Author Topic: Split from: Come on folks, let's hit 1,000  (Read 1930 times)

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

Split from: Come on folks, let's hit 1,000
« on: January 12, 2019, 06:54:56 AM »
I've hesitated to make this post. Please don't flame me—I'm just describing how this new forum has impacted me.

I understand and appreciate the noble motives for splitting from KBoards, but for me, this new forum has been a bad thing.

Some of the most helpful, active, and interesting posters have been siphoned off from KBoards. If I need help with something I must either (1) post in KBoards and get fewer responses, or I must (2) post in both places. I have enough trouble remembering what posts I make and having two discrete locations just makes it worse. I have chosen option 1.

Wholesale ship abandonment of KBoards seems unlikely, and the KBoards site owners don't seem to have changed their TOS.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Lu Kudzoza

Post-Crisis D

Re: Split from: Come on folks, let's hit 1,000
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:18:17 AM »
. . . and the KBoards site owners don't seem to have changed their TOS.

And there's the problem.  Many of the authors who left the other place are never going to go back there under the current TOS.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 01:40:59 PM »
No flaming from me. I have found this forum to be a better fit, for me, TOS be damned. I do post at KB when the spirit moves me but that's not happening as much anymore. (Could be the brain drain over to WS, certainly.)

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Rosie Scott

Dustin Porta

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
I would say the event at kboards has been a bad thing for me. But this forum here is not the cause of that, people were going to leave no matter what. Looks like things are picking up pace here now that the holidays are over, maybe we'll see some more people make the leap.  Though I'm still waiting to see what the culture is like here. So far so good.
Have I mentioned I edit books?
Dustin's Developmental Beta Reading

Denise

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 12:48:10 AM »

I understand and appreciate the noble motives for splitting from KBoards, but for me, this new forum has been a bad thing.

People were leaving Kboards regardless, though. At least there's another place. I also like it here with all the subsections and with the private areas. It's becoming a valuable resource with organized information. 

The following users thanked this post: TimothyEllis, Bill Hiatt, Ghost5, OfficialEthanJ

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 02:27:27 AM »
I've hesitated to make this post. Please don't flame me—I'm just describing how this new forum has impacted me.

Some of the most helpful, active, and interesting posters have been siphoned off from KBoards. If I need help with something I must either (1) post in KBoards and get fewer responses, or I must (2) post in both places. I have enough trouble remembering what posts I make and having two discrete locations just makes it worse. I have chosen option 1.

Wholesale ship abandonment of KBoards seems unlikely, and the KBoards site owners don't seem to have changed their TOS.
I understand your perspective, but, as others have said, the new forum isn't what created the problem. I would have left Kboards regardless, and I think that is probably true of most others. I just wasn't willing to stick with a site that wanted much greater rights over our intellectual property than were needed to operate the site. I hung on as long as there seemed some hope that the TOS issues would be addressed. When they weren't, I felt I had no choice.

It's true the new owners haven't done anything nefarious with people's intellectual property--yet. I'm just not willing to take the chance. By the way, I followed the directions described by Verticalscope for requesting account deletion, and I've never heard back. I was expecting a rejection and was mostly doing it just to be on the record, so Verticalscope couldn't use a "You didn't remove your posts, so we have a right to do whatever we want with them," kind of argument. What I wasn't expecting was to be ignored for months. Common courtesy would have required some kind of response.

As far as wholesale ship abandonment is concerned, that's an individual choice, and I have no quarrel with people who continue to use Kboards. I understand the appeal. However, VS has a history of caring about forums only as a space for advertising. I checked out a couple of their "forums," just to see. One hadn't been posted on for months, and the last post was a user damning VS for not really caring about the forum. Another had no forum at all, just a whole lot of automotive ads, though it still used the domain of the old forum. Kboards had a huge user base and a lot of momentum, so I wouldn't expect it to collapse overnight. What's happening in five years may be a different story. At least with this new forum, people in the future will have a viable place to go if one is needed.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:49:00 PM »
I split this off from the original thread, as it seems to have taken on a life of its own.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.