Author Topic: Different ebook and print versions question  (Read 1188 times)

cecilia_writer

Different ebook and print versions question
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:50:55 AM »
I wasn't sure which part of the forum to put this question in but it seems to be more of a publication question than anything else. I've also looked for an answer in kdp help but it seems such an odd question that I can't even navigate to the right part of that either.
Anyway - is it possible/permitted to link an ebook and a print book in kdp with different content?

I've been writing up my family history as a narrative, and I'd like to publish it both as an ebook without illustrations and as a printed book with photographs and charts. In my mind it makes sense to use the same title for both and to link them in kdp, as the text part of the content will be identical, but maybe this is completely against the rules or otherwise inadvisable.

Or maybe the ebook should just include the illustrations too? I am hesitant about this as I don't know how well the ebook format copes with this kind of thing, but maybe someone can advise on this.

Any suggestions welcome. Obviously this isn't exactly a business venture but more a way of distributing information to my extended family and recording what I know for any descendants.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

notthatamanda

Re: Different ebook and print versions question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:46:05 AM »
I don't know the exact answer but you said any suggestions, so how about making the print a 2nd edition with additional content?

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 02:57:03 AM »
The print and ebook versions of my novels differ. All my print books have nice graphics as chapter headers, but because the Zon dings you for file size, the ebook versions don't have those graphics. Text is the same for both. Never an issue linking them - same title, author, cover image, metadata... Make of that what you will.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 03:04:09 AM »
Thanks for both these suggestions. They both give me some hope that this can be done!  so at least I can progress with my plan. I'm not quite ready to publish yet.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Hopscotch

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 04:10:18 AM »
While the core content of my print and ebooks remains the same, the front and back matter are different - because they target different audiences.  You should have no problem with your plan.
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

RPatton

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 12:41:28 PM »
I linked my ebook and print books for my POD printing, but didn't include any illustrations in the ebook and explain in the beginning that I didn't include the images. My ebook also has lots of links the print version doesn't have. And the audiobook version is (will be) slightly different as well. Think of ebook, print, and audio as an edition. Each edition can have slight variations because the medium allows for them.