Author Topic: 2007 model iMac - worth paying $170 bucks?  (Read 1866 times)

Oscar Luster

2007 model iMac - worth paying $170 bucks?
« on: September 11, 2019, 05:25:37 AM »
So advice please from those who are far more technically versed than I am...

I have been looking for an affordable Mac of any ilk to run Vellum and Scrivener on - a used refurb dealer near me has 8 iMac 20 inch refurbs with 6 gigs ram, 250 GB HD for $170 each. To me it sounds like a deal if one of them will run Vellum and Scrivener, but they are 12 years old and I know that that is a lifetime in the tech world. So, opinions?

Post-Crisis D

Re: 2007 model iMac - worth paying $170 bucks?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 05:39:29 AM »
The 20" iMacs from 2007 will run Mac OS X 10.11.x as the maximum OS.

Vellum requires Mac OS X 10.12.x.

So close.  But nope.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, Oscar Luster

Oscar Luster

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 05:44:18 AM »
The 20" iMacs from 2007 will run Mac OS X 10.11.x as the maximum OS.

Vellum requires Mac OS X 10.12.x.

So close.  But nope.

Exactly why I wanted to ask! Thank you so much for weighing in.

quinning

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 07:03:45 AM »
Just adding as more of an archive note for future searches.

I just sold back my MacBook Pro Mid-2009 (was top of the line for 2009) as part of Apple’s deal to recycle/refurbish old machines and was paid $70 for it.

The following users thanked this post: Oscar Luster

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »
I just sold back my MacBook Pro Mid-2009 (was top of the line for 2009) as part of Apple’s deal to recycle/refurbish old machines and was paid $70 for it.

You might have been able to almost $200 for it on eBay.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, Oscar Luster

quinning

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »
That sounds like a headache to me. I really just wanted it out of the house. The power cord only works if you hold your mouth just right. It was barely functional (slower than Christmas) and I don’t want to deal with anyone believing I mislead them about what state of a computer they were buying.

I was just pleased that it held on for 10 years. It was a good computer for me, then daughter 1, then daughter 2.

I’ve sold stuff on EBay, but shy away from doing anything there electronic.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 07:39:14 AM »
That sounds like a headache to me. I really just wanted it out of the house. The power cord only works if you hold your mouth just right. It was barely functional (slower than Christmas) and I don’t want to deal with anyone believing I mislead them about what state of a computer they were buying.

You can probably still buy new power adapters for them.  (My MacBook Pro is a 2007 model and I think it was last year that I bought a new power adapter and battery for it.  Or maybe it was earlier this year.)

And, usually, people buying older models know what they are buying so they know it won't be as fast as a new machine.  And, sometimes, they might just be buying it for parts to repair their own machine.  The original screen on mine broke and the only way I could get a replacement was to buy a parts machine on eBay.  Found one with no hard drive and used the screen from it to replace mine.

I’ve sold stuff on EBay, but shy away from doing anything there electronic.

I can understand that.  Too many horror stories.  But worth noting for those willing that you can usually get more money selling a used Mac on eBay than what Apple will give you for it.

Also, for future searchers, don't underestimate (or overestimate, for that matter) the collectors market for older machines.  Ones from the 90s and earlier are "hot" now but in probably a couple years or so, ones from the 2000s are going to be of interest, especially if there is scarcity due to people sending them back to Apple for recycling.

The following users thanked this post: quinning, Mark Gardner, Oscar Luster

Denise

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 08:09:20 AM »
I have a 2009 Mac and use Vellum. The issue is that the newest version of Vellum won't work with it anymore...  :help
It's fine, the previous version still works well, the computer is solid and I like it, but at this point I think I'll have to change computers soon.

The newest Vellum requires Sierra, and Sierra requires a mac from late 2009 or later. Mine is mid 2009.

So if you could maybe spend a little more and get a version at least from 2010 it would be better for Vellum.

I don't use Scrivener and I'd be spooked out to use it in such an old computer. I'd be afraid something could happen and I'd lose all my work.  I write on Google Docs.

Tom Wood

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
Scrivener is days to weeks from releasing the Windows 3.0 version that brings that version up to near-parity with the Mac version. (The Windows version will skip from 1.9 to 3.0) Release Candidate 1 (Beta 23) was released a couple of weeks ago. They targeted August 30 as the official release date but missed it. For Vellum, you can rent a Mac at macincloud.com and install your licensed instance there if buying a Mac is not in the plan.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 12:56:12 PM »
A 2010 Mac Pro is a great buy right now with the 2019 about to come out. (The market will saturate in about a month or two) The 2010 & 2012 are still a little pricey at $250 $350 since they're the only Mac Pro produced in the last 7 years, but as soon as the 2019 model hits, the 2010 & 2012 models will see a drop in pricing. Plus, the 2010s run up to High Sierra, and Mojave with a metal compatible video card. Finally, you can run Windows 7 or the garbage that came after it on the Mac Pro and utilize the multi-CPU, multi core action, while having access to both operating systems.