Author Topic: Limited Edition  (Read 1023 times)

Pyram King

Limited Edition
« on: February 12, 2020, 10:10:42 AM »
I was thinking (eventually) offering a leather-bound numbered limited edition. As a book collector, it is something I wanted to personally do.
Any thoughts, suggestions, experience?

Post-Crisis D

Re: Limited Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:58:09 AM »
If you have a large audience or dedicated fans, I would go for it.

I've long wanted to print my own first editions and do a limited run with numbered and autographed copies, but I don't have a large enough audience to support it.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

shadcallister

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 03:17:21 AM »
If your book is in a genre where fanboys/girls are looking for collectors' items (any sort of hardcover is pretty much a collector's item these days, especially a fancy limited run signed/numbered one with a special cover), then definitely consider Kickstarter to raise the funds for the printing. There are people that will pay hundreds of dollars for a special edition (sometimes of a book they haven't even read yet) just to have another cool item on their shelf.

twicebitten

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 01:51:28 AM »
With no offense intended, based on several of your recent questions, can I review the basics for you?

1) write a damned good book
2) then write another dozen or two dozen
3) smack dab in the middle of a genre
4) in series
5) Pro cover and proofreading, and upload the ebook
6) treat your fans well

And that's pretty much it. That's 80% of your income right there, with judicious/smart advertising providing the next 15%. Don't think about this other stuff. You are thinking about squeezing for the last 5% of income, and that's not where to put your energy at this early stage. Put it into the first 80%. Get books 2-6 done as fast as you can write good books and only then think about advertising first in series or loss leader novellas.

Trade publishing stuff aimed at the top .5% of their writers has no relationship to indie prawn publishing. Forget about all of it.

Go read written word media's yearly articles on what 100K indie writers do to make themselves solvent indies. Model your business practices on theirs.

The last Author Earnings check of seven-figure indies had them with total titles of: 162, 51, 78, 64, (etc) books. Think about those numbers.

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da, idontknowyet, Jessica