Author Topic: Amazon Deprioritizes Book Sales Amid Coronavirus Crisis  (Read 1460 times)

Eric Thomson

Amazon Deprioritizes Book Sales Amid Coronavirus Crisis
« on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:22 AM »
"As it works to meet the surge in demand for "household staples, medical supplies, and other high demand products," Amazon has told other suppliers, including publishers, that their goods will receive a low priority until at least April 5, according to both a letter PW has obtained that was sent to independent publishers earlier today and an article Amazon posted on its Amazon Seller Central website."

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/82713-amazon-deprioritizes-book-sales-amid-coronavirus-crisis.html

I'm assuming they mean print books, not ebooks.

The following users thanked this post: AmHere, The Masked Scrivener

AmHere

Re: Amazon Deprioritizes Book Sales Amid Coronavirus Crisis
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:45:44 AM »
I'm assuming they mean print books, not ebooks.

That would be my guess too. I'd be ok even if it affects ebooks so that they can take care of folks who need the essentials.

Edit: My print books still show the following "Available to ship in 1-2 days. " on the product page. Not sure if a different message is displayed at checkout.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:45:06 AM by AmHere »

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
Edit: My print books still show the following "Available to ship in 1-2 days. " on the product page. Not sure if a different message is displayed at checkout.

Same here. I got that email this morning, so I went into Amazon and ordered one of my paperbacks to see how it would go. Said the book would arrive sometime next week. With Amazon taking on 100,000 new workers in the coming days, I'm thinking they've got this handled. It's the supplies they need to worry about.

On another note, I went through the process of ordering and was going to have it sent to a Yellow Box just down the road, but when I saw the shipping on it, I just about flipped. I don't remember the shipping being $10 to send a book to the Yellow Box. As a matter of fact, I remember it being less than the standard shipping.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:26:46 PM by dgcasey »
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 01:11:37 AM »
I have a few titles that sell well in paper, but mostly they are beach books and it's not the season.

I ordered copies of one of my recent releases on March 7 and Amazon just notified me that they had shipped. So they are doing some printing of paperbacks.

The Masked Scrivener

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 02:49:02 AM »
I read that this only pertains to third party sellers. All though it might affect Amazon employees working at the POD locations, the new policy isn't suppose to interrupt products sold by Amazon directly.

Of course this is a very fluid situation and could change before I hit 'post' on this comment.

AmHere

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:15:06 AM »
Amazon delays shipments of nonessential items in the US by up to a month
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-delays-shipments-of-nonessential-items-in-the-us-by-up-to-a-month/

My print books still show ships in 1 - 2 days.

But these coffee related items show delivery date of April 21!

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-LHS-Paperless-Reusable-Non-slip/dp/B07MX87HH9 (3rd party seller, fulfilled by Amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0R46I (sold by Amazon)

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:19:58 AM »
We got shrinkie dink sheets on Saturday, a day faster than promised.