Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308891 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #350 on: January 19, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
I wrote 1,035 words today which put me over the 80k mark.  No idea if I can end it within the next 20k words though, considering my MCs are split up and they still have to get back together and move on to fight the big bad.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #351 on: January 19, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
I wrote 1,035 words today which put me over the 80k mark.  No idea if I can end it within the next 20k words though, considering my MCs are split up and they still have to get back together and move on to fight the big bad.

Congrats!!!!!   Blow up the world in 19k words. It's the perfect ending.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

idontknowyet

« Reply #352 on: January 19, 2019, 11:20:37 AM »
I barely wrote 300 words today. It was a bit busy. I need a good day but I doubt that's going to be tomorrow. 

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #353 on: January 19, 2019, 12:06:43 PM »
Blow up the world in 19k words. It's the perfect ending.

Already destroyed the world in a previous novel.  And it's going to happen in another WIP, so probably best not to dip into that well too many times.  ;)
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #354 on: January 19, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
Everyone has had such a wonderful week...I think we need to celebrate!  What's more perfect for Fantasy Friday than Firefly/Serenity?  :cheers

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #355 on: January 20, 2019, 07:19:44 AM »
I wrote 1,025 words today.  If I can average 1,030 words per day for the rest of the month, I can boost my daily average for the month to 1k/day.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet, diisha392

idontknowyet

« Reply #356 on: January 20, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »
I wrote about 500 words today which isn't too bad considering I didn't expect to get any. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

idontknowyet

« Reply #357 on: January 22, 2019, 02:01:23 AM »
Yesterday I think I literally got 50 words. Just one short paragraph written. I'm going to try to do better today.  :shrug

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »
I wrote 1,225 words yesterday and 1,255 words today.  The MCs are together again sooner than expected due to an unexpected circumstance.  My current average daily word count is now 1,008.  Hopefully I can keep it at 1,000+ for the rest of the month.

diisha392

« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »
90 words today (working on completing a short story prompt for a contest)

idontknowyet

« Reply #360 on: January 22, 2019, 01:50:00 PM »
A little less than 100 words. Um at least I got words down. Hopefully I don't hate them so much I delete them tomorrow and a few friends.  :tap

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #361 on: January 23, 2019, 08:57:59 AM »
A snow day means 1K written between two short stories :)  (one for a contest, one for a reader magnet as I try to build my newsletter subscriptions--I have 3 people on it so far!)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
I wrote 1,555 words today.  A minor villain kidnapped some children and plotted evil things to do to them.

idontknowyet

« Reply #363 on: January 23, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
I wrote 1,555 words today.  A minor villain kidnapped some children and plotted evil things to do to them.

Oh no!!!!

Though in all seriousness, careful with that the only thing less funny than evil things with kids is evil things to animals. You can kill a million people in a book but not an animal.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #364 on: January 23, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »
Though in all seriousness, careful with that the only thing less funny than evil things with kids is evil things to animals. You can kill a million people in a book but not an animal.

No worries about animals.  Someone with a pet was killed earlier in the book, so I made sure to have a special chapter assuring readers the pet would be okay.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2019, 11:45:47 AM »
I seriously stopped reading a book last fall because the dog was murdered (so thanks for the reassurances on the pet's survival)

idontknowyet

« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »
I barely hit 100 words again. I need some good days.  :HB

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #367 on: January 24, 2019, 03:11:46 AM »
I wrote 2.2k over the weekend (mostly on Monday) and 600 last night.  Over halfway through part 2 of my spy story.  :catrun

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #368 on: January 24, 2019, 03:40:26 AM »
So far for today, I'm at -1 words.  Also, I did a quick count and one character has died 23 times so far.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #369 on: January 24, 2019, 03:54:37 AM »
So far for today, I'm at -1 words.  Also, I did a quick count and one character has died 23 times so far.

LOL  Is this the romance?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #370 on: January 24, 2019, 04:02:34 AM »

LOL  Is this the romance?

No, this is the fantasy adventure.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #371 on: January 24, 2019, 07:17:51 AM »
I wrote 1,165 words today.  I guess technically I wrote 1,166 words since I deleted a word at the start.  So, technically, I'm ahead by 1,165 words today.  Over 87k now.

diisha392

« Reply #372 on: January 24, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »
Around 400 words today (but I skipped the gym...)

munboy

« Reply #373 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:57 PM »
1625 today. Only missed one day since putting myself on a 1300 a day goal.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #374 on: January 25, 2019, 01:46:42 AM »
500 words yesterday and decided it was a great place to end part 2 of my story, so I published it! 

Starting part 3 today.  :cheers

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

diisha392

« Reply #375 on: January 25, 2019, 02:33:08 AM »
500 words yesterday and decided it was a great place to end part 2 of my story, so I published it! 

:clap:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #376 on: January 25, 2019, 04:36:24 AM »
Last night, I realized the chapter title I'm using on the chapter I'm writing doesn't quite fit and that it would be more appropriate for the next chapter.  And then I came up with a title for the current chapter that did fit.  Didn't write it down because the computer was off and I figured it was so obvious and easy that I'd remember it the following day which is today.

I remember that it was three words long.  Maybe.  Other than that, no idea.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #377 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »
I wrote 2,250 words today, which puts my monthly total so far just 40 words short of matching December's total word count.  So, technically, if I only write 50 words over the next week, I'll beat December's word count.

My last chapter was over 10k words long.  Normally, my chapters are 1k-3k.  Not sure if that's good or bad.

I'm anticipating hitting 95k for the WIP by the end of the month.  I don't know how long this one will end up since there's still a long way to go to wrap up the story.

I sometimes feel like there's too much dialogue, but then sometimes when I go back and read it, it doesn't seem as bad as I think it seems when I'm writing it.

idontknowyet

« Reply #378 on: January 25, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »

:clap:   :tup3b   :clap:

idontknowyet

« Reply #379 on: January 25, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »
Last night, I realized the chapter title I'm using on the chapter I'm writing doesn't quite fit and that it would be more appropriate for the next chapter.  And then I came up with a title for the current chapter that did fit.  Didn't write it down because the computer was off and I figured it was so obvious and easy that I'd remember it the following day which is today.

I remember that it was three words long.  Maybe.  Other than that, no idea.

This drives me nuts. Usually happens when i'm driving. I'll see in my head a scene translate it into the perfect words, but by the time I can write it down I forget the words. Nothing ever comes close to those words either. It drives me out of my mind

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #380 on: January 26, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »
I wrote 1,300 words today, which means January's word count has officially surpassed December's word count.  By, well, 1,260 words.

Not bad considering I got to a bad start this month with 350 words the first day and not much better the subsequent four days.

munboy

« Reply #381 on: January 26, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »
Since I set my goal of 1300 words a day this year (475,000 words this year), I've been working on getting up earlier in the morning. That means 5:30 am instead of the usual 6:30. It's usually not that productive of a time for me, but it's getting better. I'm getting used to it...a little.

Between the little extra time in the morning and writing on my lunch break at work, the past 2 days I've hit my goal before the end of lunch! That means when I've carved out a little time in the evening, I've been going over my daily goal.

That also means that since Friday nights are movie nights for my family, I can actually watch one tonight without thinking about making sure I make my goal.

Side note, tonight is Fantastic Beasts and the whatever of whoever...the second one. Haven't seen it. Any good? I've heard mixed reviews from it's really good to "they're ruining the Harry Potter universe!"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2019, 03:03:22 AM »
2100 words last night. I needed a 'snippet' for a Facebook group, so jumped forward and wrote a scene that doesn't happen until later in the story. 

I don't do that very often, but this one was fun!  :smilie_zauber:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
I wrote 1,175 words today.  This is exciting stuff.  The characters went to the library.  :hehe

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
I wrote 1,075 words today.  The characters are still in the library.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2019, 07:14:57 AM »
I wrote 1,250 words today.  Two characters have gotten out of the library.

I'm over 30k words for the month so far, just 100 words short of 31k.  Even if I quit now, I'll exceed December's average daily word count.

How long are fantasy adventures supposed to be?  I'm at around 94k words now and not even close to the ending.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2019, 07:51:26 AM »
I wrote 1,250 words today.  Two characters have gotten out of the library.

I'm over 30k words for the month so far, just 100 words short of 31k.  Even if I quit now, I'll exceed December's average daily word count.

How long are fantasy adventures supposed to be?  I'm at around 94k words now and not even close to the ending.

I think a story should be as long as it needs to be. I have one at 4k words and one that will end up being over 200k.  You always have the option of releasing it as two or three books (even doing a pre-order) or keeping it all one book. 

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »
I barely wrote 50 words yesterday, but finished 1500 today.  Feeling a little better.  :tap

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2019, 10:23:38 AM »
I wrote 1,040 words today.

idontknowyet

« Reply #389 on: January 30, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »
I haven't written a word in days except 250 last Saturday. I really need to get my butt in gear.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #390 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:37 AM »
I haven't written a word in days except 250 last Saturday. I really need to get my butt in gear.

Yes, you do!  But we say it in a 'you rock, we know you can do this' type of way.   :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #391 on: January 30, 2019, 01:40:01 PM »
I think a story should be as long as it needs to be.

I agree but sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority on that.

Also, I guess there are reader expectations about such things too.  But it's always struck me as odd that certain books need to be this long or that long to be considered "proper" novels in specific genres.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #392 on: January 30, 2019, 01:44:38 PM »
I think a story should be as long as it needs to be.

I agree but sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority on that.

Also, I guess there are reader expectations about such things too.  But it's always struck me as odd that certain books need to be this long or that long to be considered "proper" novels in specific genres.

Dan, I used to worry about it...then I realized the story dictates how long it should be.  I'm not saying we should never edit or keep a story from wandering around too much, but some stories take longer to tell than others.  I keep telling myself to write the story as it wants to be told.  :cheers

ETA:  When I wrote my last story (the Christmas one) I knew it would be a novella.  I just didn't think I could keep people from guessing the 'twist' at the end if I made it too long. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:47:09 PM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »
I wrote 1,150 words today.  Well past all my goals for the month, I think.  And still one day to go.

Dan, I used to worry about it...then I realized the story dictates how long it should be.  I'm not saying we should never edit or keep a story from wandering around too much, but some stories take longer to tell than others.  I keep telling myself to write the story as it wants to be told.  :cheers

I don't worry too much about it.  I sometimes think too much consideration is given for story length over story quality.  I tend to think that if you read something and felt it was too short or too long, perhaps the quality wasn't there.

Of course, you do want them wanting for more, especially if you have a series, but an individual story should feel complete and satisfying regardless of length.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2019, 08:20:43 AM »
I wrote 1,410 words today.

That means I finished January with 34,500 words written which is an average of 1,112.9 words per day, an improvement of 269.67 words per day over December's daily average.  Also means I wrote 8,360 more words in January than in December.

My WIP is now at 97,675 words.  Bummer I couldn't have hit 100,000 this month.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2019, 08:37:25 AM »
I wrote 1,215 words today.  Ended a chapter on a cliffhanger.  You know it's going to go badly.  Next chapter will jump to different characters before resolving the cliffhanger in the subsequent chapter.

Marigold

« Reply #396 on: February 03, 2019, 05:31:29 AM »
After a frustrating few weeks of inactivity, I finally got my focus back and wrote 1,068 words today.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #397 on: February 03, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »
After a frustrating few weeks of inactivity, I finally got my focus back and wrote 1,068 words today.

Congrats!  That's great.  :goodpost:

The following users thanked this post: Marigold

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #398 on: February 03, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »
I wrote 1,610 words today which puts me over the 100k mark.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »
I wrote about 600 words yesterday and after finishing a lot of promotional stuff...hope to write at least 50 today!  :catrun