Author Topic: Change to KDP (Select) Pre-order?  (Read 3065 times)

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Change to KDP (Select) Pre-order?
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:53:25 AM »
So I'm setting up my next KDP Select pre-order for my latest German translation.

It's accessed through the exact same Bookshelf function as any other KDP publish function.

I noticed it seems to be letting me set an unlimited pre-order date. Usually it grays out after 90 days, but at this moment, I can pick any date well beyond 90 days. It then says on the page to makes sure to upload my manuscript before the release date.

I haven't gone to the end of the process and tried to publish this pre-oder for fear of screwing everything up, but has anyone else seen this? Or heard about some policy change? Or is it merely a software glitch?

The TOS page still says 90 days.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Kristen.s.walker

idontknowyet

Re: Change to KDP (Select) Pre-order?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
They are talking about it on other groups. It seems to be a trial. Some people are getting it and others aren't.

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 08:04:06 AM »
I just noticed the discussion in TOP.

I'm going to try setting up beyond 90 days.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 08:29:46 AM »
I wonder if they would let us move the date in if we had it ready to go sooner than we thought.

ETA - I wonder if people asked for that in the survey this summer.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:30:37 AM by notthatamanda »

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
I wonder if they would let us move the date in if we had it ready to go sooner than we thought.

They've always allowed you to move it forward (earlier). Hopefully that won't change.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:23:33 PM »
Ah thanks, I did not know that.  Doing my first preorder right now, no plans to move it up so I didn't investigate it.

ingobernable

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 01:28:51 AM »
This part makes me happy: "If you need more time to finalize your file, you can delay your release date up to 30 days per title once without penalty. If you delay the release a second time on a given title, though, you won't be able to set up a new pre-order for one year or extend release dates for other existing pre-orders."

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

RPatton

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 02:24:26 AM »
This part makes me happy: "If you need more time to finalize your file, you can delay your release date up to 30 days per title once without penalty. If you delay the release a second time on a given title, though, you won't be able to set up a new pre-order for one year or extend release dates for other existing pre-orders."

That is totally going to be taken advantage of.

I wonder how long until that gets changed to one time per calendar year per account?

She-la-te-da

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 06:48:15 PM »

That is totally going to be taken advantage of.

I wonder how long until that gets changed to one time per calendar year per account?

I give it six weeks. And I suspect it will totally vanish. Of course, it took longer to lose a lot of things, like tags, so maybe Amazon still has some patience left.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »

They've always allowed you to move it forward (earlier). Hopefully that won't change.
How does it work from the customer's viewpoint when a preorder gets moved up?
Do they get an email notification about it, or does it just show up on their device?
Thanks, Amanda

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 03:38:44 AM »
I'm not entirely sure. I just know it works. I have never pre-ordered one of my own books to check...

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

Rosie Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 08:45:46 AM »
How does it work from the customer's viewpoint when a preorder gets moved up?
Do they get an email notification about it, or does it just show up on their device?

At the time of the date change, they get an email saying something along the lines of: "Good news! A product you ordered is releasing earlier than we anticipated. Book will release on 00/00/00. It will be delivered to your device on this date." It also has a button to view/manage order.

Apologies I don't have the exact email, but it's been a while since I've gotten one so this is based off of memory. The customer is notified. Other than that, the sale goes through as normal unless they cancel it.

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, notthatamanda

notthatamanda

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 09:12:23 AM »
Okay, thank you.

The Doctor

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »
Yes, I have the unlimited pre-order date option (well, I think it's limited to a year). I gave my next Izzy Hunter title up a 1st August 2020 release date.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website