Author Topic: Bogus pirate sites - gotta laugh  (Read 1414 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Bogus pirate sites - gotta laugh
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:12:27 PM »
So my Google alert just came in, and it had a site on it where people can get my latest book.

It shows the cover, and the first pages in it down the left side.

There's only one small problem.

The book is still on pre-order, and Amazon doesn't even have a copy of it yet. The cover is all there is at the moment.

So the whole page is just a mocked up bogus attempt to get people to sign up to the site, and most likely is a phish scam.

Just goes to show, so many of the pirate sites people get upset about are just fake, and they don't really have your book at all.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

Re: Bogus pirate sites - gotta laugh
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »
I know one trad-pubbed author who complains on twitter fairly often that pirates destroyed their career. I can understand how they might feel that way, seeing their works listed on these sorts of websites, but honestly, anyone trying to download stuff from these places is asking for trouble.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 10:28:28 PM »
One such site had one of my books listed with 800 reviews and a 4.99999999 star rating.

Wonder

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 06:06:13 AM »
One such site had one of my books listed with 800 reviews and a 4.99999999 star rating.

What courteous scammers!  :cool:

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 06:56:15 AM »
Yeah I didn't go running to complain about that one.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 07:14:11 AM »

You usually have to pay (and break Amazon's rules) to get that kind of social proof.  ;)
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Anarchist

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 01:44:17 AM »

You usually have to pay (and break Amazon's rules) to get that kind of social proof.  ;)

Or maintain a large, engaged ARC list. ;)
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC