Author Topic: Kindle Storyteller UK  (Read 1959 times)

Marti Talbott

Kindle Storyteller UK
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:04:01 PM »
I entered Pay to the Order of in this contest. The chances of winning are slim, but it's free publicity, so why not. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=12061299031
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

The following users thanked this post: Paul Gr

Rosie Scott

Re: Kindle Storyteller UK
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »
Nice! Good luck! I entered three books in the contest just because I saw they had their own category on the store where new readers can find them. Two out of three books I entered are in my pen-name, which is new and needs the exposure. I have no idea whether they go through every single entry to judge it or whittle it down first somehow, but it certainly can't hurt to be included.

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

cecilia_writer

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
Good luck both! I also have something in the contest - I don't think it has any chance of winning (although of course there would be zero chance if I hadn't entered at all!) but having made the very small extra effort of entering has also 'inspired' me to do a small amount of promotion and the thing is probably doing better than it otherwise might have done. So I'm happy with that.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Mark Gardner

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »

Marti Talbott

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 01:28:48 PM »
Nice to have good company. My book has gotten 3866 page reads since 7/9 and I thought the number of page reads would probably narrow down the field. Mine is a stand alone, so I assume books in an already established series will probably win. Or, maybe readers vote. I can't remember what it said, to be honest. Anyway, my page reads were a lot better than I expected.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 03:04:32 AM »
This year's iteration looked more appealing to me than the previous ones, which seemed to emphasize things like reviews as a screening mechanism. (That would tend to favor authors with big arc teams.) That element seems to be gone now (or at least not mentioned).

The problem I have with the Storyteller contests (as opposed to the old ABNA) is that entries are taken during a relatively small window and require newly published works. I had one that would have fit the window--just published--but it's the second book in a wide series, and it would have screwed up my marketing to have the second book in Select (as required by the contest) while the first was wide. Nor did I want to pull the first into select for 90 days. So I passed this time. Maybe next time.

It's always seemed to me that a first-in-series book or a standalone would be more likely to win than a book in the middle of series, anyway.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

cecilia_writer

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 05:19:08 AM »
I've entered the second in a (so far) two book series. But both are currently in KU - I can't put anything else in KU as I have an 18 book mystery series that's been wide for about 6 or 7 years and has two permafrees in it, plus some of my loyal readers only have Kobo readers, and a 6 book series that's also all wide. The two book series is in a different genre from all my other stuff so it seemed like a good thing to try in KU.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott

Marti Talbott

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 05:23:45 AM »
I've entered the second in a (so far) two book series. But both are currently in KU - I can't put anything else in KU as I have an 18 book mystery series that's been wide for about 6 or 7 years and has two permafrees in it, plus some of my loyal readers only have Kobo readers, and a 6 book series that's also all wide. The two book series is in a different genre from all my other stuff so it seemed like a good thing to try in KU.

That's basically what I did. I changed genre from historical romance to mystery and my fans didn't follow along. So I put all the mysteries in KU. So far, so good.

Paul Gr

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 06:41:27 PM »
Maybe I mix with the wrong kind of people, but I couldn't help but think why not unpublish an existing book and republish it with a new title and maybe new cover to satisfy the criteria.  Grin
In order to be eligible, books must be published between 1st May and 31 August 2019.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 01:42:38 AM »
Maybe I mix with the wrong kind of people, but I couldn't help but think why not unpublish an existing book and republish it with a new title and maybe new cover to satisfy the criteria.  Grin
In order to be eligible, books must be published between 1st May and 31 August 2019.
I didn't look it up, but usually Amazon includes language somewhere about never before having been published. In any case, Amazon's not a good company for experiments in getting around rules. It doesn't always enforce its rules consistently, but when it decides to enforce something, it goes to work with sledgehammers rather than scalpels.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

spin52

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 11:01:42 PM »
I entered my new standalone, since I usually go wide straight away. I know I don't have a chance of winning, but what the heck. It's been years since I had anything in KU and now I remember why I stopped using it!
Good luck to everyone who has entered.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott