Author Topic: The perils of video conferencing  (Read 1715 times)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
The perils of video conferencing
« on: March 27, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
Now that many of us are in lockdown/lock down/lock-down and have to work from home, video conferencing is becoming the norm.  But there are a few things that should be taken into consideration:

Video interviews

•   Skype videos open a window into your home, so check what viewers will see in the background. Do you want the world to see your untidy bookshelves, backs of doors with clothes hanging on them, or your general clutter? If you have a laptop, take it somewhere that will show your home off to the best advantage. (There should be an app that will provide a blank or pleasing background!)

•   Make sure that background plants and standard lamps don't look as if they are growing out of your head. If there is a window behind you check that there is no distracting traffic or pedestrians.

•   Close doors to shut out extraneous noise. Make sure children are properly supervised and any barking dogs are out of earshot.

•   Tell the family what time the interview will take place so that they are aware they should not make a noise. Post someone near the front door to prevent a visitor ringing the bell (and setting the dogs barking).

•   Watch the lighting. Is light reflecting from your reading glasses? Good natural light is probably best, but you can check what your webcam software recommends.

•   Position the webcam so that your face is seen to the best advantage. Viewers don't want to see up your nose, so avoid looking down at the camera - it will also emphasise a double chin! Remember to look directly at the webcam and not at the screen. Place the laptop on some books or a box to raise it to eye level.

•   Skype a friend or family member beforehand to ask how you look.

•   Prior to the interview, make sure everything is working properly and nothing needs charging, and that you have decent connectivity.

•   As it is a small screen this is not the time for expansive gestures. Keep your gestures to a minimum otherwise they will become distracting.

•   Watch for cues that the interviewer wants a turn to speak. Time delays can make a 'normal' conversation difficult.

•   Dress the same as you would for a normal interview so that you look professional. Leave off jangly or noisy jewellery.

•   Make a note of important facts and figures. Write them large enough to be read without having to put on your reading glasses, and keep them on cue cards so that you can easily glance at them.

Hope these tips help.  grint  They are an extract from one of my books.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: The perils of video conferencing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 07:37:36 PM »
It is possible to put any picture behind you now, using specific software like Chromacam. Sometimes it needs to be used through Manycam to connect into other software.

But it needs a computer with some grunt and good graphics.  My Surface Pro 6 tablet cant manage it, while my much older games computer with a graphics card upgrade can.

Makes a huge difference to whatever is behind you. There are plenty of vids out there now, where they forgot to clean up behind them.

I use a poster of my books as background.

The hands thing is a shocker. My last attempt I even ended up saying "and I'll be careful with that finger next time."  :icon_mrgreen:

Definitely do a reasonable dummy run before doing it live.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Lynn

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 07:40:52 PM »
Those are great tips. :D
Don't rush me.

VanessaC

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 08:32:50 PM »
Great tips, Jan, thank you.

I discovered the other day that Canva will integrate with Zoom and provide you with backgrounds - my house is never, ever, tidy, so will definitely be looking into this if I ever need to video conference for work.

Genre: Fantasy

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 08:50:18 PM »
It is possible to put any picture behind you now, using specific software like Chromacam. Sometimes it needs to be used through Manycam to connect into other software.

But it needs a computer with some grunt and good graphics.  My Surface Pro 6 tablet cant manage it, while my much older games computer with a graphics card upgrade can.

Makes a huge difference to whatever is behind you. There are plenty of vids out there now, where they forgot to clean up behind them.

I use a poster of my books as background.

The hands thing is a shocker. My last attempt I even ended up saying "and I'll be careful with that finger next time."  :icon_mrgreen:

Definitely do a reasonable dummy run before doing it live.

Thanks for the info.  :Tup2: What we need is a simple App that doesn't take loads of technical skills.  :icon_rolleyes: Glad you learned to watch your finger  grint

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 08:53:22 PM »
Great tips, Jan, thank you.

I discovered the other day that Canva will integrate with Zoom and provide you with backgrounds - my house is never, ever, tidy, so will definitely be looking into this if I ever need to video conference for work.

Glad you found the tips useful.  :icon_cool: . It's always interesting to see the backgrounds of people being interviewed. I often find myself trying to read the titles of the books on their bookshelves.  :hehe

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 08:55:41 PM »
Those are great tips. :D

Thanks. Hope you can make use of them.  Grin

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 08:56:41 PM »
Worldcon is going to be virtual this year, and I'm still hoping to be on a few panels. (I may be delusional of course.)

Chromacam is pretty simple. You run it, and it sits there with a useless screen. You run your vid software, go into settings, choose Chromacam instead of your cam name, and the cam will start. The Chromacam screen will then change, you click on backgrounds, and drag whatever image you want into there, then click on it. Back in the Vid program, you should now be showing against the image, and not whatever mess is behind you.

Sometimes you need Manycam, which is just as simple, but this is a program designed to allow people to mix cams on multiple streamer sites at the same time, hence programs like Skype prefer it. So you get your cam and background selected in Manycam, and it gets used by programs like skype, when you choose Manycam as the input device.

Is easier than it sounds.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 11:13:22 PM »
Worldcon is going to be virtual this year, and I'm still hoping to be on a few panels. (I may be delusional of course.)

Chromacam is pretty simple. You run it, and it sits there with a useless screen. You run your vid software, go into settings, choose Chromacam instead of your cam name, and the cam will start. The Chromacam screen will then change, you click on backgrounds, and drag whatever image you want into there, then click on it. Back in the Vid program, you should now be showing against the image, and not whatever mess is behind you.

Sometimes you need Manycam, which is just as simple, but this is a program designed to allow people to mix cams on multiple streamer sites at the same time, hence programs like Skype prefer it. So you get your cam and background selected in Manycam, and it gets used by programs like skype, when you choose Manycam as the input device.

Is easier than it sounds.

Thanks. I'll still in the process of updating Skype after moving over to W10.  :icon_rolleyes:

cecilia_writer

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 03:34:16 AM »
Thanks Jan - this is very timely as someone I know has suggested doing readings (as a sort of group) in Zoom. I've already learned how to use WhatsApp (for family), Teams (for work) and GoToMeeting (for my local committee meetings) in the last couple of weeks, so surely I can manage Zoom as well! I also saw the Canva thing mentioned above by Vanessa so that will be another thing to learn as my house is never good enough to be on show.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 11:15:17 PM »
Don't forget to turn off or mute your cell phone, and make sure your landline can't be heard if it rings.  Grin