Author Topic: ISBNs and going wide  (Read 2602 times)

sandree

ISBNs and going wide
« on: February 02, 2019, 03:35:05 AM »
OK - here we go with the newbie questions. I'm sorry if this has been addressed a million times before.

I plan to go wide. I am thinking of going direct with Amazon and Kobo and the rest through D2D. Is it best for me to purchase an ISBN from Bowker rather than being assigned three different numbers by these different vendors?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I go through this part of the process for the first time. But that's all for the moment...

Thank you  :pdt

LilyBLily

Re: ISBNs and going wide
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 03:55:21 AM »
Yes. Buy your own.

sandree

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:27:30 AM »
Thank you!

Newbie question #2. I would like to list my book under some subcategories but I am not given that option in the form I am filling out. Just very basic categories are presented. The two I know I want to use - science fiction, metaphysical and science fiction, colonization are ones that require a keyword. I get that but my question is - what do I pick from the generalized options offered? I have to pick those, right? And how do those keywords magically turn into a subcategory? Do I need to email or call to request that? And if I need to do that, do I enter the general ones and then call later? Can I ask for more than one subcategory at a time?

Thanks so much!!!

sandree

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:28:20 AM »
Sorry - I’m referring to Amazon above...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 06:40:23 AM »
OK - here we go with the newbie questions. I'm sorry if this has been addressed a million times before.

I plan to go wide. I am thinking of going direct with Amazon and Kobo and the rest through D2D. Is it best for me to purchase an ISBN from Bowker rather than being assigned three different numbers by these different vendors?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I go through this part of the process for the first time. But that's all for the moment...

Thank you  :pdt

Are you talking about digital, print, or both?  I haven't purchased any ISBNs, and that hasn't been an issue for me, but I also haven't done any print books, either.

Thank you!

Newbie question #2. I would like to list my book under some subcategories but I am not given that option in the form I am filling out. Just very basic categories are presented. The two I know I want to use - science fiction, metaphysical and science fiction, colonization are ones that require a keyword. I get that but my question is - what do I pick from the generalized options offered? I have to pick those, right? And how do those keywords magically turn into a subcategory? Do I need to email or call to request that? And if I need to do that, do I enter the general ones and then call later? Can I ask for more than one subcategory at a time?

Thanks so much!!!

My book Hostile Planet is in Metaphysical, so I can tell you what I did.

These are the two categories I picked:

The rest was done with keywords.  I used "metaphysical" as one of my keywords.

KDP offers a nice list of keywords to use to get into various categories.  You might find this helpful:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201216150

That's all there is to it.  Good luck.  :)
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

sandree

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:49:18 AM »
I am going to do a print book...

OK - so just listing those keywords will generate that subtitle. Correct? Don't have to do anything else...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:53:45 AM »
OK - so just listing those keywords will generate that subtitle. Correct? Don't have to do anything else...

I assume you mean subcategory, not subtitle, but yes.  Just using the suggested keyword from that link I posted should do the trick.

sandree

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:54:30 AM »
Sorry, yes that's what I mean. Thank you. Off to sign up!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »
Sorry, yes that's what I mean. Thank you. Off to sign up!

Good luck!    Grin

sandree

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 05:04:38 AM »
OK - my next green, green newbie questions.

I just uploaded my ebook and print book on Amazon. They are not listed as being in any categories. Why? I chose my categories and keywords when I went through the process. I am not in Kindle Unlimited.

The ebook and the print book are not in the same listing. I think I understand this one - that they will eventually be linked together or I have to contact them about that.

Thank you. Wandering in the self publishing wilderness! And figuring out my mailing list and website...

ebook: https://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Change-Willow-Thomson-ebook/dp/B07NPZDCQB/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1550257312&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=seeds+of+change+willow+thompson

paperback: https://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Change-Willow-Thomson/dp/057845999X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1550257312&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=seeds+of+change+willow+thompson

Cathleen

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »
Congrats on putting it out there, sandree. I love the cover you finally went with--it's organic and SF. :)

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 03:43:05 PM »
OK - my next green, green newbie questions.

I just uploaded my ebook and print book on Amazon. They are not listed as being in any categories. Why? I chose my categories and keywords when I went through the process. I am not in Kindle Unlimited.

The ebook and the print book are not in the same listing. I think I understand this one - that they will eventually be linked together or I have to contact them about that.

Thank you. Wandering in the self publishing wilderness! And figuring out my mailing list and website...

ebook: https://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Change-Willow-Thomson-ebook/dp/B07NPZDCQB/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1550257312&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=seeds+of+change+willow+thompson

paperback: https://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Change-Willow-Thomson/dp/057845999X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1550257312&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=seeds+of+change+willow+thompson

If I recall correctly, the categories don't show up until the first sale is made.  I see categories on the ebook, so it looks like you've made a sale of that version.  No categories on the print version yet.  Here's what I see for the ebook:

When you make your first print sale, then the categories should appear on the print version's page.

Hope that helps.  :)

sandree

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 09:44:02 PM »
Thank you so much. OK, now I see it in the ebook details.

Thank you, Cathleen!