Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308888 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #900 on: August 19, 2019, 06:52:42 AM »
Wrote 105 words on Friday and 95 words on Saturday.  I'm at 105 words for today so far.  Only way I can even match last month's daily average is if I write 1,500+ words per day for the rest of this month.  That seems unlikely.

Had to make up for two lazy days so I wrote 2009 words this morning.

Ten words short of the year.  :shrug
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Maggie Ann

« Reply #901 on: August 19, 2019, 08:26:49 AM »
Wrote 105 words on Friday and 95 words on Saturday.  I'm at 105 words for today so far.  Only way I can even match last month's daily average is if I write 1,500+ words per day for the rest of this month.  That seems unlikely.

Had to make up for two lazy days so I wrote 2009 words this morning.

Ten words short of the year.  :shrug

Darn. I'd better go back and add in those words. Don't want to look lazier than I already am.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

diisha392

« Reply #902 on: August 19, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »
PS:  I passed the 40K mark.  :dance:

:clap:

1001 words today on a new piece that I hope will be the first novel in a trilogy.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #903 on: August 19, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
I really need to boost my daily word count.  If I use this month's daily word count average and apply that to all my WIPs with their target word counts, it would take me 44 years to finish writing all of them.  If I use my daily word count average for the year so far, it would take me just a little over 13 years to finish everything.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Maggie Ann

« Reply #904 on: August 19, 2019, 12:12:09 PM »
I really need to boost my daily word count.  If I use this month's daily word count average and apply that to all my WIPs with their target word counts, it would take me 44 years to finish writing all of them.  If I use my daily word count average for the year so far, it would take me just a little over 13 years to finish everything.

The longest novel starts with but a single press of a letter on the keyboard.

Just did 1110 more tonight. Working up to a very emotional reunion between mother and child. Of course, the mother is 89 and has Alzheimer's and the daughter is 71, but tears will definitely be shed.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Maggie Ann

« Reply #905 on: August 20, 2019, 10:46:51 AM »
Only 488 tonight. I'm on my laptop and not my AlphaSmart which always stifles my word count. Didn't quite get through the emotional reunion scene but I'm one paragraph away from it.

Also took another look at my historical and the actual events surrounding it. So far, it's not as bad as I imagined. I guess I just needed to step away from it for a bit. It's the second book in the series that I have serious doubts about even though I'm about 1/3 of the way through.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:51:01 AM by Maggie Ann »

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #906 on: August 20, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
I have survived the worst part of my move. Been too exhausted and sore to write most days. Did squeak in a few words here and there, I don't remember them all anymore since I didn't keep track.

But today I was sitting around a lot while work was getting done on the house (cleaning up a bad rat infestation, so much fun) so I actually did several solid hours of writing. 3581 words was a great chunk to catch up! I'm at 45k now so definitely halfway done, I planned this at 85k but I tend to write at least a little over, probably 90k in the first draft.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #907 on: August 20, 2019, 11:18:00 AM »
I have survived the worst part of my move. Been too exhausted and sore to write most days. Did squeak in a few words here and there, I don't remember them all anymore since I didn't keep track.

But today I was sitting around a lot while work was getting done on the house (cleaning up a bad rat infestation, so much fun) so I actually did several solid hours of writing. 3581 words was a great chunk to catch up! I'm at 45k now so definitely halfway done, I planned this at 85k but I tend to write at least a little over, probably 90k in the first draft.

Congrats on the move. Every time I move I swear I'm never going to move again but I can't seem to stay in the same house for more than ten or eleven years. It just works out that way.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Lynn

« Reply #908 on: August 20, 2019, 11:21:07 AM »

Now that you've put this idea in my head, I have to go figure out my own timeline and weep.  :icon_cry:
Don't rush me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #909 on: August 20, 2019, 11:28:43 AM »

Now that you've put this idea in my head, I have to go figure out my own timeline and weep.  :icon_cry:

At my age, I don't even want to think about how long it would take me to finish the two series I'm working on.

diisha392

« Reply #910 on: August 20, 2019, 12:03:32 PM »
First day of the new school year done and almost 200 creative words :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #911 on: August 20, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »

Our kids started a week ago. I can't believe how early they start. We used to start the day after Labor Day.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #912 on: August 21, 2019, 04:10:29 AM »

Our kids started a week ago. I can't believe how early they start. We used to start the day after Labor Day.

Probably a sneaky way to get us to adopt a year-round school year.  They just slowly tack on days until it is year-round.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #913 on: August 21, 2019, 04:14:00 AM »
Wrote 145 words yesterday.

So far today, I wrote 262 words before, ahem, falling asleep and ending up with a couple lines of gibberish.  And ants.  Yes, ants.  Some special symbol keyboard opened up and I had a series of numbers plus a line of ants.

On the plus side, at least I didn't (apparently) end up accidentally deleting large portions of text or accidentally open up a weeks-old draft and add to it instead of the current draft.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #914 on: August 21, 2019, 06:14:56 AM »

Probably a sneaky way to get us to adopt a year-round school year.  They just slowly tack on days until it is year-round.

Since we are no longer a farming economy, it makes sense to have school year round.

Wrote 145 words yesterday.

So far today, I wrote 262 words before, ahem, falling asleep and ending up with a couple lines of gibberish.  And ants.  Yes, ants.  Some special symbol keyboard opened up and I had a series of numbers plus a line of ants.

On the plus side, at least I didn't (apparently) end up accidentally deleting large portions of text or accidentally open up a weeks-old draft and add to it instead of the current draft.

Sounds like a win to me ... except for the ants, of course.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #915 on: August 21, 2019, 06:23:07 AM »
Since we are no longer a farming economy, it makes sense to have school year round.

If I recall, some teachers made the same or more money at their three-month summer jobs than they did the other nine months.

Plus, I think having three months off school is good.

In other news, my beta reader reported back that she's enjoying the book so far, so that's encouraging, even though she hasn't gotten to some of the darker stuff yet.  :worried:  Oh, we don't have an emoji for worried.  We have like five thumbs-up emojis but not a single worried emoji.  :confused:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #916 on: August 21, 2019, 06:29:27 AM »

If I recall, some teachers made the same or more money at their three-month summer jobs than they did the other nine months.

Plus, I think having three months off school is good.

I'm not thinking about the teachers or the kids. I'm thinking about the working parents who don't have three months off from work in the summer and have to worry about, and pay for, three months of child care.

In other news, my beta reader reported back that she's enjoying the book so far, so that's encouraging, even though she hasn't gotten to some of the darker stuff yet.  :worried:  Oh, we don't have an emoji for worried.  We have like five thumbs-up emojis but not a single worried emoji.  :confused:

Hmmm, our Tim must be an optimist.

UPS just pulled up and I don't have anything on order. How disappointing.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #917 on: August 21, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »

I know, right?  The FedEx truck stopped outside our door at the office earlier today, but then left.  It's like, don't tease us like that!

We should start one of those online petition things to demand delivery drivers NOT stop outside places they don't have a delivery for.  It's a form of mental torture.  :hehe

Maggie Ann

« Reply #918 on: August 21, 2019, 07:46:41 AM »

I know, right?  The FedEx truck stopped outside our door at the office earlier today, but then left.  It's like, don't tease us like that!

We should start one of those online petition things to demand delivery drivers NOT stop outside places they don't have a delivery for.  It's a form of mental torture.  :hehe

I think they enjoy it.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

diisha392

« Reply #919 on: August 21, 2019, 10:31:58 AM »
Word doc is only 57 words longer than it was at the end of yesterday but I deleted a segment and rewrote it to be stronger so I'm good with the low word count.

Now back to revising notes for the students.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #920 on: August 21, 2019, 11:46:46 AM »
1753 words today.

It would be nice if I never had to move again. I was in my last house for almost ten years, which is the longest I've ever lived in one place. The thing is that we accumulated a lot of things by staying in one place for so long. Two years ago, we knew we wanted to start saving up to move so we actually did a major house purge/reorganization because we knew moving would be painful with so much stuff. Even still, it was chaotic and disorganized and I'm still trying to figure out how to get the last few big things from the old place without renting another moving van. Wish I had a good friend with a pickup truck or something.

But if it's at least another ten years, I'll be happy. Maybe by then I can have a runaway bestseller, become a multimillionaire, and then I can hire professionals to do all the work when I move into my fabulous mansion. ;)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #921 on: August 21, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »
1753 words today.

It would be nice if I never had to move again. I was in my last house for almost ten years, which is the longest I've ever lived in one place. The thing is that we accumulated a lot of things by staying in one place for so long. Two years ago, we knew we wanted to start saving up to move so we actually did a major house purge/reorganization because we knew moving would be painful with so much stuff. Even still, it was chaotic and disorganized and I'm still trying to figure out how to get the last few big things from the old place without renting another moving van. Wish I had a good friend with a pickup truck or something.

But if it's at least another ten years, I'll be happy. Maybe by then I can have a runaway bestseller, become a multimillionaire, and then I can hire professionals to do all the work when I move into my fabulous mansion. ;)

Sounds like a plan!

1368 tonight and I'm up to 184 pages. I was hoping to hit 200 pages and it looks like that's in sight.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #922 on: August 22, 2019, 10:45:59 AM »
Wrote 425 words yesterday.  Two characters died.

No words written yet today.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #923 on: August 22, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »
Only 778 tonight but I'm headed for the big showdown.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #924 on: August 22, 2019, 12:20:23 PM »
3494 words today. I suppose I could have written six more words somewhere to make a round 3.5K but I reached the end of a scene.

Someone got shot but it's a cliffhanger to find out who it was. Dun-dun-DUUUUHHHHHN!

diisha392

« Reply #925 on: August 22, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »
Only 52 words today and I don't like most of them.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #926 on: August 23, 2019, 02:18:13 AM »
Only 95 words written yesterday.  :icon_cry:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #927 on: August 23, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
1268 tonight. That puts me at 45.5K words and 192 pages. I'm probably going to change part of what I wrote. I think I got the guy shot too soon. I'll see how it goes.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #928 on: August 23, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
1268 tonight. That puts me at 45.5K words and 192 pages. I'm probably going to change part of what I wrote. I think I got the guy shot too soon. I'll see how it goes.

Han shot first.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #929 on: August 23, 2019, 03:58:38 PM »
2342 or so words today, half of which were written in the car. Didn't get carsick this time.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #930 on: August 23, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
About a thousand words, all non-fiction.  I'm answering questions for an author interview.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #931 on: August 23, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »

Han shot first.

Darn right he did!!!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, Kristen.s.walker

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #932 on: August 24, 2019, 12:38:28 AM »
Only 105 words yesterday which broke my trend of not having the same word count duplicated in a month.  Now, do I go for a hat trick or stay with doubles?

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #933 on: August 24, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »
3693 words today.

Han shot first, and I should take that as a lesson not to revise things too much. Sometimes the first instinct is the best one.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #934 on: August 24, 2019, 11:35:57 AM »
3693 words today.

Han shot first, and I should take that as a lesson not to revise things too much. Sometimes the first instinct is the best one.

Boy, you're just barrelling right along. How many words are you up to now?

1412 tonight, bringing my word count to 46.8K and the page count to 198. I'll get a couple more pages out of the hostages being rescued, but for now, the bad guys have been taken into custody by the SWAT team using smoke grenades and a can of WD-40. Not standard equipment for a hostage situation, but they were in an old abandoned farmhouse and the hinges and knob were very likely rusty and squeaky. I thought it was a nice touch.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392, Kristen.s.walker

diisha392

« Reply #935 on: August 24, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
Word count has a gain of 102 words after I edited the ending of what I wrote yesterday before moving a tiny bit forward tonight.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #936 on: August 25, 2019, 11:42:23 AM »
1732 words tonight. I'm now up to 48.5K words and 204 pages.

I'm going to have my work cut out for me when I do the first edit. Used to type 90wpm net. I'm still pretty fast, but my accuracy is in the toilet. I may have to switch to Dragon. I'll see how bad it is.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #937 on: August 26, 2019, 01:36:57 AM »
1418 this morning. Just broke 50K and I'm up to 210 pages.

I'm sure the first draft will be done by the end of the week or even sooner.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #938 on: August 26, 2019, 03:04:28 AM »

Congrats!!!  :goodpost: :cheers

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

diisha392

« Reply #939 on: August 26, 2019, 11:18:14 AM »
207 words to sneak over the 2K mark in the newest piece.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #940 on: August 26, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »

Congrats!!!  :goodpost: :cheers

Thanks, Lori. I did a little celebrating myself tonight.

207 words to sneak over the 2K mark in the newest piece.

Sneak over ... leaping over ... it's all good.

Speaking of sneaking, I snuck in another 1238 words tonight. Now that I'm in the habit of writing when my alarm goes off at 8pm to take my meds, I can't seem to skip a night either. I'm under the Imperious Charm of my phone alarm.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #941 on: August 27, 2019, 02:26:23 AM »
Wrote 75 words on Friday, 160 on Saturday and 255 on Sunday.

diisha392

« Reply #942 on: August 27, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »

Speaking of sneaking, I snuck in another 1238 words tonight. Now that I'm in the habit of writing when my alarm goes off at 8pm to take my meds, I can't seem to skip a night either. I'm under the Imperious Charm of my phone alarm.

This is fantastic.
Both the extra words and the phone alarm's magic.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #943 on: August 27, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
1173 words tonight and I'm up to 220 pages. A lot of dialogue. I do so love writing dialogue.

diisha392

« Reply #944 on: August 27, 2019, 12:38:01 PM »
104 written, more ideas in my head.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #945 on: August 28, 2019, 04:45:44 AM »
3693 words today.

Boy, you're just barrelling right along. How many words are you up to now?

I am currently just over 58K. Planned 85K but as I may have mentioned, I tend to write over what I plan and then cut back in editing. I hoped to finish by the end of August but it looks like it won't happen at this rate. I have a lot of work to do at my old house this week before I hand the keys back to the landlord.

Wrote 2106 words yesterday between painting sessions. I have a hard cutoff for this book on September 20 for my editor, so my first draft+revisions have to happen before then. I will keep working when I can.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #946 on: August 28, 2019, 04:58:21 AM »
Wrote 515 words yesterday.  Around 300 so far today.  When I finish this and start to work on the next, I really need to go back to outlining.

1173 words tonight and I'm up to 220 pages. A lot of dialogue. I do so love writing dialogue.

I get more words down when there's dialogue.  I worry characters talk too much.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #947 on: August 28, 2019, 05:11:15 AM »
Wrote 515 words yesterday.  Around 300 so far today.  When I finish this and start to work on the next, I really need to go back to outlining.

I get more words down when there's dialogue.  I worry characters talk too much.

And I worry I do too much introspection.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #948 on: August 28, 2019, 09:20:51 AM »
670 words today!  Finally, back in the story.

Even better news, this is the last book in the series!!!  I will miss the characters but excited to move on to a new adventure.  :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #949 on: August 28, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
2450 words today, pushed me over 60K.