Author Topic: KDP paperback Issues?  (Read 3674 times)

A. N. Onymous

KDP paperback Issues?
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:03:54 AM »
Has anyone whose files were transferred from CS to KDP had any quality issues reported to them or Amazon from customers? I only ask because I hadn't made any alterations to my files since the transfer, nor could I order author copies to be sent to Australia. I wasn't overly concerned because I don't really sell paperbacks anywhere but locally from my stock. I had a surprising sale of three paperbacks yesterday, three volumes of my non-fic series. While extremely welcome, I am anxious about the quality. My covers were originated from the CS cover-creator which I knew to be incompatible with KDP's software.

JB Rowley

Re: KDP paperback Issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:07:45 AM »
I've only sold a few paperbacks since the transfer - no probs reported as yet.

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:23:17 AM »
Good to know. Did you alter anything? I know some authors had a few issues when they went in to make alterations.

JB Rowley

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »
Good to know. Did you alter anything? I know some authors had a few issues when they went in to make alterations.

I haven't altered anything as yet. The books are still not available to Australian buyers so I'm keeping my hands off them until that part of the transfer is complete (takes 30 bloody days).

ilamont

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »
When I make the switch, I am going to order copies of everything to check the quality.

Also, over the years Createspace and Ingram have had their own quality issues. POD can be really inconsistent, unfortunately.
I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
Has anyone whose files were transferred from CS to KDP had any quality issues reported to them or Amazon from customers?

I am having issues transferring from CS to KDP.

If I try to initiate the process on KDP it tells me there is a 3 step process. I click to start and a circle spins. It spins for hours. Nothing happens.

If I go to CS to start the process, my link to a KDP account is verified, and I transfer there and the circle spins.....

My internet is slow, and I have several paperbacks, so I allowed that the transfer might be a long process and left the "spin" overnight. No progress.

Has anyone else had this issue?

If the process worked for you, was it lengthy?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

Simon Haynes

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 06:33:20 PM »
Has anyone whose files were transferred from CS to KDP had any quality issues reported to them or Amazon from customers? I only ask because I hadn't made any alterations to my files since the transfer, nor could I order author copies to be sent to Australia. I wasn't overly concerned because I don't really sell paperbacks anywhere but locally from my stock. I had a surprising sale of three paperbacks yesterday, three volumes of my non-fic series. While extremely welcome, I am anxious about the quality. My covers were originated from the CS cover-creator which I knew to be incompatible with KDP's software.

KDP Print won't ship to Australia. It's to do with the GST wrangle between the aussie govt and Amazon.

Amazon's suggestion is that we order from third-party vendors in Australia. Our own books, at 2 x retail plus postage. Err no thanks.

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 07:06:57 PM »
Has anyone whose files were transferred from CS to KDP had any quality issues reported to them or Amazon from customers?

If I try to initiate the process on KDP it tells me there is a 3 step process. I click to start and a circle spins. It spins for hours. Nothing happens.

If I go to CS to start the process, my link to a KDP account is verified, and I transfer there and the circle spins.....

My internet is slow, and I have several paperbacks, so I allowed that the transfer might be a long process and left the "spin" overnight. No progress.

Thanks for your help.

I had no problems at all transferring my books over. Took only moments. Maybe you'd be best off waiting for CS to do it themselves if what you say continues. They are going to do automatically when they wind up.

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »

KDP Print won't ship to Australia. It's to do with the GST wrangle between the aussie govt and Amazon.

Amazon's suggestion is that we order from third-party vendors in Australia. Our own books, at 2 x retail plus postage. Err no thanks.

Got that right. No way I am paying that much for one of my books just to check the quality...again.

JB Rowley

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »

Amazon does ship to Australia once the books have made their way to the Amazon Global Store.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »

Thanks for your help.

I had no problems at all transferring my books over. Took only moments. Maybe you'd be best off waiting for CS to do it themselves if what you say continues. They are going to do automatically when they wind up.

Thanks.

I have emailed KDP to ask for advice. It may be a glitch at their end, and it may be affecting others.

On KDP frequently asked questions it says:

"If your CreateSpace book was available for sale and you don't take any action, it will remain available for sale. You'll continue to earn royalties, and we'll pay you based on the payment and tax information you provided to CreateSpace. We'll also calculate your sales rank as normal at all points during and after the transition. If you were editing or working on a CreateSpace book and it wasn't available for sale, it will transition to KDP in "draft" status. After the CreateSpace website is no longer available, you'll be prompted to claim an account on KDP so you can access your books there."

So it sounds like I don't need to do anything in a hurry, but I'll still have to "claim an account on KDP" once CreateSpace is no longer available. Not sure if this means the same process as now, or if they will actually put my books across automatically.

I'll update if I hear anything of interest from KDP just in case anyone else encounters the same problem as me.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:09:25 PM by Kay Inglis »

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 10:58:25 PM »
I had no problems transferring, and I've also sold a few paperbacks since with no negative reports. I probably should have ordered author copies of all of them but haven't so far. However, I've had a new release since then, did order a copy of that, and it came out fine.

Kay, the slow internet could be an issue, but if that were the only problem, the transfer should fail with some kind of error message, not just freeze. (I think that's the case if something times out, anyway.)

I don't recall if you mentioned other troubleshooting steps, but I find it can be helpful to try different browsers. For instance, I can't do the online routine with Chase to verify receipt of a new credit card if I use Chrome, but it goes through fine in IE. Over the years, I've seen that happen a lot of times.

How you access your service can also be an issue. A while ago, I switched to a VPN for privacy reasons, and it works fine for most websites, but there are a few (Barnes and Noble, oddly enough, is one of them) that choke when I tried to browse using a VPN. I have to turn it off in those cases. Of course, if you're accessing the internet without the intervention of a VPN or other intermediary, that shouldn't be an issue.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

Kay Inglis

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »
I had no problems transferring, and I've also sold a few paperbacks since with no negative reports. I probably should have ordered author copies of all of them but haven't so far. However, I've had a new release since then, did order a copy of that, and it came out fine.

Kay, the slow internet could be an issue, but if that were the only problem, the transfer should fail with some kind of error message, not just freeze. (I think that's the case if something times out, anyway.)

I don't recall if you mentioned other troubleshooting steps, but I find it can be helpful to try different browsers. For instance, I can't do the online routine with Chase to verify receipt of a new credit card if I use Chrome, but it goes through fine in IE. Over the years, I've seen that happen a lot of times.

How you access your service can also be an issue. A while ago, I switched to a VPN for privacy reasons, and it works fine for most websites, but there are a few (Barnes and Noble, oddly enough, is one of them) that choke when I tried to browse using a VPN. I have to turn it off in those cases. Of course, if you're accessing the internet without the intervention of a VPN or other intermediary, that shouldn't be an issue.

Trying another browser was a good idea, but I still got the endless spinning.

Not sure what VPN is, but as far as I know I don't use it.

If I don't get an answer from KDP I will take the advice of Phoenix above and wait to see if CS transfer automatically and I just need to somehow "claim" my CS account on KDP.

Doglover

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »
No quality issues but, after the transfer has completed and everything approved, I have twice changed the price and then been told my spine text is too large. So I've had to make whole new covers, because kdp insist on pdf.

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 06:04:47 AM »
Three of my non-fic books have CS cover Creator covers which I know are not compatible with KDP software. I know already that if I make any changes to them I have to get new covers.