Author Topic: Learn to Become a Sensitivity Reader - Online course  (Read 2369 times)

SensitivityReader

• Tag Line unlocked
Learn to Become a Sensitivity Reader - Online course
« on: October 04, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
Interested in becoming a Sensitivity Reader as a side gig, or full time? Wonder if you are qualified? Take our free 7-day ecourse to learn more. https://sensitivityreviews.com

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Learn to Become a Sensitivity Reader - Online course
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
I'm confused as to why the course is being advertised here.

It took me a while on the site and watching the vid to understand what the course is about, but I'm not sure why authors are going to be interested in doing the course. The vid is not advertising the course, but the need for what the course offers.

Makes more sense to me to be advertising here those readers who are available to vet books before publishing.

The website itself is all hype and no real substance. It is enticing people to pay a fee to learn a skill to form a business, and then also says there is no guarantee anyone will make any money from it, and the video actually says most of the actual reading is done free. Given there is also no course pricing I could find, one cannot judge the cost-effectiveness of the course.

Any authors reading this actually interested in the course?

Or perhaps those who completed it as a service?

Although there is no indication of what the service would cost either, so its hard to know if its worthwhile for an author to contact one of these people.

At best, it's a very confused site. The course should be separate from the service. Advertise the service here, and let people find the course. Advertise the course on reader sites, and let them find the service.

Anyone have any comments? Would the OP care to clarify things?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

SensitivityReader

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
Hi Timothy,

The initial course is free. If you want further details, yes, there is a cost and it is clearly indicated when go to their pages which are outlined in detail regarding what you will learn.  I am an author and Sensitivity Reader. Authors make great Sensitivity Readers. If you do a google search, you will find many authors who also offer this service.

But as you mentioned, yes, avid readers who are writers also make good Sensitivity Readers.

I'm confused as to why the course is being advertised here.

It took me a while on the site and watching the vid to understand what the course is about, but I'm not sure why authors are going to be interested in doing the course. The vid is not advertising the course, but the need for what the course offers.

Makes more sense to me to be advertising here those readers who are available to vet books before publishing.

The website itself is all hype and no real substance. It is enticing people to pay a fee to learn a skill to form a business, and then also says there is no guarantee anyone will make any money from it, and the video actually says most of the actual reading is done free. Given there is also no course pricing I could find, one cannot judge the cost-effectiveness of the course.

Any authors reading this actually interested in the course?

Or perhaps those who completed it as a service?

Although there is no indication of what the service would cost either, so its hard to know if its worthwhile for an author to contact one of these people.

At best, it's a very confused site. The course should be separate from the service. Advertise the service here, and let people find the course. Advertise the course on reader sites, and let them find the service.

Anyone have any comments? Would the OP care to clarify things?

guest215

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
I find it unlikely that one person could provide in-depth sensitivity advice for everything. A person needs to be very well-versed in an ethnicity, culture, religion, disability, gender, nationality, mental disorder, etc. to be able to provide useful feedback. Ideally, it would be someone actually from that background. There's no course that's going to teach someone how to be an expert at all these things.

I think "don't be a dick" covers most sensitivity issues. If you don't have personal experience in what you're writing and it's a potentially sensitive issue, and you can't find an expert to interview, don't write it.

That probably covers 90% of sensitivity issues. For the other 10% there are writers' boards, forums, and social media to ask questions of people who have in-depth, personal knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: spin52

guest819

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »

I think "don't be a dick" covers most sensitivity issues.

Spot On!