Author Topic: Cats vs Dogs  (Read 26944 times)

cecilia_writer

Re: Cats vs Dogs
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 03:42:36 AM »
I wonder what percentage of author bios start with:

[Author Name] lives in [town] with [n] [adjective] [cat(s)/dogs(s)] ...

Mine does! (I like both cats and dogs but as cats are generally less demanding I prefer them)
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

JRTomlin

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2018, 04:02:43 AM »
My Westie, MacFluff, and my humongous 20 pound Maine Coon, Jade, are best buds. It is fairly amusing when they play since they are about the same size. Jade was two years old (not yet full grown for a Maine Coon) when I brought my 3-month-old fluff ball home.

ETA: I suppose I am somewhat more of a dog person than a cat person, but having both is the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:07:57 AM by JRTomlin »

Becca Mills

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2018, 04:04:08 AM »
Cats can be trained to use the toilet.

Dogs drink out of the toilet.

My childhood cat began using the toilet totally spontaneously. My Mom heard running water in there and figured she'd left the sink on, walked in and there was the cat, crouched on the seat, peeing. He seemed to have noticed he was the only one who didn't relieve himself there, and darned if he was going to be the household oddball. It was *fantastic* ... until he started pooping beside the toilet instead of into it. My theory is that the turds splashed him when they entered the bowl, a completely unacceptable occurrence, duh. What self-respecting cat would put up with such a thing? So he figured beside the toilet was a reasonable compromise.

He was a heck of a cat.

Now, to address your vile slander: our dogs don't drink from the toilet. You just, like, say No the first time they show an interest in it, and then they don't. Dogs are cool that way.  grint
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Jo

Guerin

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2018, 04:07:42 AM »
This is Kat. She's very particular about the way her name is spelled, and I don't blame her.

Guerin Zand | Website | Facebook

The following users thanked this post: Rose Andrews

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2018, 04:11:26 AM »
Now, to address your vile slander: our dogs don't drink from the toilet. You just, like, say No the first time they show an interest in it, and then they don't. Dogs are cool that way.  grint

That's kind of the point though.  You don't have to tell cats NOT to drink out of the toilet.   grint
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Becca Mills

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2018, 04:13:41 AM »

That's kind of the point though.  You don't have to tell cats NOT to drink out of the toilet.   grint

Pretty sure they just can't reach the water ...  :icon_think:
Recently Read ...

Guerin

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2018, 04:16:02 AM »

Pretty sure they just can't reach the water ...  :icon_think:

There! End of discussion!

P.S.

And if they fall in, they can't swim as well as a dog!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:20:37 AM by Guerin »

Guerin Zand | Website | Facebook

idontknowyet

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »
My puppies are very finicky they only like ice water and organic carrots. Ok so that's not the only thing they like but still....

Maggie Ann

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2018, 04:34:56 AM »
My dog is addicted to fries. Doesn't matter if they are home made or come from McD's or Wendy's. He goes berserko when he smells them. Since Mikey also squeals like a wounded goose, we quickly give him all the fries he wants.

oganalp

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2018, 04:49:43 AM »
I have 4 cats. I love cats, dogs, squirrels, snakes, cows, tigers etc. They all have their own unique attraction and appeal. One of my cats is trying to steal a flash drive as I am writing these lines...

guest120

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2018, 04:54:23 AM »
When I was a boy, I had a sandbox too.  Sandboxes are fun.  Sand is fun.  Sometimes I do sand art in glass bottles.  I guess the fun of sand never goes away.  Stray cats never messed with it but one day the neighbor boy urinated in my sandbox.  Didn't even bother to bury it.  My parents got rid of the sandbox after that.  And the other neighbor kid used to shoot at me with his BB gun.

So never mind the cats and dogs.  Spay and neuter your neighbors.

R H Auslander

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2018, 06:17:20 AM »

I beg your pardon, our youngest (12 years) Kat thing does, indeed, attempt to drink from the toilet on the odd occasion the facility door is left ajar, even though she has water on first and second floor. On this rare occasion, we know she's at it when we here the delicate splash and Spot comes down the stairs at roughly Warp 9 in a somewhat dampish condition. The dogs won't go near anything but their water or food dishes, they are strictly trained so.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:58:21 PM by R H Auslander »

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »
Coco, my shih tzu, is the sweetest dog in the universe.  She always has to be near me.  She also loves our two cats, Socks and Evie.  Socks is my shy, really large cat, and Evie is a feisty little thing.

I guess I'm a cat and a dog person.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2018, 07:47:05 AM »
When I was a boy, I had a sandbox too.  Sandboxes are fun.  Sand is fun.  Sometimes I do sand art in glass bottles.  I guess the fun of sand never goes away.  Stray cats never messed with it but one day the neighbor boy urinated in my sandbox.  Didn't even bother to bury it.  My parents got rid of the sandbox after that.  And the other neighbor kid used to shoot at me with his BB gun.

So never mind the cats and dogs.  Spay and neuter your neighbors.

How am I ever going to get that picture out of my head? [shudder]

M R M

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »

My childhood cat began using the toilet totally spontaneously. My Mom heard running water in there and figured she'd left the sink on, walked in and there was the cat, crouched on the seat, peeing. He seemed to have noticed he was the only one who didn't relieve himself there, and darned if he was going to be the household oddball. It was *fantastic* ... until he started pooping beside the toilet instead of into it. My theory is that the turds splashed him when they entered the bowl, a completely unacceptable occurrence, duh. What self-respecting cat would put up with such a thing? So he figured beside the toilet was a reasonable compromise.

He was a heck of a cat.

I have a cat whose litter tray is beside the toilet. She uses it, then crosses the room to the sink, where she turns on the tap and washes her paws. Little bitch never turns the tap off again.
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author M R Mortimer
| Author Web Site | Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

The following users thanked this post: Becca Mills

Becca Mills

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »

He was a heck of a cat.

I have a cat whose litter tray is beside the toilet. She uses it, then crosses the room to the sink, where she turns on the tap and washes her paws. Little bitch never turns the tap off again.

That's hilarious.  Grin

My cat used to stand on the seat and meow until we came and flushed the toilet. Then he'd scramble around the seat, sticking his paw down there in an effort catch the swirling water. But then his paw would be wet, which was Bad.
Recently Read ...

munboy

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2018, 01:49:31 AM »
Well...here are my two fur babies. You tell me which one looks like they're more fun to have around.  :icon_rofl:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 05:01:14 AM »
My cat used to stand on the seat and meow until we came and flushed the toilet. Then he'd scramble around the seat, sticking his paw down there in an effort catch the swirling water. But then his paw would be wet, which was Bad.

When I was younger, my family had a cat that liked to play in the bathtub.  Not when it was full of water, though.  He liked running water but not from the faucet.  We started keeping a cup in the bathtub because often when you went into the bathroom, he'd jump in the tub and meow until you filled the cup with water, then splashed it on the side of the tub opposite the drain so he could try to catch it as it rolled down toward the drain.  He liked it better if you could get a could swirl started up and along the side of the tub because then he'd try to catch the water on the side.

He didn't care if his paws got wet.  He'd pounce on the water and try to catch it.  His little feet would be slapping the water all the way toward the drain.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Becca Mills

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2018, 05:04:02 AM »

When I was younger, my family had a cat that liked to play in the bathtub.  Not when it was full of water, though.  He liked running water but not from the faucet.  We started keeping a cup in the bathtub because often when you went into the bathroom, he'd jump in the tub and meow until you filled the cup with water, then splashed it on the side of the tub opposite the drain so he could try to catch it as it rolled down toward the drain.  He liked it better if you could get a could swirl started up and along the side of the tub because then he'd try to catch the water on the side.

He didn't care if his paws got wet.  He'd pounce on the water and try to catch it.  His little feet would be slapping the water all the way toward the drain.

Okay, that's pretty darned cute.  :catrun
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 05:27:23 AM »
This is him playing in the tub.

Becca Mills

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:39 AM »
This is him playing in the tub.

Looks quite a bit like ours when he was trying to catch the flush. :)
Recently Read ...

Captain Cranky

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »
My Westie, MacFluff, and my humongous 20 pound Maine Coon, Jade, are best buds. It is fairly amusing when they play since they are about the same size. Jade was two years old (not yet full grown for a Maine Coon) when I brought my 3-month-old fluff ball home.

ETA: I suppose I am somewhat more of a dog person than a cat person, but having both is the best of both worlds.

Awww I have a Maine Coon too, Apollo. He's not quite as big as yours, he's about 7kg atm (15-16 lbs?). We have two bunnies too, Evie and Petunia. But we really want a dog, I agree it would be the best of both worlds :-)

If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Vijaya

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2018, 12:43:59 AM »
Loving all the pet photos. My aunt had a boxer who used the Indian style toilet. She also had a cat that was so spoiled, she wouldn't drink whey. Only cream for her. So here are my current lovebugs:

I can't figure out how to put the pictures in the post. Help please.

ETA: It worked!!! Thank you Tony!!!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:44:30 AM by Vijaya »

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Tonyonline

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2018, 03:30:04 AM »
Loving all the pet photos. My aunt had a boxer who used the Indian style toilet. She also had a cat that was so spoiled, she wouldn't drink whey. Only cream for her.
So here are my current lovebugs:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y_yv1uHqoYI/WGa9ZMaIDKI/AAAAAAAAK6E/yXsIWKzhBD8rkUOLszRp2u04XnrOioJuQCPcB/s1600/IMG_20161220_114621831.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DabQ1wuwX5o/WGa9TY8lDAI/AAAAAAAAK6E/jlRQZy0Zfl8zU8yDPkWoaFHPITsTgzFVQCPcB/s320/IMG_20160621_062722482_HDR.jpg

I can't figure out how to put the pictures in the post. Help please.

Look above the dialog box and emotions and you'll see what looks like a photo (under the B) click on that and you'll get two [img] tags, put the link between them, making sure not to delete the brackets and there are no gaps between the brackets.

Oh and I'm a cat person  Grin

Max

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2018, 05:48:30 AM »
FYI.
Cats absolutely do drink from the toilet.

And if you dare to close the lid, the black wench of a cat will chew the tubing behind the toilet, thereby causing water to spew that she can play in. At two o'clock in the morning. While you are asleep and have no idea this is happening. Thereby leaving more than an inch of standing water on the second floor of your home. Which will then leak to the first floor and fill up the light fixture attached to the ceiling fan. And you will have to cat proof the tubing on all three bathrooms and keep the doors closed, for good measure.
And yet you still love the little beastie and treat her like the wonderful fat demon cat that she is. Because you love her. Forever. You're the closest thing she has to a momma since she was abandoned at a week old. And you will always love her. And you'll use her picture as your avatar on a writing forum.

All that, to say that cats do drink from the toilet.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Maggie Ann, ragdoll, Jo

Becca Mills

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2018, 07:10:20 AM »
FYI.

And if you dare to close the lid, the black wench of a cat will chew the tubing behind the toilet, thereby causing water to spew that she can play in. At two o'clock in the morning. While you are asleep and have no idea this is happening. Thereby leaving more than an inch of standing water on the second floor of your home. Which will then leak to the first floor and fill up the light fixture attached to the ceiling fan. And you will have to cat proof the tubing on all three bathrooms and keep the doors closed, for good measure.
And yet you still love the little beastie and treat her like the wonderful fat demon cat that she is. Because you love her. Forever. You're the closest thing she has to a momma since she was abandoned at a week old. And you will always love her. And you'll use her picture as your avatar on a writing forum.

One learns something new every day, truly.  :icon_eek:  Grin
Recently Read ...

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2018, 07:11:41 AM »
Does your cat have adamantium teeth?

munboy

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »
FYI.

I read somewhere that animals drink from the toilet because it's cold water. Don't know if it's true or not, but they definitely do when they get the chance.

Max

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
Does your cat have adamantium teeth?

You and that big word that I must now google.

Okay, a fictional metal. LOL No she does not. But thank you for teaching me something!

M R M

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »
I love fictional substances! Like Unobtanium, otherwise know as intelligent management... :P :P :P

I began my love of such things with E E Doc Smith and his element "X". That was some wonderful stuff.
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

TheLadyNyra

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2018, 05:54:40 AM »
I'm definitely team dog - I'm allergic to cats and it's a NIGHTMARE being in my mother-in-law's due to her cat and her unwillingness to remove it from the room when I'm there... it's been a great excuse not to visit for the last seven or eight years!

My pup can be seen here...

Or you can see him on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/jabba.the.mastiff/

Yes, he has his own Instagram account. The git has more followers than my author account does!

Becca Mills

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »
Or you can see him on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/jabba.the.mastiff/

Yes, he has his own Instagram account. The git has more followers than my author account does!

What a handsome boy! :)
Recently Read ...

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »

Well, he's friends with Yoda. How could he NOT have more followers than you? The Force feels strong with this one.   :smilie_zauber:
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Doglover

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2018, 07:33:36 PM »
This forum seems to be over run by cute little kitties. Us dog lovers need to unite and balance the furry little dictators out with cute cuddly happiness.
Here you go! See my avatar. That's what I call a dog.

The following users thanked this post: Jo

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
Here you go! See my avatar. That's what I call a dog.

The rest of us call that a horse. 
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The following users thanked this post: Doglover, Jo

ragdoll

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »

I think that answers the question.

Finally got my husband to consistently put the lid down when he saw his CAT drinking out of the toilet.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2018, 01:10:13 PM »

Finally got my husband to consistently put the lid down when he saw his CAT drinking out of the toilet.

Clever of you to train the cat to drink out of the toilet while your husband was watching.  :littleclap

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »

Clever of you to train the cat to drink out of the toilet while your husband was watching.  :littleclap

It might be the cat trying to train the human.  The cat probably thinks, the sink is mine, the toilet is yours.

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

M R M

« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
 :catrun

The black cats are scaring me. I have one. HIS name is Fletcher. He is nearly a year old and has been proudly cleaning and showing off his enormous boy bits for a long while now, and my wife and I have agreed it is time for him to have a special visit to the vets to remove some of them.

There is only one problem with that. Some time in the last 12 to 24 hours, HE gave birth to four surprise kittens! He still has boy boobies so we are stressing on him getting some milk, because it is looking like bottle fed babies might be keeping us up for a while.

This is the biggest shock I've had in a while.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2018, 10:40:44 PM »

The black cats are scaring me. I have one. HIS name is Fletcher. He is nearly a year old and has been proudly cleaning and showing off his enormous boy bits for a long while now, and my wife and I have agreed it is time for him to have a special visit to the vets to remove some of them.

There is only one problem with that. Some time in the last 12 to 24 hours, HE gave birth to four surprise kittens! He still has boy boobies so we are stressing on him getting some milk, because it is looking like bottle fed babies might be keeping us up for a while.

Fletcheretta?

Well, congrats (I think) on the babies.

Vijaya

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2018, 04:54:14 AM »

Wow!!! And congratulations!!!!

grint  the same in our household.

JRTomlin

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2018, 02:12:20 AM »

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

idontknowyet

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »

How are your baby dictators doing? 

M R M

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »

How are your baby dictators doing?

So far, so good. They have been gaining weight steadily, all healthy thus far. Will likely open their eyes in the next day or so.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
So far, so good. They have been gaining weight steadily, all healthy thus far. Will likely open their eyes in the next day or so.

Pics?   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Vijaya

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2018, 03:42:47 AM »
YES!!! We want pictures!!!

Max

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2018, 06:18:55 AM »
Yes, please! Pics!

M R M

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
I will get some photos this evening after work :) This morning three had passed 200 grams, and the fourth was not far from it!  :catrun Eyes are starting to open. A week old now - that went fast.

Rose Andrews

• Short Story unlocked
  • Historical Western & 20th Century Romance
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
I love them all. :kiss:

Right now though we have 2 cats: a lynx point dsh and a calico. My husband refuses to get a third pet and says no to our pleadings for a dog. It must be the new carpet that's only 2 months old. Sigh.

Recently, our calico has been doing the strangest thing. She sits in front of the couch and sniffs underneath a particular cushion. I've pulled that cushion up a million times and have found nothing underneath. Not sure what her problem is but she sits there and stares at it, sniffs, stares a bit more then walks away. Like, wtf???
20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest | Instagram

M R M

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
It's turned stormy and Fletcher is guarding the bubs and doesn't want me getting them out for pics, but here are some pictures from a few days ago, and one of them together when we found them. Not great pics, they were hard to hold and wiggling about, but I hope to get some nice pics of them soon.