'feel good hormone' serotonin to reward us for feeding them properly.

What do they love? Pro-biotic foods for one. Like sauerkraut and high fibre foods. They're fine with a bit of meat since they evolved with us, but they're not overly rapt in really high meat diets. Raw vegetables like coleslaws are a favourite of theirs. We like to think we're such an evolved organism, superior to all others, but I suspect our gut bugs engineered us to ensure that they go on living - we are the bodies they built to ensure their survival. Take care of them.

elleoco

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »
When I was in the hospital two years ago, I ordered a spinach/mushroom/cheese omelet for breakfast every day. Very yum. One day, they decided to put me on a diabetic diet and insisted I have a carb. I tried arguing, but it was no use and I gave in. Did I eat that English Muffin? Uh-uh. Love oatmeal, but I'm starving an hour later. Same with any kind of pasta unless I have meat with it. Those carbs just digest away on me and my blood sugar drops like a stone.
The part of your post I bolded confuses me. All the recommendations I got for diet include an avoidance of much in the way of carbs (my bloodwork showed me crossing into prediabetes range a couple years ago). So the literature the doctor gave me and my own further research says carbs raise blood sugar and should be minimized and stuff like cauliflower fakes should be substituted for rice and pasta (and IMO cauliflower is cauliflower and doesn't vaguely resemble rice or pasta no matter how cleverly disguised).

You guys are lucky in liking protein and veggies. Personally, I'd be happy living on a diet of bread and potatoes with nothing else but fruit. Fortunately for me, I've lowered my blood sugar quite a bit losing weight and exercising. I do what I can with diet, and I'm lucky I don't have a sweet tooth, but for me eating right sucks.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »
The part of your post I bolded confuses me. All the recommendations I got for diet include an avoidance of much in the way of carbs (my bloodwork showed me crossing into prediabetes range a couple years ago). So the literature the doctor gave me and my own further research says carbs raise blood sugar and should be minimized and stuff like cauliflower fakes should be substituted for rice and pasta (and IMO cauliflower is cauliflower and doesn't vaguely resemble rice or pasta no matter how cleverly disguised).

You guys are lucky in liking protein and veggies. Personally, I'd be happy living on a diet of bread and potatoes with nothing else but fruit. Fortunately for me, I've lowered my blood sugar quite a bit losing weight and exercising. I do what I can with diet, and I'm lucky I don't have a sweet tooth, but for me eating right sucks.

Yup, confused me, too. My family is heavily diabetic and I know a bit about it. Of course, this was the same hospital when I was 73 years old told me I had COPD and the flu, but I wasn't at risk. They sent me home. Ended up being admitted three days later.

When I was there recently and told them I had a temp of 102.6 or 102.7 every day, they said my thermometer wasn't accurate. So, I used the ear thermometer and it registered 102.6 and then the mouth thermometer (the supposedly accurate one), and it registered 102.7. By golly, they were right. Mine was off by .1. They sent me home with a prescription for regular strength Tylenol. I tore up the prescription and the discharge instructions.

Whatever you do - take care of your gut bugs and they'll take care of you. Stop eating whatever you want, and find out what they want you to eat. If they're happy, you'll have less colds and flus, less illness, and more overall happiness since the little blighters produce almost all of our 'feel good hormone' serotonin to reward us for feeding them properly.

What do they love? Pro-biotic foods for one. Like sauerkraut and high fibre foods. They're fine with a bit of meat since they evolved with us, but they're not overly rapt in really high meat diets. Raw vegetables like coleslaws are a favourite of theirs. We like to think we're such an evolved organism, superior to all others, but I suspect our gut bugs engineered us to ensure that they go on living - we are the bodies they built to ensure their survival. Take care of them.

My gut tells me to stay away from probiotics except for acidolphilus (sp?) I eat a lot of yogurt. Dannon Vanilla. If probiotics work for you, fantastic. But they put me in agony. And yes, I've tried them for a full two weeks and my gut still told me to cut it out.

I do like sauerkraut but I haven't had it for a long time. I stopped buying it because the kids hated it and just got out of the habit.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2020, 03:05:33 AM »

I'm in Canada. Whenever one of my older diabetic or pre-diabetic family members goes into the hospital, they get fed plenty of toast, orange juice, pudding, etc. It's because the hospital's dietary guidelines come from groups with anti-meat religious beliefs (look into the origin of the Dietetics association) or the Department of Agriculture's food pyramid or plate or whatever bullsh*t they're calling it these days.

They don't build those giant hospitals to keep people out.

re: your diet sucking -- have you tried bacon? :-)  It's very nice, and you don't get sick of it.

By the way, I'm really glad to hear so many of my fellow authors are cutting the carbs! I'm around a lot of people who don't get it. I think indie authors are naturally suited to going against the mainstream sheep advice. :-) Go, you guys and gals!!

Rando health tips -- if you do better on high protein, you may have undermethylation issues. That's a portion of the population that benefits from some supplements. If you do well on a low-protein diet, you might be on the other end of the methylation spectrum. This is why there is no single diet that works perfectly for everyone. It's both genetic and epigenetic.

I'm an undermethylator (probably), so I take triphala nightly because it boosts glutathione. If I don't take it, I get tinnitus and low energy. I used to be against supplements, but now I understand it's more complicated. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:15:54 AM by angelapepper »

notthatamanda

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2020, 03:56:40 AM »
Okay, well, I guess I'll stop being mad about the giant deductible on top of the giant premium my family pays for medical insurance since it comes with less antiquated advice. 

In the interest of transparency though I will say I do eat carbs. Mostly I try to avoid factory processed stuff that designed to keep you eating by putting in just enough flavor to be interesting but not enough to be satisfying. My kids will push food away and say "I'm full but they put crack in it, so take it away from me." I'm probably going to get a call from the school sooner or later on that.

I don't miss pasta when I substitute cauliflower rice for it. I never liked plain white rice anyway (risotto on the other hand...) so subing in cauliflower rice for that is a no brainer. I make most of our bread and baked goods and cut way back on the sugar in the dessert fixings. No pork here though, raised Jewish, it's my one concession in case I get up there and they look at me funny. We don't have an up there either, but I like to hedge my bets, I'm a hedge better (more transparency).

AmHere

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2020, 04:27:32 AM »
[
I'm an undermethylator (probably), so I take triphala nightly because it boosts glutathione.

Is there a brand of triphala you would recommend?

Tom Wood

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 04:31:14 AM »

Homeopath horsesh*t peddler: "Well science doesn't know everything."
Science: "We know we don't know everything, otherwise we would stop."

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2020, 06:28:18 AM »
[
I'm an undermethylator (probably), so I take triphala nightly because it boosts glutathione.

Is there a brand of triphala you would recommend?

I buy the only kind they sell at the stores around here - Organic Traditions. If you've never taken it before, be warned it tastes terrible. Don't ruin a smoothie with it. I take a teaspoon in a bit of water before bed. For my fellow carnivore-ish folks, it is high in Vitamin C, so if you have any lingering worries about not guzzling orange juice from the Florida Citrus lobbying groups... here ya go.

I started the supplement after I read a book by an American neurologist who got sick herself and began looking into Ayurvedic medicine. Her name is Kulreet Chaudhary.

I know it's not cool to pay attention to any doctor who's written a book and been on Dr. Oz, but I was sick for a long time, and now I'm not, and it's only because I kept an open mind. :-) 

There are clinical studies showing triphala's effects on a bunch of things, including gum disease. (Reducing it!)

A lot of the stuff that works is crazy cheap and pretty easy. That's why you never hear about it. No profits for anyone else.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:31:29 AM by angelapepper »

The following users thanked this post: AmHere

Maggie Ann

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2020, 07:16:40 AM »
Angela, I do have a bit of bacon nearly every day. It is definitely yummy. But, years of conditioning against bacon fat makes it difficult to convince myself that bacon is good. I'm still fighting!

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
They don't build those giant hospitals to keep people out.

That's funny. We say the same thing about casinos here in Las Vegas. They don't build these billion dollar casino resorts to cater to the winners.   Grin

Vidya

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2020, 10:35:15 PM »
Angela, after reading your post I ordered this:

https://www.amazon.in/Jain-Triphala-Tablets-1000-Count/dp/B06Y6L2WZ5/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=Triphala&qid=1579022292&s=hpc&sr=1-30

yes, I ordered 1000 Triphala Tablets.

Then I asked a doc about them and she said they were very harmful. Her exact words were if you take them regularly, they’ll loosen the bowels. I guess she meant they would cause diarrhea if taken long term.

Now i’m afraid to take them. How long have you taken them and have you suffered any side effects? Does the Triphala I bought [see above] sound the same as what you’re taking?

I did take one tablet before consulting her. It had a laxatve effect but I didn't get a stomach ache as one reviewer complained he got.

I live in the home of Ayurveda but not everyone in India trusts Ayurvedic medicine. I’ve been told it can be harmful.

One doc told my mom once: “We can’t prescribe Ayurvedic medicine, only Allopathic.”

I suspect there’s some rule in India. Many docs distrust homeopathic medicine too.

Re high protein, i’ve read they inject hormones into chickens and livestock in the US to make them grow faster. And that can cause cancer. So isnt a high protein diet risky in that it might lead to cancer? Sure, there’s organic meat but that’s more expensive and I read once not all organic foods are truly free of chemicals.

I’d be very interested to read the responses of all of you on a high protein diet. don’t you worry about getting cancer from the meat? How much of fruits and veggies do you eat? I loathe veggies and should eat more but I can’t live without fruit. I crave at least one orange a day and some other fruit like papaya or mango when it’s in season.

and re bacon, isnt it processed meat and therefore carcinogenic?

Maggie Ann

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2020, 11:28:03 PM »
I'm 75 and have been on a high protein diet most of my life. No cancer yet.

I do eat a lot of veggies because I love them but not fruit. I can eat bananas and there is a recipe for one ingredient banana ice cream on the Internet. It's really good.

I can't eat strawberries or melons because of the high sugar content. When I was in the hospital four years ago, they had these huge, fresh strawberries that I ordered twice a day. When I left the hospital, my sugar was 350. Of course, the chocolate cake might have had something to do with it. Went really well with the strawberries. But I've had the problem with strawberries before without the chocolate cake or any other sugar. Now I just don't eat them. Too much fruit will also give me diarrhea. So will veggies for that matter, but not nearly as bad as fruit.

You're not supposed to grill meat either because that's said to be carcinogenic. A friend of mine told her doctor that he'd left her nothing to eat but water.

Scientists are paid by big companies and in order to keep their grant money, they must come up with the results that company is looking for. Now if they come up with a cure for cancer or crohn's or alheimer's, I'll bow down to them. 

LilyBLily

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2020, 12:04:51 AM »
All the non-GMO food in the world would not prevent lung cancer, for instance.

Shredded wheat has glyphosate residue. Lots of foods have other "interesting" chemicals, including some now laced with a chemical derived from marijuana. And we're eating ground-up plastic in sushi, according to various reports.

I no longer pick strawberries at the nearby farm because the amount of weedkiller they use is overpowering. I could smell it when I was picking. Laying down black plastic and straw should have been enough, but the rows reeked. And their baked goods, obtained from nearby suppliers, all have partially hydrogenated oils. Which in my book equals poison and I do my best to avoid. So, not a lot of healthy and natural at Ye Olde Country Farm type place after all.

Individual bodies react differently to different stimuli, or we'd all be dying right now.

Anarchist

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2020, 01:14:59 AM »
Red meat. I eat nearly 100% red meat (I'll occasionally have chicken or bacon). I've been doing so for years.

On the other side of the coin: no fiber. Docs still advise men to consume 38 grams per day. I get zero grams of fiber per day. lol
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Maggie Ann

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2020, 02:24:20 AM »
Red meat. I eat nearly 100% red meat (I'll occasionally have chicken or bacon). I've been doing so for years.

On the other side of the coin: no fiber. Docs still advise men to consume 38 grams per day. I get zero grams of fiber per day. lol

No fiber for me either. My gut can't take it.

I do like whole wheat bread. I was never a fan of white bread. Rye, pumpernickel, also great. But, I haven't been able to find a good whole wheat for quite some time.

Vijaya

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »
I grew up in India not consuming much sugar at all. It was a controlled substance in the house, like store-bought jam or ketchup. When we moved to the US, I noticed that everybody talked about low-fat this and low-fat that and I bought all the nonsense. Developed a craving for sweets. It's a drug. But even as I bought the lies, I was studying biochemistry and physiology and the problems we have with heart problems, obesity, diabetes, etc. all are pointing to sugar. When I got married and had my own kids, I became like my own mother, controlling sugar consumption. But when they started school, they had snacks and candy. I think more and more you have to use your own common sense and judgment. FYI, I use Q-tips for cleaning ears.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2020, 11:33:31 AM »
I grew up in India not consuming much sugar at all. It was a controlled substance in the house, like store-bought jam or ketchup. When we moved to the US, I noticed that everybody talked about low-fat this and low-fat that and I bought all the nonsense. Developed a craving for sweets. It's a drug. But even as I bought the lies, I was studying biochemistry and physiology and the problems we have with heart problems, obesity, diabetes, etc. all are pointing to sugar. When I got married and had my own kids, I became like my own mother, controlling sugar consumption. But when they started school, they had snacks and candy. I think more and more you have to use your own common sense and judgment. FYI, I use Q-tips for cleaning ears.

Growing up, we never had sweets or sodas in my house. Always good, home-cooked meals. I wouldn't let my kids have cereal or even jelly on their PB&J sandwiches. We never had dessert with our meals, either. My youngest still talks about it, but she definitely has a sweet tooth, though.

I don't use q-tips for cleaning my ears mainly because my problem is a lack of wax, not wax build-up.

elleoco

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
I never looked into that theory that people with different blood types should eat differently - probably because I don't even know my blood type. Still, I believe different people have different needs. I tried a high protein diet once. It left me all too often feeling queasy, and when that didn't stop after a few weeks, I gave it up. As a child I had to be forced to eat meat and of course eventually developed a taste for it.

Vidya

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2020, 02:03:42 PM »
Again, do none of you worry about getting cancer from hormone and chemical laden meat? Or do you buy organic?

LilyBLily

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
I like to joke that at my age I need all the hormones I can get. Grin

I do not bother to buy organic, ever.

People get cancer from so many things that GMO meat itself just doesn't seem that toxic. Of course I stay away from bizarre fake foods like pretend hamburger made out of soy and sawdust or whatever.   

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2020, 02:28:23 PM »
Again, do none of you worry about getting cancer from hormone and chemical laden meat? Or do you buy organic?

I'm not in the US, so hormone is not a problem here.

Chemical on the other hand is not so much meat, as grains. Our grain crops are so chemical polluted that I cant eat much in the way of bread. Its not a gluten problem which is in the family, but an intolerance to pesticides.

I use q-tips.

I've looked at eating vs blood type. O type blood people have a very hard time being vegetarians. An O type going vegan suddenly, is likely to suffer a major health breakdown as a result. Cutting out meat for them means they have to replace everything the meat supplied them using supplements, and if they get this wrong, it can be dire.

I had a major spiritual phase, and when doing group events, came across people who espoused vegetarian as the only way a spiritual person can live. Not getting into the argument here, but when I looked at them, I saw seriously sick people whose eating habits were basically killing them. Not everyone of course, but enough to make me research the whole thing.

Sugar is a big issue for me. And it's almost impossible to avoid it. The insidious thing about sugar is it takes 30 years for the problems to really manifest enough for anyone to take it seriously. And by then, it's too late, your body is seriously damaged already.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Vijaya

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »
I don't worry about getting cancer from hormone- or chemical-laden meat because 1) I played on asbestos sheets as a child 2) watched giant c*ckroaches get fat on DDT 3) and ingested birth control pills voluntarily for 15 yrs (talk about a poison). My mother died from stomach cancer over 30+ years ago; my brother beat it. If I'm to get cancer, I'll get it. The human body is amazing, what it can endure. People all over the world live on varied diets, what's available to them. As far as organic food, what we grow at home has zero pesticides. And everything else I wash first. I don't know my meat personally, but my husband is an award-winning barbecue griller, so it's all good. See this: https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com/2010/07/holy-smokes-are-winners.html

MaggieAnn, both my kids talk about how deprived they were but they concede they're better off now for the good habits instilled, but the sugar bug is hard to get rid of. Over Christmas I ate far too many sweets and felt like crap afterwards. I still have some ginger snaps that will probably go stale.   

Vijaya

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2020, 02:41:22 PM »
Sugar is a big issue for me. And it's almost impossible to avoid it. The insidious thing about sugar is it takes 30 years for the problems to really manifest enough for anyone to take it seriously. And by then, it's too late, your body is seriously damaged already.

This. That's why we stay away from processed food.

I like to joke that at my age I need all the hormones I can get. Grin

I do not bother to buy organic, ever.

People get cancer from so many things that GMO meat itself just doesn't seem that toxic. Of course I stay away from bizarre fake foods like pretend hamburger made out of soy and sawdust or whatever.   

This too.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2020, 02:44:59 PM »
watched giant c*ckroaches get fat on DDT

When the universe ends, the only beings left to see it will be c*ckroaches. They are nature's garbage disposal.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Vidya

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2020, 06:18:46 PM »
I worry about carbs because I’ve eaten white rice two or three times a day since childhood. Some months ago I happily posted i’d switched to quinoa. Well after a few months, I got sick of quinoa and am back to rice.

I can’t seem to help my rice addiction. This is a common problem for people from Asian, rice-based cultures. If I liked veggies, I could substitute that. I already eat meat but I can’t eat meat all the time. I just would not be able to force myself to eat that much meat.

I did eat brown rice for several months but got fed up of that. That’s when I switched to quinoa.

I plan to buy brown rice again but I fear again I won't be able to tolerate it for long. I don't know what to do. Then too, I eat Dawaat quick cooking brown rice that already has some of the chewiness taken out of it. But it’s still yuckily chewy.

Do you get good greens in the US? In india the spinach we get is so bitter I cant tolerate it. i’d love to eat more raw leaves if I could get good ones.

The only bright spot is i’m naturally thin and unable to gain weight no matter what. I hope that lessens the chances of getting diabetes. It should, right?

But my grandmother was also very slim and she did get diabetes, though only in her old age.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2020, 08:56:01 PM »

When the universe ends, the only beings left to see it will be c*ckroaches. They are nature's garbage disposal.

When the sun goes Red Super Giant in about 4 billion years and engulfs the Earth, we can take solace in the fact that the c*ckroaches will have met their match.

Maybe.   grint

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2020, 09:01:16 PM »
This is a common problem for people from Asian, rice-based cultures. If I liked veggies, I could substitute that. I already eat meat but I can’t eat meat all the time. I just would not be able to force myself to eat that much meat.

I don't think the rice diet is as harmful as some would believe. If you think back about forty or fifty years, the general picture of the Asian people was thin and fit. They lived long healthy lives, eating a ton of rice and veggies. Now, they have McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks and every other unhealthy choice we have and if you've seen videos of modern Asian cities, the people are starting to get a little chunky, like us Americans.

The following users thanked this post: Vidya, Anarchist

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2020, 11:11:43 PM »

When the sun goes Red Super Giant in about 4 billion years and engulfs the Earth, we can take solace in the fact that the c*ckroaches will have met their match.

By then they will have evolved for space and will simply move to a new planet in another solar system.

Oh wait, maybe I'm thinking of humans.

If so, c*ckroaches will go with them.

LilyBLily

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2020, 11:16:15 PM »
I know a man who as a child just after World War II was essentially fumigated with DDT--they all were. After that war, the population of Europe was a mess. He's over eighty and no sign of cancer.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2020, 11:18:45 PM »
I know a man who as a child just after World War II was essentially fumigated with DDT--they all were. After that war, the population of Europe was a mess. He's over eighty and no sign of cancer.

But what else has he been suffering with?

Maggie Ann

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2020, 11:43:39 PM »
I don't worry about getting cancer from hormone- or chemical-laden meat because 1) I played on asbestos sheets as a child 2) watched giant c*ckroaches get fat on DDT 3) and ingested birth control pills voluntarily for 15 yrs (talk about a poison). My mother died from stomach cancer over 30+ years ago; my brother beat it. If I'm to get cancer, I'll get it. The human body is amazing, what it can endure. People all over the world live on varied diets, what's available to them. As far as organic food, what we grow at home has zero pesticides. And everything else I wash first. I don't know my meat personally, but my husband is an award-winning barbecue griller, so it's all good. See this: https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com/2010/07/holy-smokes-are-winners.html

MaggieAnn, both my kids talk about how deprived they were but they concede they're better off now for the good habits instilled, but the sugar bug is hard to get rid of. Over Christmas I ate far too many sweets and felt like crap afterwards. I still have some ginger snaps that will probably go stale.   

Maybe twenty or thirty years ago (time has little meaning at my age), they warned us about grilling causing cancer.

If we listened to everything they warn us about, we'd never eat again.

I say, stop the dire warnings and put all your energies to finding cures for things like cancer and diabetes and alzheimer's.

Vijaya

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:18 AM »
MaggieAnn, I think big pharma and the govt. are in cahoots because it's big business. My mother never trusted anything artificial like margarine or pop tarts, though we did try all these interesting looking things in the grocery stores. I do love gummy bears though, which is as artificial as you can get.

Tim, c*ckroaches will survive even a nuclear holocaust.

Vidya, as dgcasey points out, most Asians love rice. It's when they switch to a western diet that they start having problems. And the culprit is the sugar hidden in many foods, esp. processed food. Dal-bhat and stir-fry are staples in our home, along with the meat. And fresh fruit for dessert.

I hated eating bitter spinach and methi too. Here, the grocery stores have baby spinach, which is very good. We grow most of our greens and they are chock full of flavor.

Genetics plays a big role in cancer. I've known people who died of lung cancer who never smoked and people who've lived a long life even while chain smoking, but that doesn't mean I would recommend smoking. It's all about being prudent--live as clean a life as possible and let the chips fall where they may. Eleven years ago, I got religion and that's what sustains me now.

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2020, 04:32:08 AM »

If one is trim then I can see managing the concerns of potentially carcinogenic chemicals. For the overweight, it's self-indulgent micromanaging.

The strongest carcinogenic factor, over which we have any control, is excess bodyfat. NIH and CDC data is crystal clear on the point. As is the foremost hospital for cancer treatment in the states, MDAnderson. An excerpt from their publications: "The link between obesity and cancer risk is clear. Research shows that excess body fat increases your risk for several cancers, including colorectal, post-menopausal breast, uterine, esophageal, kidney and pancreatic cancers."

The underlying factors involve estrogen via aromatase and systemic inflammation, both affect cell division and reproduction -- cancer being aberrant cell reproduction.
Tend to excess bodyfat, drink lots of unadulterated water, and get plenty of sleep... then, with all major ducks in a row, micromanaging more tenuous risk factors can make sense for the very conscientious.

In terms of the subject line question: saturated fat. The Ancel Keyes inspired, long-refuted lipid theory of CVD has done more damage to health in the US than anything else. It spawned the excess carb and sugar consumption which has precipitated a more than 800% rise in type 2 diabetes (and the unheard of until recent years occurrence of what was formerly known as "adult onset diabetes" in children) and the obesity wave. And it particularly affects men as dietary cholesterol from saturated fat is a necessary precursor to healthy testosterone production.
Moreover statins, the most widely prescribed drug except for painkillers, have an adverse impact on T in men, as well as impairing the neurological health of both sexes (fat being the primary constituent of neural tissue) due to its effects on cholesterol (a point related to the general Keyes/lipid point though not directly tied to the point about dietary saturated fat).

edited because I typod CDV instead of CVD 🙄
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:11:12 AM by Luke Everhart »
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

The following users thanked this post: Vidya, Captain Cranky, angela, notthatamanda

Maggie Ann

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2020, 04:42:07 AM »
My doc recommended red yeast rice to reduce my cholesterol. It's just above normal. I take passion flower for essential tremors and liquid iron with vitamins. I eat a bite of Kosher dill pickle before lunch and dinner for acid reflux (Vlasic babies).

Whatever I can find something natural for, I take.

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2020, 05:02:09 AM »
The only bright spot is i’m naturally thin and unable to gain weight no matter what. I hope that lessens the chances of getting diabetes. It should, right?

But my grandmother was also very slim and she did get diabetes, though only in her old age.

It lessons it to the extent that the systemic inflammation from excess bodyfat isn't present -- inflammation figures prominently in the mechanism of diabetes and is an exacerbating factor.
However, as your grandmother's example indicates, it isn't necessary to be fat to get type 2 diabetes. Being fat correlates with diabetes simply because it's a visible proxy for the underlying cause: a consistently excessive caloric load (notably glycemic load (from carbs) but gluttony, even with moderate carb consumption, can cause it over time) that precipitates an ever increasing supply of insulin to cope with it, in turn reducing the sensitivity of cells to insulin. The damage occurs before the excess calories are deposited as fat, so activity or high BMR can prevent the accumulation of bodyfat but not the metabolic damage.
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

The following users thanked this post: Vidya, angela

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2020, 07:48:45 AM »
Luke, I'm glad you've been reading the same stuff I have been! More power to us, the people, as we all share the "red pill" truth and compassionately try to help each other.

I got into some arguments yesterday over nutrition, and I was feeling terrible about myself, but then this morning I got an email from a family member whose life has been turned around (thanks to my advice), and wants me to talk to a group of their friends.

I'm so glad to be part of a great writers' community where we can support each other and have such a thoughtful, civil discussion.