Author Topic: VAT on UK ebooks has now been taken off  (Read 1614 times)

Atlantisatheart

VAT on UK ebooks has now been taken off
« on: May 01, 2020, 10:50:57 AM »
VAT (20%) in the UK had gone from ebooks.
The UK site looks terrible with prices all over the place. If you didn't use the pricing box for the UK for your books you need to do it now as you are leaving money on the table.

There are series with each book at a different price.

This really is going to confuse readers.

But the good news is, if you did use the box and priced correctly, you are now getting 20% more on all sales.

The following users thanked this post: Gerri Attrick, JackT

Gerri Attrick

Re: VAT on UK ebooks has now been taken off
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:20:11 PM »
Excellent news - thank you for this. :cheers

As I'm in the UK, I always have priced separately for that market, so I don't need to go in and change everything.

I wonder, though, why the government have removed VAT now - in the Chancellor's budget it was announced they were going to remove it this coming December. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.)

JackT

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:28:39 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Gerri Attrick

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
And so Amazon has now f*cked up changing the prices.

I submitted my book 3 yesterday with 4 issues fixed, and suddenly its free in the UK store.

I assume it got hit by some bug in the pricing change program, and the price got zeroed out.

I've resubmitted the book, and complained to Amazon and told them to fix it.

But everyone should be checking their reports for suddenly having giveaways on them you didn't agree to, especially if the book was resubmitted yesterday.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Leegreg

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 11:02:57 PM »
But everyone should be checking their reports for suddenly having giveaways on them you didn't agree to, especially if the book was resubmitted yesterday.

Do you know if Amazon is paying for the books they gave away free or are we screwed?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 11:07:05 PM »

Do you know if Amazon is paying for the books they gave away free or are we screwed?

I've not heard back yet, but I'm assuming not.

I get the impression it was a screw up on their end they will probably deny happened.

My exposure was limited to 6, so either me resubmitting the book stopped it, or my complaint was acted on very quickly.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Leegreg

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 11:12:51 PM »
And so Amazon has now f*cked up changing the prices.

I submitted my book 3 yesterday with 4 issues fixed, and suddenly its free in the UK store.

I assume it got hit by some bug in the pricing change program, and the price got zeroed out.

I've resubmitted the book, and complained to Amazon and told them to fix it.

How do we check that? Just on the month to date tab and they show up in the free column? Thanks in advance for clarifying.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 11:22:25 PM »
How do we check that? Just on the month to date tab and they show up in the free column? Thanks in advance for clarifying.

I noticed it on BookReport.

But if you look at the Amazon sales bars, a blue bar indicates freebies. To find the store, you have to select individual store data.

notthatamanda

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 11:46:08 PM »

I noticed it on BookReport.

But if you look at the Amazon sales bars, a blue bar indicates freebies. To find the store, you have to select individual store data.
Got it, Thank. The KDP beta dashboard lets you click off free only and you can quickly check the titles that were free like that as well.

Leegreg

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »
Amazon replied, admitted fault, and said they will compensate for the freebies. That’s not at all what I expected from them. But it’s nice.  :tup3b