Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 109458 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »
Just got back from Fantastic Beasts 2. Much better than the first movie. GD and I both liked it, but now I have questions. Off to youtube to see what's being said over there.

Anarchist

« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »
Just watched this one...

Rating: 8/10

Disclaimer: I love Tony Scott films, even the unintelligible stuff like Domino. So discount my rating accordingly.

Currently streaming on HBO.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

PJ Post

« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
Just watched this one...

Stylish, dark and moody. Part of the filmography that made Denzel Denzel.

:tup3b

___

And at the risk of being repetitive...I watched both of these for the umpteenth time this weekend...

:tup3b  :tup3b  :tup3b

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »

And at the risk of being repetitive...I watched both of these for the umpteenth time this weekend...

:tup3b  :tup3b  :tup3b

Nothing wrong with either one of those. Always worth a repeat viewing.

Honey Bunny and I just finished this one.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2018, 03:10:33 AM »
I was so reluctant to watch Jumanji. After all, what or who could beat the original. GD talked me into it and I was so glad she did. They didn't try to duplicate the original at all and I could enjoy the movie on it's own merits.

Still watching Christmas movies. Home for the Holidays last night. It was different and I really enjoyed it.

There were a couple I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes. They were worse than the ugliest Christmas sweaters.

I tried watching a second movie last night but I fell asleep so I'll rewatch it tonight.

Anarchist

« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2018, 04:04:57 AM »

Not much happens, but it's a mesmerizing film nonetheless. That's probably due largely to Michelle Williams. She's terrific (as usual).

Currently streaming on Hulu.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Maggie Ann

« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2018, 12:20:30 AM »
Just watched The Man Who Invented Christmas. It's the story of how Charles Dickens came to write A Christmas Carol.

Definitely a fun movie, but more so from the writer's perspective. I had to laugh at his struggles to overcome blockage and I certainly understood when he said he couldn't get his characters to do what he wanted.

A lot of it was true to his life but it was the writing parts that I had to identify with. We all go through the same struggles but only a blessed few go on to be a Charles Dickens.

Christopher Plummer as Scrooge, Ian McNeice (Bert Large on Doc Martin) as one of his publishers, and Professor Sprout as Mrs. Fisk, the housekeeper.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2018, 12:52:36 AM »
Next up...

I laughed all the way through.

Rating: 9/10

I feel odd recommending comedy because tastes vary. But if you enjoy vampires and your comedic preferences are slightly off-center, check this one out.

What We Do In The Shadows is currently on Amazon Prime.

I agree! This is a very funny movie. I particularly loved Peter in the basement!

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Becca Mills

« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2018, 04:21:49 AM »
Saw a Jim Jarmusch movie called Paterson last night, based on or in dialogue with William Carlos Williams's epic poem of the same title. Really good, though off-beat, as Jarmusch's films tend to be. Very little plot arc, light magic-realist touches. Came out in 2016. My fave of his films so far. Recommend! 9/10

Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:30 AM »
Saw a Jim Jarmusch movie called Paterson last night, based on or in dialogue with William Carlos Williams's epic poem of the same title. Really good, though off-beat, as Jarmusch's films tend to be. Very little plot arc, light magic-realist touches. Came out in 2016. My fave of his films so far. Recommend! 9/10

I was going to watch Paterson a few months ago, but my wife said she didn't like. So I passed on it.

But now that I'm thinking about it, she fell asleep while watching Aliens.

Paterson is back on the list! :)

Becca Mills

« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2018, 06:48:53 AM »

I was going to watch Paterson a few months ago, but my wife said she didn't like. So I passed on it.

But now that I'm thinking about it, she fell asleep while watching Aliens.

Paterson is back on the list! :)

Let us know what you think! It's definitely a "quiet" film. A meditation on creativity, place, relationships. I have a feeling there's a lot of intertextuality with the Williams poem, which I've never read. That might account for many of the symbolic elements.
Recently Read ...

guest957

« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2018, 07:21:42 AM »
she fell asleep while watching Aliens.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
she fell asleep while watching Aliens.

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
My Christmas movie for tonight was The Christmas Eve Miracle.

JRTomlin

« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
I watched Outlaw King (starring Chris Pine). I am incredibly picky about historical movies, but I gave this one a big:  :tup3b
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:50:39 AM by JRTomlin »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »
I watched Outlaw King (starring Chris Pine). I am incredibly picky about historical movies, but I have this one a big:  :tup3b

I'll have to squeeze this one into my busy smarmy Christmas movie schedule.  :tup3b

Anarchist

« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
I watched Outlaw King (starring Chris Pine). I am incredibly picky about historical movies, but I have this one a big:  :tup3b

I was wondering about that one. It's now on my list!

JRTomlin

« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
It has a few 'Hollywood moments' that got a few complaints, but relatively few of them. It stuck pretty close to at least the gist of what happened. The scenery is breathtaking and I thought Chris Pine did a fine job, even managing a respectable Scottish accent. The battle tactics, armor, and weapons were amazingly accurate which is just about a first that I have seen in a medieval movie.

It was particularly impressive to see them showing battle tactics that really were used.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:59:44 AM by JRTomlin »

guest957

« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »

Watched this last night based on your positive review/description, and I loved it. Thanks!  :icon_cool:

The following users thanked this post: Becca Mills

Maggie Ann

« Reply #219 on: December 01, 2018, 11:47:39 PM »
Last night's Christmas movie was A Christmas Calendar. It was a bit different from the usual fare. No one had to save Christmas or Santa Clause and no one had to wake up to an alternative life.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
I haven't seen any new movies in a while.  But in recent weeks, I've re-watched The Martian, The Matrix, and Ben-Hur.

That last one was my nephew's idea.  I had previously shown him a couple of scenes on YouTube because he's a twelve-year-old boy and I thought he'd get a kick out of the chariot race and the "ramming speed" of the galley slaves.  I didn't think he'd like the whole movie simply because it's so long and modern attention spans are what they are.  I put it on for him since he asked, but I expected him to get bored.  To my surprise, he enjoyed it.

There's a moral there, I guess.  Don't underestimate the kids.  Don't assume they can't sit still for a 3.5-hour epic.  They might surprise you.  ;)

(You might have to explain some things, though.  My nephew didn't know the first thing about leprosy.)

I still need to make time for Die Hard.  It's not Christmas until Hans fall off Nakatomi Plaza.  I need to watch Trading Places, too, another great Christmas tradition.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #221 on: December 22, 2018, 06:03:31 AM »
Last night watched The Santa Clause and the night before rewatched last year's Dr. Who Christmas special. Tonight I think I'll watch The Ghost of Christmas Eve with the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2018, 07:00:41 AM »
Last night watched The Santa Clause and the night before rewatched last year's Dr. Who Christmas special. Tonight I think I'll watch The Ghost of Christmas Eve with the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Thank you. It wouldn't be Christmas without TSO!

:dog1:

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
Watched Into the Spiderverse and it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND AWESOME.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

PJ Post

« Reply #224 on: December 23, 2018, 06:42:28 AM »
Watched Into the Spiderverse and it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND AWESOME.

Good to hear. I'm super psyched.   :dance:

I had high hopes, but it spent too much time trying to be clever rather than telling a story.

Umm.....the idea is beyond Terry Gilliam stupid, in fact, it's very nearly insulting. Pile a sh*t-ton of cliches and tired tropes on top of it and you end up with a...pretty nifty movie.
 :tup3brent it

Not nearly as good as the first one. It's got lots of boom boom and pew pew, but not much heart to go with it. If you like Denzel kicking ass, you'll probably like this one too.

More of the same, Tom Cruise running all over the planet, combined with harrowing jumps, chases and scooby-doo de-maskings. About what you'd expect, including the impossible leaps of logic. The franchise is running out of steam. It has the same problem as Eq2, there's no depth or emotion, which means (writing advice warning) - there's no stakes.

It had everything but a story. Hardy's character spends a lot of time hanging out on the edge of being unlikable, and I can't see a reason for it. But he has just enough charm to make it work. Venom's pretty fun though. It's almost good...sort of...maybe...???
 :tup3b very rentable

___

All of these movies require turning your brain off, which kind of sucks. On the flip side - they all look amazing. I'm sensing a pattern...

___

Throw-back recommendation:

If you like horror, this one is just a lot of fun.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #225 on: December 23, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »

It had everything but a story. Hardy's character spends a lot of time hanging out on the edge of being unlikable, and I can't see a reason for it. But he has just enough charm to make it work. Venom's pretty fun though. It's almost good...sort of...maybe...???
 :tup3b very rentable

How dare you say that about Tom! Apologize!

grint

Becca Mills

« Reply #226 on: December 23, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ... fantastic! The whole family loved it. 10/10
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2018, 12:41:21 AM »

I couldn't get into it. The jokes landed flat. The acting seemed desperate. The script was dull.

Rating: 6/10

prolificwriter

« Reply #228 on: December 24, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised by Crazy Rich Asians. Wasn’t really looking forward to seeing it, but family chose it and I liked it a lot. It uses a pretty standard romantic comedy formula, but it does it very well. Plus, Gemma Chan!

I watched Mandy recently and I gotta say, that was a major disappointment. I like Nicolas Cage and I like weird movies, but this one just wasn’t that good on any level. It figures that the critics loved it!

The Doctor

« Reply #229 on: December 25, 2018, 04:59:41 AM »
Watched Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa last night.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

LilyBLily

« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2018, 05:30:45 AM »
Mary Poppins Returns. Me and dozens of well-behaved young children.

Tom Wood

« Reply #231 on: December 25, 2018, 05:41:29 AM »
Mary Poppins Returns. Me and dozens of well-behaved young children.

It doesn't count when you've tasered them all!  :hehe

LilyBLily

« Reply #232 on: December 25, 2018, 07:03:06 AM »
Not an action movie. I brought no weapons.

Didn’t need them. The Alamo is very strict and will toss anyone out for rude behavior.

guest1038

« Reply #233 on: December 25, 2018, 08:31:31 AM »
Just caught Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse and Bumblebee this past weekend and both movies were really good. Definitely recommended.

Noticed during the end credits for Spider-verse the Story by credit goes to Phil Lord (who also co-wrote the screenplay). Significant because a Story by credit means you're the person who came up with the idea for the story (not meaning to state the obvious, btw, just in case folks weren't aware how it worked with the "Story" credit), how the plot should play out and all of that. He also co-produced the film with his usual directing partner Chris Miller. I thought the idea for the story in this movie was fantastic. Really creative and clever.

I point this out - as a Star Wars fan - because in my opinion the pair, Lord and Miller, have yet to attach their names to a bad movie (the Jump Street movies, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Lego Movie) and they were the direction duo that Disney fired when they'd completed filming roughly 80% of the standalone Han Solo movie.

Apparently, one of the writers on the film, Lawrence Kasdan (no spring chicken, by the way) didn't understand their 'process' and what they were intending for the film and the head of Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy agreed.

Reading about Lord and Miller's creative process, I think they have a different method than a lot of filmmakers and people who've been in that business a long time don't understand it and Disney's conservative nature and wanting to play it safe was their un-doing. It's too bad, because I'm pretty convinced after seeing Spider-verse and knowing Lord and Miller's previous works that their version of Solo would have been a true saving grace for the Star Wars franchise that currently has the fandom divided. Kathleen Kennedy and the rest should've been welcoming that kind of innovation with open arms, instead, they retreated for the perception of safety and continue to have a divided fanbase as a result.

All of that to say, I think Disney made a big mistake letting those two go, and - I think - this latest Spider-man movie drives that point home. Marvel does have some attachment to Sony's Spider-verse so hopefully Disney can reconnect with the duo that way. Good luck though convincing them to come back to work on a Star Wars film, though I guess, money talks. It's a shame because Lord and Miller seem to be among the very few people in Hollywood these days who are actually creative and know how to tell a great story. Can't wait to see what they work on next.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2018, 12:59:15 PM »
GS saw Spiderverse yesterday and he and his friends also loved it.

I just watched Quartet on Netflix. Always a pleasure to see Maggie Smith. The Beecham House is a home for retired musicians and they must put on their annual gala to raise funds to keep the home going for another year. Except for the quartet themselves, the players are really retired musicians and singers and the music they put out is wonderful. At the end, they show a current photo of each of them beside a photo of them at a young age either singing or playing.

guest1038

« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2018, 02:18:42 PM »
Watched Black Mirror: Bandersnatch yesterday, Netflix's new interactive movie.

I thought it was a lot of fun. Made me wonder why we don't see more 'choose your own adventure' type novels for adults. I mean, I know they exist, but watching the film - which is based around a fake fantasy novel that mimics the CYOA style - it made me wonder why this isn't more of a thing.

Perhaps the interactive fiction format is just not that popular for adults? I get that LitRPG is popular, but I've never considered that to be the same as 'choose your own adventure'. Maybe it is? Maybe it's filling that void - if there's a void at all.

PJ Post

« Reply #236 on: December 31, 2018, 04:12:01 AM »
I'm posting this more as a warning...

This movie was similar to The Last Jedi, it looked good, good cast, even a nifty bit here and there - but made no sense whatsoever. Terrible characterization, no consistency and the tone was all over the place.

This was a big-budget movie; I'm increasingly of the opinion that Hollywood writers have been replaced by accountants.

And from the Indie scene...

___

Throw-back movie of the week...

This is still a good classic movie, but kind of a logical mess too. Considering this came out the year before Star Wars, the special effects are severely lacking, and just plain old bad in places. Rumor has it they ran out of money.

guest1038

« Reply #237 on: December 31, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »
I'm increasingly of the opinion that Hollywood writers have been replaced by accountants.

Ain't that the truth.

Anarchist

« Reply #238 on: December 31, 2018, 12:02:54 PM »
Finished this one five minutes ago...

I'm not a Woody Allen fan. But I really liked Crimes and Misdemeanors. It's darker than Allen's normal fare. Landau is terrific.

It's on HBO through Dec. 31.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #239 on: January 01, 2019, 01:51:13 AM »
Finished this one five minutes ago...

I'm not a Woody Allen fan. But I really liked Crimes and Misdemeanors. It's darker than Allen's normal fare. Landau is terrific.

It's on HBO through Dec. 31.

If you like Martin Landau, the original Mission Impossible series is free with Prime. I think I'll start watching that tomorrow.

oganalp

« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2019, 04:01:57 AM »

I watched it the other day. It was a good movie with some gorgeous visuals. Thought-provoking as well. May not be the best movie (I haven't read the books), but it was still solid.

Spoiler: ShowHide
That bear scene...

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

PJ Post

« Reply #241 on: January 01, 2019, 06:46:56 AM »
+1 on Annihilation

Arrival was another smart SF movie.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2019, 03:10:09 AM »
Just back from seeing 'The Favourite'. It was extremely well acted but definitely NOT a comedy as I have heard from some sources. The idea was interesting because of the strong focus on three real women, with the men relegated to the background. My son said to me on the way out 'I don't know how much of it was real history' and I replied 'I think we can deduce the answer from the use of "OK"by one of the characters'. (There were other examples)
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2019, 03:19:03 AM »

Tom Wood

« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2019, 04:02:23 AM »
Re-watched this and it held up well:

Anarchist

« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2019, 04:47:13 AM »
Re-watched this and it held up well:

Good to know. And great timing as I was planning to watch it tonight on HBO.

I watched this one last night...

Terrific cast, and it's written and directed by Christopher Nolan (I love everything he's done).

Rating: 9/10.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2019, 05:26:33 AM »
Just back from seeing 'The Favourite'. It was extremely well acted but definitely NOT a comedy as I have heard from some sources. The idea was interesting because of the strong focus on three real women, with the men relegated to the background. My son said to me on the way out 'I don't know how much of it was real history' and I replied 'I think we can deduce the answer from the use of "OK"by one of the characters'. (There were other examples)

I had researched the origin of OK for one of my books and was surprised to find how long it had been in use. I don't know when The Favourite was set, but OK has been around since 1839. I never would have guessed it.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2019, 06:18:14 AM »
I am often surprised too by how long some phrases have been around - however The Favourite is based on events (a lot of them completely fictitious) in Queen Anne's court (early 18th century). There were quite a few 21st century usages too. I think they were meant to add to the general edgy, modern feel of the film but they didn't help!
It was strange because just before we set out for the cinema I thought, I hope this isn't going to be like Burn After Reading, which was supposed to be hilarious but I didn't find even mildly amusing. This film wasn't as pointless as that one but it was quite annoying. The background music had a way of intruding into the foreground with a repetitive cello note, and my son, who makes films himself, didn't like the cinematography. It will be interesting to see if it wins any Oscars.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Maggie Ann

« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
I am often surprised too by how long some phrases have been around - however The Favourite is based on events (a lot of them completely fictitious) in Queen Anne's court (early 18th century). There were quite a few 21st century usages too. I think they were meant to add to the general edgy, modern feel of the film but they didn't help!
It was strange because just before we set out for the cinema I thought, I hope this isn't going to be like Burn After Reading, which was supposed to be hilarious but I didn't find even mildly amusing. This film wasn't as pointless as that one but it was quite annoying. The background music had a way of intruding into the foreground with a repetitive cello note, and my son, who makes films himself, didn't like the cinematography. It will be interesting to see if it wins any Oscars.

About a hundred years too soon to be OK!  :angel:

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2019, 03:06:20 PM »
...Burn After Reading, which was supposed to be hilarious but I didn't find even mildly amusing...

Same here.  For a long time, I thought I was the only one who didn't "get it."  Nice to see someone else with the same opinion.   :cheers