Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 309875 times)

Lynn

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1800 on: November 08, 2020, 01:46:13 AM »
205 yesterday

I finally seem to be getting back into a groove with writing, although my word counts remain low. I'm finding myself having to re-read large swaths of my stories and make changes as I go because I'm not in the same headspace I was when I started them. But at least I'm writing again. :)
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1801 on: November 08, 2020, 03:34:50 AM »
I've been struggling with this novel (HW4) recently, so yesterday I did 500 on HW4 and 1500 on the next book in a different series. It was so much fun writing the opening chapter of Conundrum in Gold I almost switched them permanently.

Last night I sat down and plotted the next bit of HW4 though, and once I did that it started flowing again.

Not that I'm writing tonight.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1802 on: November 10, 2020, 06:35:39 AM »
I'm already excited for Conundrum and I haven't even read Enigma yet.

1208 today. Going to try really hard to do 5 days in a row this week, but no school Wednesday so we'll see.

Lynn

« Reply #1803 on: November 10, 2020, 07:09:37 AM »
1221 yesterday. Better than it's been in a while!
Don't rush me.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1804 on: November 10, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »
Over 2000 words yesterday.   :banana:

I've made some diet-and-exercise changes recently, and I think they've helped.  I've been sluggish and tired most of the year, but I'm starting to get some energy back.  My 2020 output has been abominable, so I'm really hoping that yesterday's word count signals a change for the better.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1805 on: November 10, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
Still plugging away.  I'm doing Nanowrimo so my min is 1700-something per day. I managed 3200 yesterday after a string of low-ish figures, and HW4 has definitely turned the corner now.

Agreed on the exercise - I've become a bit of a sloth since taking up writing again, and the easiest solution would be to just get on my bike for a quick 20 min ride each day.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1806 on: November 11, 2020, 05:12:32 AM »

I had planned to do more but kid needs a ride across town, to work on homework.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1807 on: November 11, 2020, 05:54:47 AM »
2000 today, plus 500 words of notes for a savage plot twist.  It means changing a few bits and pieces already written, but nothing too major.  I'm only glad the beta readers have only seen the first four chapters so far ;-)

notthatamanda

« Reply #1808 on: November 13, 2020, 05:41:51 AM »
979 today.

Maybe half way done with this chapter. Next chapter is going to be a happy one, so I am excited to get to it.

Lynn

« Reply #1809 on: November 14, 2020, 03:24:47 AM »
979 today.

Maybe half way done with this chapter. Next chapter is going to be a happy one, so I am excited to get to it.

I'm always more excited to write the unhappy chapters in my books. :D

I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. This week's words have been up across the board, with more time put in at the chair and computer. That's a good sign. It doesn't feel like a strain to sit for 4 hours and work at it after a run of days where even 15 minutes at the computer was enough to make me want to just give it all up because it felt too hard. :) Now I feel like a drama queen for all that angst. :D

S 1,221
M 769
T 609
W 1,326
T 879

I'm trying to do Nano, too, but as you can see, I'm pretty far off the mark of the daily word count!
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1810 on: November 14, 2020, 03:45:46 AM »
I feel like I am being mean to the characters by making bad things happen to them. But no conflict, no story, sigh.

499 today.

Lynn

« Reply #1811 on: November 14, 2020, 03:52:44 AM »
But no conflict, no story, sigh.

I've read stories like that. Or I should say, I've started reading stories like that. They don't last long on my ereader.

I'm really hoping to have my best day in a long while today. I'm working on finishing a short story that isn't nearly as short as it was supposed to be. Still, I have hope...
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1812 on: November 14, 2020, 04:33:11 AM »
Good luck!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1813 on: November 15, 2020, 07:58:41 AM »
Just under 2k.  I had no plot outline for this one, and I've managed to reach the 40k mark of a 55-60k novel without knowing exactly where it was going. (I always assume 'showdown with the big bad', but it's how to set it up and resolve it.)

notthatamanda

« Reply #1814 on: November 18, 2020, 01:57:31 AM »

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1815 on: November 18, 2020, 07:54:39 AM »
Going well!

About 2k today, and a great new character just inserted itself into the plot.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1816 on: November 20, 2020, 07:24:15 AM »
1214. And, and, I got my first preorder for it.  :banana: It's so immensely flattering that someone liked the first book enough to go ahead and commit to the second this far out.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Lorri Moulton

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1817 on: November 20, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »
1214. And, and, I got my first preorder for it.  :banana: It's so immensely flattering that someone liked the first book enough to go ahead and commit to the second this far out.

That's great news!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet

notthatamanda

« Reply #1818 on: November 20, 2020, 07:28:09 AM »
Thanks!

notthatamanda

« Reply #1819 on: November 21, 2020, 06:30:05 AM »

Struggling with motivation to do anything today.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1820 on: November 24, 2020, 01:37:32 AM »

I got to figure out when I'm going to start cooking. The temptation to save it all for Thursday morning is pretty strong.

idontknowyet

« Reply #1821 on: November 24, 2020, 02:09:16 AM »

:banana: :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, notthatamanda

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1822 on: November 24, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »
As an update, if anyone remembers me or, for that fact, cares, I finished March averaging 177.42 words per day.  I improved in April at 273.33 words per day, then went down in May to 246.13 and dropped further in June to 177.17.  Bounced back in July at 300/day, followed by August at 500/day.  Hit 815/day in September, but dropped to 600/day in October.  But, in October, I only wrote 1,200 words over two days because I finished the space opera.  Finally.

At any rate, the book was originally going to be around 50k, then 75k or 80k (who can remember anymore?), then 90k and, finally, I figured 125k maximum.

I was a bit off the mark there, ending the book at around 186k words.

At any rate, the book was \So, at the current rate, that's another 3-4 months before this book is complete.  It bears repeating that this was a book I started four and a half years ago with the improbable plan of finishing it in ten days.  LOL.

Was off the mark there too as it took about 7 months to complete rather than 3-4 months.

Presenting, I am working on two other novels.  Barely managing a handful of words each day.  Was doing better on the one, but started to stall when I reached the point where I realized I kind of need to rework the whole thing, except for the first two maybe three chapters which seem to work.  The other stalled out when I pretty much ended a chapter and haven't figured out where it's going from there.  So, basically, I tweak that chapter every day for the past couple weeks or more.

In the meantime, I am editing the space opera.  Finished the first run-through which was mainly for note-taking so I can watch for and check for any continuity errors as I go through a second pass.  About a third of the way through that second pass where I am doing the actual editing and fixing any errors previously noted.  Will likely need a third pass-through as a final check on continuity.  Spending five years writing a novel means you sometimes forget what already happened or what tech was available or what the interior of the ship looked like.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

notthatamanda

« Reply #1823 on: November 24, 2020, 09:28:13 AM »
Welcome back. Good luck with the editing.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1824 on: November 24, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »
Welcome back!

I've had two dire writing days, but they both followed dire nights of very little sleep. I never try to write when I'm that tired - the result is usually drivel.

Hopefully today I can get a solid 2k in.  It's only 7.30am here and I've been up since 4, so writing time starts soon.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1825 on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:53 AM »
Congrats to everyone on the word counts!

Welcome back, Dan!!!

I've been working on my website and doing research on a new series and some editing.  I don't really count any of that as writing...although it's all a part of the process and the business.

I plan to start my next WWII short story in a few days.  Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!  :dog1:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

idontknowyet

« Reply #1826 on: November 24, 2020, 01:00:38 PM »
As an update, if anyone remembers me or, for that fact, cares, I finished March averaging 177.42 words per day.  I improved in April at 273.33 words per day, then went down in May to 246.13 and dropped further in June to 177.17.  Bounced back in July at 300/day, followed by August at 500/day.  Hit 815/day in September, but dropped to 600/day in October.  But, in October, I only wrote 1,200 words over two days because I finished the space opera.  Finally.

At any rate, the book was originally going to be around 50k, then 75k or 80k (who can remember anymore?), then 90k and, finally, I figured 125k maximum.

I was a bit off the mark there, ending the book at around 186k words.

At any rate, the book was \So, at the current rate, that's another 3-4 months before this book is complete.  It bears repeating that this was a book I started four and a half years ago with the improbable plan of finishing it in ten days.  LOL.

Was off the mark there too as it took about 7 months to complete rather than 3-4 months.

Presenting, I am working on two other novels.  Barely managing a handful of words each day.  Was doing better on the one, but started to stall when I reached the point where I realized I kind of need to rework the whole thing, except for the first two maybe three chapters which seem to work.  The other stalled out when I pretty much ended a chapter and haven't figured out where it's going from there.  So, basically, I tweak that chapter every day for the past couple weeks or more.

In the meantime, I am editing the space opera.  Finished the first run-through which was mainly for note-taking so I can watch for and check for any continuity errors as I go through a second pass.  About a third of the way through that second pass where I am doing the actual editing and fixing any errors previously noted.  Will likely need a third pass-through as a final check on continuity.  Spending five years writing a novel means you sometimes forget what already happened or what tech was available or what the interior of the ship looked like.
Missed you big time--- though with all the name change i didnt know it was you.

Welcome back!!!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1827 on: November 24, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »
...I finished the space opera.  Finally.

Congratulations!  And welcome back.  :)

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1828 on: November 24, 2020, 11:31:37 PM »
2500 today.  About 4500 left to finish Nanowrimo 2020, and about 8k left to finish this novel.  Into the big boss battle tomorrow.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1829 on: November 25, 2020, 05:20:41 AM »
1544 - Very powerful chapter I think. Backstory on MC something that happened in her childhood that really shaped certain events as she got older. I didn't even know what had happened until today.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Lorri Moulton

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1830 on: November 25, 2020, 07:28:28 AM »
I didn't even know what had happened until today.

That describes my novel-writing process nicely.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1831 on: November 28, 2020, 09:41:05 AM »
I decided to resurrect my pen name yesterday.  A few of my books just don't fit well with my brand...but I think/hope this will give me the ability to have fun with my slightly steamier books.  And I have to be careful even using that term because they're maybe PG to PG-13. :heart:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1832 on: November 28, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »
I got 1200 done yesterday and finished off NanoWrimo.

I'm still about 3k from finishing this novel, and after a good night's sleep I'm aiming to get the whole thing done today. We'll see!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1833 on: November 28, 2020, 04:55:17 PM »
4300 today, and my latest novel is complete. I've printed it off, and now it's time to red-pen the thing to within an inch of its life!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1834 on: November 30, 2020, 02:50:13 PM »
Thanks all.

On the one novel, I think I'm going to work on it (i.e., pointlessly tweak it) for the last time tomorrow (being that it's the last day of the month) and table it until I have a better idea of where it's going.  Might end up removing the current chapter I've been endlessly tweaking or heavily editing it.  Just have to figure out where it's going.

The other is a space opera that's supposed to be humorous.  This is the one where the first two or three chapters are good but the rest needs lots of work.  Part of the problem is I've combined the first chapter of an intended space opera with four or five short stories I'd previously written.  I merged/reworked characters and such initially, then did another run-through where I further refined them and now I need to do another overhaul to better work them in together as well as tweak the stories.  I'm pleased with one character change where I actually made one character into two.  But I need to further reduce characters as well as figure out how to better work one of the stories into the plot better.  Might be smarter to eliminate it entirely but I've already taken its villain so will figure out a way to better rework it in.

Toying with the idea of also making an animated series with it, either doing the novel also as an animation series or following up the novel with one.  Will also allow me (maybe) to make use of some of the many alien characters I've drawn.

Still editing the "serious" space opera.  Almost halfway through.  Think I lost my beta reader so I may have to be my own beta reader after editing.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1835 on: November 30, 2020, 04:55:54 PM »
Finished the edits on my light-hearted/humorous sf title, and promptly wrote 1k of the next book (Victorian ghost novel, 3rd in series.)

It's surprising to me how much easier the words come for the ghost novel series, and I suspect it has a lot to do with it being written in first person. Plus it's written in 19th century style, which tends to be wordier - and yet easier to write.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1836 on: December 01, 2020, 05:16:23 AM »
1082. Getting close to the end. Need to jot down a few notes about the final chapters.

LilyBLily

« Reply #1837 on: December 01, 2020, 07:49:00 AM »
I got to 50k on my NaNo novel yesterday. November is the only month in which I make the commitment to produce X new words each day. The rest of the year I'm much slower.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1838 on: December 01, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »
I think I did a total of 80 words, but I'm figuring out the plot plus I did a long and gruelling day-night race at Sebring in the Aussie V8 supercars series. Need a day off sometime!

(Pic isn't Sebring, but it is my car!)

notthatamanda

« Reply #1839 on: December 02, 2020, 05:26:14 AM »

I can't talk car racing, but I hope you had fun.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1840 on: December 03, 2020, 02:49:53 AM »
My mother bought a Christmas banner to hang up at her house.  I won't say where it was made.

In other news, I wrote five words yesterday.  Maybe ten.  Hard to keep count at those awe-inspiring numbers.

More than halfway through editing the space opera.  Barely.  So far, so good.  I know there is a weak chapter later in the book that I've known I need to do something with.  Had a great idea when I started it but, as happens from time to time, I lost the plot by the time I finished writing it.  But, this morning I came up with a better idea how to end the chapter that makes for a better ending for the chapter and also ties into an earlier chapter.  I should write this down before I forget . . .

notthatamanda

« Reply #1841 on: December 03, 2020, 05:19:07 AM »
I would restring them.

914 today. Inching towards the first finish line.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1842 on: December 03, 2020, 06:08:17 AM »
I would restring them.

It will be.  But, the question is, are the snowman and Santa heads reversed as well?  Or, did they only reverse the letters?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1843 on: December 03, 2020, 07:49:17 AM »
On the one novel, I think I'm going to work on it (i.e., pointlessly tweak it) for the last time tomorrow (being that it's the last day of the month) and table it until I have a better idea of where it's going.

I did do that.  Didn't do anything with it yesterday.  Feels weird to not work on it but, on the other hand, "working on it" was largely equivalent to paddling a canoe in a circle on a plastic sheet with a couple inches of water in the backyard.  You move around and your arms get tired but you're not going anywhere.  Plus, one of the oars ripped through the plastic sheeting and the water is leaking out.  And, holy cow!  Has no one thought of the earthworms?  They try to escape the saturated ground but they hit the plastic and they're stuck with water continually seeping in.  Oh, the nematodality!

Need to figure out what to work on after the space operas.  Perhaps too soon to make a determination.  About a month or more ago, I thought I wanted to work on the romance I had thought up quite a while back.  Went searching for my notes only to find none.  Somewhat disappointing because I had come up with a cool name for the female lead and did not write it down anywhere.  Remember the first name but not entirely sure on the last.  I have what I think it might be but then also I think I might have had something better.  Also, not entirely sure on the first name as I'm thinking perhaps I changed that as well as I think, maybe, a real person had the first name I thought I invented.  Should probably search online but then don't know if I want it showing in search results if no one else has thought of it.  Real quandary.  As for the guy, don't think I had a name for him.  Only notes I had were a private discussion I had on here with one of you.  And I was vague as I am prone to be.  So, again, thought I had more than what I had.  Still, though, I have ideas for like two chapters and then I'm not sure how the two actually meet.  If I knew how people actually managed to meet each other, probably would be easier.  Also, I could ask my wife for ideas.  You know, the woman I married a couple years ago according to online searches on myself.  I've yet to meet her, of course, so that's proving to be a challenge.  I can ask all I want but no one answers.  Except the cat but she doesn't speak English, except, possibly, for the word "now."

There's also a humorous time travel adventure story I want to finish.  I have two or three chapters done, plus I know how it ends.  I like the ending, even though I've not written it yet, but it'll be funny, I think.  Also a bit sad and mean, but these are fictional characters so it's okay.  Also, I have a good idea of the whole middle section, which is often the challenge, you know.  You have a great beginning and a great end, but then you're kind of missing that whole important transition between the two.  What you might call the bulk of the book.  In this case, however, I know mostly what it is.  But, these past couple years, I don't seem to be able to do well with the humor anymore and since the chapters done so far are to my previous level of humor, it would be a challenge, right now, to maintain that through the rest of the book.  Which is disappointing.  I think I'd enjoy reading it myself if it were finished.

Lynn

« Reply #1844 on: December 03, 2020, 08:23:38 AM »
But, these past couple years, I don't seem to be able to do well with the humor anymore and since the chapters done so far are to my previous level of humor, it would be a challenge, right now, to maintain that through the rest of the book.  Which is disappointing.  I think I'd enjoy reading it myself if it were finished.

Not sure how much of this post was tongue-in-cheek, but I've actually been having a similar problem this year. I've been trying to write a humorous book in a series of humorous books and it has been the most difficult book I've written yet, but only because I just can't seem to get the humor going in it.

My wit (slow already) has apparently died.

The book should have been finished a year and a half ago.
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1845 on: December 03, 2020, 10:03:31 AM »
My ten book humorous SF series started out with pratfalls and toilet humour 20 years ago, and yet the recent prequel novel was reviewed by one reader as 'mildly depressing'.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1846 on: December 03, 2020, 11:39:18 AM »
Humor is difficult to write precisely because it's so subjective.  I try to have a funny line or moment every now and then in my own books, but it's not something I'm very confident about.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1847 on: December 04, 2020, 02:30:27 AM »
Not sure how much of this post was tongue-in-cheek, but I've actually been having a similar problem this year. I've been trying to write a humorous book in a series of humorous books and it has been the most difficult book I've written yet, but only because I just can't seem to get the humor going in it.

My wit (slow already) has apparently died.

The book should have been finished a year and a half ago.

I'm being totally serious.  The humorous space opera, for example, should have been done a while back.  Granted, there are difficulties as I've mentioned that I'm combining multiple short stories into one but that's not as big a problem as trying to keep it funny.  It's 38k now and my target is 30k-40k with it.  But it needs a lot of work yet.

My plan was to release the humorous space opera before the serious one.  Not that they're related or anything, but I thought it might be beneficial to have two books in the same genre released within 30 days of each other.  Don't know if there will be any crossing of readers from one to the other, but I'm thinking maybe more in terms of visibility.  I don't know.  That's just been the plan anyway.  I had thought it wouldn't take long to finish the humorous space opera since the bulk of the writing was done and it was mainly about tying them all together into a coherent whole.  But the humor side is still the challenge now whereas it used to be more natural.

My ten book humorous SF series started out with pratfalls and toilet humour 20 years ago, and yet the recent prequel novel was reviewed by one reader as 'mildly depressing'.

At least you have readers.  I'm hoping by having books in actual, recognized genres that people read will net me some.

Humor is difficult to write precisely because it's so subjective.  I try to have a funny line or moment every now and then in my own books, but it's not something I'm very confident about.

The serious space opera has humorous moments.  I don't worry too much over how well the humor works because, if it isn't seen as humorous, it still defines the characters.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1848 on: December 04, 2020, 02:55:01 AM »
Wrote 60 words yesterday in the humorous space opera, which allows me to barely remain qualified to still post in this thread.  But, most of those words were in adding a descriptor to a specific character, which will make it easier when I rewrite (again) these parts I'm working on.

Still editing the serious space opera.  Went through about 2.33 chapters last night.  Then I realized one thing I was supposed to be watching for I didn't so I will have to run through that again.  So, when I perform my duties as my own beta reader, I will have to watch for that and make the necessary changes.

Oh, and then I need to finish the cover too which means trying to master UV unwrapping for the 3D model.

Lynn

« Reply #1849 on: December 04, 2020, 03:06:12 AM »
2050 yesterday. First 2k day since January.

Holy crap. Is it any wonder my sales are dead? I'm about to start pushing myself to write and release a full novel at least every 3 months. If I don't, I might as well kiss this career goodbye. I have bills to pay.

I really need a few more writing buddies though. Nano helped me get back on track specifically because I ran sprints with other people on Discord. It really helps my motivation issues to write alongside other people.
Don't rush me.