Author Topic: Is It Possible To Create a Square Ebook  (Read 330 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Is It Possible To Create a Square Ebook
« on: April 07, 2024, 01:45:17 AM »
I'm asking for a Substack friend of mine, not myself.

I'm not sure what the motivation is, but the author really wants the ebook to display as a square. I found software called Book Creator that will produce such a thing if desired, but it's for school use and doesn't seem especially well adapted for regular book production.

Any thoughts?

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Is It Possible To Create a Square Ebook
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 01:56:03 AM »
I'm not sure what the motivation is, but the author really wants the ebook to display as a square. I found software called Book Creator that will produce such a thing if desired, but it's for school use and doesn't seem especially well adapted for regular book production.

That doesn't make much sense.

A square cover is of course possible, since Audio covers are like that.

But square eBook inside? That really doesn't make much sense.

It would be relatively easy to do though. You just set up a custom square paper size inside Word, and set it the top of the document. It should then put a soft page feed when the square is used. Might be a bit more complicated than that, but should be possible. You'd have to use the right view though. And maybe put a hard page feed in before uploading.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt

Lynn

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 02:09:21 AM »
How ebooks are viewed is determined by the reader software. That's what would have to be made, not a square ebook. Even a square book cover is going to show up as a typical book cover with blank spaces above and below in a typical ebook reader.
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt, Post-Crisis D

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 02:32:15 AM »
That was my thinking as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 02:35:32 AM »
The positioning of page breaks would define a square page.

There might be a problem putting that into KU though.

But on a reader, it would just be 2/3 of a page showing, and then swipe.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 10:18:48 AM »
Is this for a book that's text or mostly images?

If the latter, they might need to look at Comic Book Creator (or something like that) that Amazon has for creating comic books.  I don't know if it has an option for a square eBook, but I would think it would allow for square panels which might be a possible compromise.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 12:18:55 AM »
It's all text, as far as I know, but thanks for the suggestion.

elleoco

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 03:59:35 AM »
My thought is this is a good way to get bad reviews and reduce sales.

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 05:37:39 AM »
I agree with elleoco.

That said, it's possible. But it's an absolute travesty to humanity. What you must due to achieve this is to create a fixed-layout book, which can be done for ebooks.
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GEGU359TQLKDJZZH
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GFFHCXVPHRZW8SJ5

This is an awful idea. You have to create fixed font sizes and embed your own fonts. It's a very bad reading experience, and directly goes against why some people buy eBooks over print. For a book that's mostly text, this will look like someone did an awful job of formatting. Fixed-layout books are meant for e.g. text on top of background images, e.g. a kid's book.

The process to do this is involved. I don't know that it would be possible to do in other tools like InDesign. But you can achieve this with hard coding your epub file. The main reason why this is technically possible, but logically infeasible, is that as far as I can tell, you have to manually specify every page break yourself by creating a new xhtml file. That means you'd have to go through every single page in your book with your fixed layout, and determine where you need page breaks so that the content stays within the square boundaries provided. Just insane.

But here's how you do it:

Add extra tags to your .opf file metadata section to indicate this is a fixed-layout book: (you will need to choose which orientation to use, and the size of the square)
Code: [Select]
<meta property="rendition:layout">prepaginated</meta>
<meta name="fixed-layout" content="true"/>
<meta name="orientation-lock" content="portrait"/>
<meta name="original-resolution" content="600x600"/>

Add styles to your "<head>" element of each XHTML file or in your CSS stylesheet
<style>
p {
font-size: 12px;
text-indent: 12px;
}
div.page {
height: 600px;
width: 600px;
position: relative;
}
div.content {
margin-left: 12px;
margin-right: 12px;
}
</style>

Add the necessary divs to your XHTML pages, e.g.
<body>
<div class="page">
<div class="content">
<p>Paragraph!</p>
</div>
</div>
</body>

I tested this in Kindle Previewer, but I'm by no means a professional formatter.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 08:29:55 AM »
I tried to gently suggest it might not be a great idea. I don't feel comfortable aggressively denouncing what another author is trying to do, particularly an author I don't know that well yet. I did point out that the experience might not be optimal for readers.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will pass it on and see what happens.

Matthew

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 09:20:06 AM »
I tried to gently suggest it might not be a great idea. I don't feel comfortable aggressively denouncing what another author is trying to do, particularly an author I don't know that well yet. I did point out that the experience might not be optimal for readers.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will pass it on and see what happens.
I hope you also toned down my outrage  grint I was a little over-the-top knowing it wasn't you personally.

I wanted to find a solution sort of as a challenge. There might be a better way to do it, though I couldn't find or think of anything better for now.

I've seen someone play around with formatting before, citing creative formatting as a choice to be part of artistic expression as a whole. It can become something more than a book, perhaps, in that way. But as a reader, I still prefer books be reflowable so I can choose my own settings. When it comes down to it, readers will decide. Either they will see the Look Inside and decide against purchasing or return it if they don't like what the author chose.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 09:33:44 AM »
KDP has an 8.25" x 8.25" under non-standard trim sizes. It's above the "self define" trim sizes, which also allows a square book within their sizes.  Looks like you could do a 6" x 6" and there might be others within their specifications. :)

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 11:20:08 AM »

Why do they want to do that?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 11:32:44 AM »
Another question is how the author plans to distribute the eBook.

If not through Amazon, a PDF might be an option.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 10:56:25 PM »

I don't know. She wants to match the paperback, but why wasn't really discussed.

The book just came out in paper. I suggested she'd reach a larger if she also had an ebook version. That's how I got into the whole square book conversation.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 11:07:25 PM »

I don't know. She wants to match the paperback, but why wasn't really discussed.

The book just came out in paper. I suggested she'd reach a larger if she also had an ebook version. That's how I got into the whole square book conversation.

:doh:

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 11:39:11 PM »
All right, I conveyed the technical stuff.

I think maybe I'm trying to push something on her she doesn't really want, anyway. She has a lot of subscribers on Substack, and I think the paperback was intended for existing fans on the platform to have all the stories in one place. (After all, that was Andy Weir's motivation for putting The Martian up on Amazon, though he did create an ebook from the beginning.)

The authors on Substack are an interesting mix. There are bestsellers  (NYT, USA Today, and London Times, among others) who are looking for an additional audience. There are big-name journalists there because of the shrinking job market in journalism. But there are also a fairly large number of authors whose only or primary writing experience is with Substack. That seems limiting to me--but some of them make far more than I do that way, so I'm in no position to criticize.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2024, 02:54:06 AM »
I think maybe I'm trying to push something on her she doesn't really want, anyway. She has a lot of subscribers on Substack, and I think the paperback was intended for existing fans on the platform to have all the stories in one place.

PDF may be an option for her.  I know people with Kindles and other eBook readers complain about PDFs but, outside of Kindle/eBook/author forums, I find that a lot of people are fine with a PDF.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 05:48:13 AM »
I think maybe I'm trying to push something on her she doesn't really want, anyway. She has a lot of subscribers on Substack, and I think the paperback was intended for existing fans on the platform to have all the stories in one place.

PDF may be an option for her.  I know people with Kindles and other eBook readers complain about PDFs but, outside of Kindle/eBook/author forums, I find that a lot of people are fine with a PDF.
I actually did suggest that. Much depends on what your objective is. PDF is much easier since that must be what her paperback interior file is. And it's fixed by definition. But distribution options are more limited. If she's really trying to increase sales on Amazon, that won't do it. But if she uses it as another reward for paid subscribers, that could be made to work.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 10:53:26 AM »
I know people with Kindles and other eBook readers complain about PDFs but, outside of Kindle/eBook/author forums, I find that a lot of people are fine with a PDF.

I read PDFs on my first-gen Kindle Fire all the time.  But I'm also an eccentric fellow who likes reading books from the 19th and 18th centuries, so...

(<--   Currently reading William Playfair's "decline and fall" book via PDF on the Kindle.)
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2024, 11:18:28 PM »
The last time I checked, the format was indeed available on sites that distribute public domain works. I recall being able to read those on my Kindle as well.

That said, there are some Kindle users, accustomed to being able to have more control over the way they view the document, who won't like PDFs.

To each, his own.