Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 86907 times)

PJ Post

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #550 on: December 18, 2023, 08:50:41 AM »
I got through a couple of seasons of See, and yeah, the premise is a bit...whatever. I try to just accept stuff like that and get on with the story. I love SFF and always give it the benefit of the doubt. It was pretty good as I recall.

I started season 2 of Reacher...

Sometimes it's nice to have the bad guys be bad.
The good guys be good.
A plot that's all about evil's comeuppance.
And an entertaining cast of wholesome ass-kicking heroes.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Hopscotch

« Reply #551 on: December 19, 2023, 12:47:30 AM »
Sometimes it's nice to have the bad guys be bad. The good guys be good. A plot that's all about evil's comeuppance. And an entertaining cast of wholesome ass-kicking heroes.

That amply describes the last season "Entrapped" of Netflix's Scandi-noir series Trapped in which the fat slob Viking hero cop metes out lots of jolly comeuppance to vast evils but loses the girl and ends in prison for doing right.
. .

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2023, 01:18:59 AM »
Not long ago, I finished School Spirits (on Netflix, though it was produced by Paramount and aired on Paramount+)

As a former high school teacher, I do find school-centered stories hard to resist. In this series, a high school girl dies and finds herself trapped in the high school, together with other students and one teacher who have died there over the years. She tries to figure out who killed her. But meanwhile, her fellow spirits may have secrets, and the key to moving on to the afterlife may be different from what they believe it is.

I'm currently working on Wynona Earp, the fantasy series based on Wyatt Earp's great granddaughter, Wynona and Waverly. Wynona in particular has a mission to send the revenants (bad guys Wyatt killed) back to Hell by shooting them with his old gun. She is sometimes assisted by Doc Halliday, who has apparently sold his soul to the devil for eternal life (though perhaps there is more to that than meets the eye).

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Hopscotch

« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2023, 03:10:39 AM »
...sold his soul to the devil for eternal life (though perhaps there is more to that than meets the eye).

More to eternal life than meets the eye, dear English teacher? (pardon, couldn't resist)
. .

She-la-te-da

« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2024, 12:47:49 AM »
I find I'm missing watching See, even if it was a bit of a "suspension of belief" thing. I read where the show runners had actual vision experts on set/advising, and some of the actors were visually impaired to some extent or other. Made it more interesting in hindsight, actually.

I'm wrapping up another Canadian show, Blood Ties. It's certainly no Angel, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it's had some nice moments. I totally don't buy the actor playing the vampire, though, as he doesn't hit the typical stereotype in the right ways.

Still watching For All Mankind, though I'm now seeing it as weekly episodes. I'm being hit and miss on some other shows, like Foundation. I'm not sure I'm going to like it. None of the characters have done it for me yet.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

EB

« Reply #555 on: January 07, 2024, 03:18:58 AM »
Just finished up Bodies on Netflix, a crime/mystery/time travel mind bender. It kept my interest, was worth the watch. Not sure how closely it mirrors the graphic novel, so putting that on my read list for comparison.

LBL

« Reply #556 on: January 07, 2024, 04:00:00 AM »
It's probably already been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but I highly recommend the Appletv+ series, 'Severance'.

I'm hooked, and quite excited for S2, which is apparently coming out this year. Once you see the entire first season, what it pulls off storytelling-wise is pretty fantastic.

I don't think I'd rate it as highly as what is - to me - the greatest opening season to a television show ever in HBO's 'True Detective', but I'll tell you what - it's up there. Highly recommended.

The following users thanked this post: EB

PJ Post

« Reply #557 on: March 23, 2024, 05:56:11 AM »

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #558 on: March 23, 2024, 07:06:29 AM »
Just finished binging all five seaons of Fargo.  I refused to watch it when it came out because I felt it would be a rip-off of the movie. I was wrong.

Seasons 2 and 5 are the best, followed by 1, 3 and 4 in order of preference.

R.C.

Anarchist

« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2024, 09:47:27 AM »

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #560 on: March 24, 2024, 07:25:26 AM »
Babylon 5...loved the first three and a half seasons.  After that, some episodes were better than others.  Garibaldi as a bad guy was so difficult to watch.  Can no one figure out what's going on???

Also love the first season of Continuum (the one with Kiera Cameron) and any Stargate SG-1 episode.  Especially with Jack.  And Firefly (of course!)

I've been watching some Acorn TV and lots of Roku reruns.  Can't go wrong with The Rockford Files, which my cats also LOVE.  They watch it when I'm not home.

Considering AMC+ again to watch A Discovery of Witches (love the first season especially) and Dark Winds...which is an amazing show, IMHO. Believe they're getting a 3rd season!

And I'm re-watching all of Signed, Sealed, Delivered on Hallmark because they're finally going to make 2 more movies.  My TV shows are much like my books.  I like a variety of genres.  :angel:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 07:29:06 AM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #561 on: March 24, 2024, 08:01:35 AM »
... and Dark Winds...which is an amazing show, IMHO. Believe they're getting a 3rd season!...

I'll co-sign Dark Winds. Well worth the viewing.

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Anarchist

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #562 on: March 24, 2024, 12:23:17 PM »
Babylon 5...loved the first three and a half seasons.  After that, some episodes were better than others. 

I completely agree.  From best to worst, I rank the seasons 3, 2, 1/4, 4/1, 5.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #563 on: March 25, 2024, 09:47:05 AM »
Babylon 5...loved the first three and a half seasons.  After that, some episodes were better than others. 

I wonder how much better the 5th season could have been if (a) they knew earlier that there would be a fifth season and (b) they would have been able to keep Claudia Christian.

Tracy Scoggins did a good job as Captain Lochley, but it would have been better to see Ivanova in that position.

One of the things I liked about the final season of Stargate: Atlantis was having Robert Picardo's Woosley in charge.  That just made for an interesting character dynamic because he goes from a position of second guessing everyone's command decisions after the fact and informing them what they should have done and into the position of actual command and learning that you can't always go by the book.

Kind of like what I saw a writer say about Captain Kirk the other day.  Basically, Kirk saw rules and laws as guidelines and did whatever he wanted anyway.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Matthew

« Reply #564 on: March 25, 2024, 10:47:42 AM »
I've been watching The 100, mostly in the background when I'm doing other things. But man, is that a show that has no idea what it wants to be. Seems to rehash the same plot lines and character struggles. It has a few cool moments in the drudgery, but overall won't recommend this one.

There's a few recommendations I've seen pop up in this thread I've meant to get to, but only so many hours in a day.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2024, 11:49:18 AM »

I wonder how much better the 5th season could have been if (a) they knew earlier that there would be a fifth season and (b) they would have been able to keep Claudia Christian.

It would have been significantly better.  Season 5 was so bad that almost any structural change would have been an improvement.

Tracy Scoggins did a good job as Captain Lochley, but it would have been better to see Ivanova in that position.

I agree.  I never cared for the Lochley character, nor did most other fans.  I feel bad for Tracy Scoggins, though, because she got a lot of crap from the fans that she didn't deserve.  It was just a sh*tty situation all around.

One of the things I liked about the final season of Stargate: Atlantis was having Robert Picardo's Woosley in charge.  That just made for an interesting character dynamic because he goes from a position of second guessing everyone's command decisions after the fact and informing them what they should have done and into the position of actual command and learning that you can't always go by the book.

I must have bailed out of that show before it got to that point, because I don't remember Picardo appearing on the show.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lynn

« Reply #566 on: March 25, 2024, 03:22:48 PM »
Ah, Woolsey. I honestly thought Stargate Atlantis really picked up an excellent addition to the cast with him and would have loved to have it keep going. He added a fresh perspective, was fun, and had heart, and also, Picardo is a good actor and he was good in the role. He had good comic timing also. :D

I wish they'd added him earlier (love Carter, but she just didn't work right on Atlantis) and I wish we'd had another season or two of him in that role. Although it's to be expected that continuity on a series of shows that long running (10 seasons for SG-1, 5 for SGA) might have problems, I thought they did well with the shows. It was nice to see him come in as someone from SG-1. Also, I liked how they took Rodney from asshole-jerk to lovable-jerk over the seasons of SGA.

If you can't tell, I'm still a huge fan. :D
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #567 on: March 26, 2024, 01:00:30 AM »
I wish they'd added him earlier (love Carter, but she just didn't work right on Atlantis) and I wish we'd had another season or two of him in that role.

:tup3b

Carter never seemed right for that role.  Daniel Jackson would have been a better fit.  It just felt like they threw Carter in there to appease SG-1 fans upset that they cancelled SG-1.  (And, really, that whole thing was a mess caused mostly by Syfy.)

Yes, it would have been nice to see Picardo as Woosley in that role for more than just the one season.

SG-1 and SG:Atlantis were really good shows that could have kept on going indefinitely if not for the machinations of Syfy.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lynn, Anarchist

She-la-te-da

« Reply #568 on: March 29, 2024, 10:07:05 AM »
Yes, "Siffie" really knew how to screw up a show. I actually can't remember the last time I watched anything on SyFy. I have it recording Resident Alien, but truth be told, I kind of disliked the show.

Currently I'm watching Game of Thrones and rewatching Bitten, about the werewolves. I'm kind of dreading the whole Red Wedding thing on GoT, and may stop after that. Or before. :D

I have trouble focusing on TV these days. Aftereffects of the Covid mess. I can't really read anymore, I get distracted and frustrated. I'm beginning to wonder if any of my brain is coming back, and the awful typing I manage is driving me crazy. I have to retype almost every word.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #569 on: April 13, 2024, 11:46:47 AM »
So, done with Bitten, dropped GoT for a bit. Now I'm watching The Expanse, on season two.

Things would be better if watching streaming or recorded stuff didn't put me to sleep. :D

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
  • I’m a writer, who writes about what interests me.
    • A.G. Kimbrough Books and Blog
« Reply #570 on: April 15, 2024, 05:27:24 AM »
We watch an episode of Northern Exposure on Amazon Prime every night (unless the Dodger game runs late). When it first ran, the show was groundbreaking by touching subjects that usually weren't on network TV, and it always ended with a good feeling.
These days, it is a refreshing change from the current programming, and it provides these 79- and 78-year-olds with a look back to an earlier, simpler time.
When I read Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land, I Grokked, and the die was cast.
       Many of my books are science fiction and don’t include steam punk, fantasy, time travel, magic, elves or faeries.
       As a naval and military history buff, I also have written several books that feature warships, aircraft, airships, spacecraft, and military action.
       If Things Get Better With Age Then this 1944 model is Approaching Excellent.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #571 on: April 15, 2024, 07:18:54 AM »
Reservation Dogs - Surprisingly good. 99% Tomatometer - 91% Avg. Audience Score

Following the exploits of four Indigenous teenagers in rural Oklahoma who steal, rob and save in order to get to the exotic, mysterious and faraway land of California. To succeed, they will have to save enough money, outmaneuver the methheads at the junkyard on the edge of town and survive a turf war against a much tougher rival gang. This first-of-its-kind creative team tells a story that resonates with them and their lived experiences -- and invites audiences into a surprisingly familiar and funny world.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post