Author Topic: Covid-19. The Lighter Side  (Read 55420 times)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
Re: Covid-19. The Lighter Side
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2020, 01:50:50 AM »
Haven't tried this one - yet.  :icon_mrgreen:

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2020, 05:33:51 AM »
 Grin Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2020, 05:47:33 AM »
One for the pommies

JRTomlin

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2020, 05:47:59 AM »
We don't need more lockdown exercise videos. What we DO need is a DIY haircut video.  Grin

That's the best one yet.  :icon_rofl:
It's funny because it's the truth.

ETA: I was just for the first time ever forced to trim my own fringe. Came out better than expected.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 05:55:26 AM by JRTomlin »

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2020, 06:33:33 AM »
I finally got desperate enough to attack my hair with scissors. Didn't come out half bad. and no, I'm not brave enough to post a picture.

After yet another 'cut way too short' haircut a long time ago now, I stopped getting mine cut. I quickly worked out how to cut my own hair. It might not look like a layered cut, but it's ok, and I never did care about hair shape.

It helps if you have a mirror system which allows you to see both sides of your head reflected from another mirror. Mirror doors on cabinets are really good for getting the perspective better.

But once you figure it out, you wonder why we bought into the need for professional hairdressing in the first place. Especially when they never do it the way you ask them to.

With practice, you can get by with just the one bathroom mirror.  You can cut the back by feel.

I stopped paying for haircuts in 1997.  Been cutting it myself ever since.  I use clippers for the sides and scissors for the top.

Advice for y'all attempting this for the first time: Always cut off less than you think you should.  You can always go back and remove more hair, but you can't put that hair back on.  Better to make several passes that end up looking good than to make a single pass that butchers it.  The first few times you cut your own hair, it might seem like it's taking forever, but you will get faster with practice, I promise.  Also, stick a wadded-up half-square of toilet paper in each ear before you start.  If you don't, the little hair pieces will get in your ear and increase the wax buildup.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Eric Thomson

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2020, 08:45:33 AM »
 A clipper, set to #3. Run over the entire head.  Finish sides and back with clipper set to #2, then do the lower edges at #1.  Did my hair that way every  4 weeks until I retired from the army nine years ago.  This time around I'm going for the grizzly adams look.  Last haircut was late January.  I usually do my beard when I get a haircut.  Last beard trim was late January.  NHL players let it all grow during the Stanley Cup playoffs.  I consider this my Wuhan Plague Playoffs.

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »
China forked up again...
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

Maggie Ann

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2020, 09:26:02 AM »
A clipper, set to #3. Run over the entire head.  Finish sides and back with clipper set to #2, then do the lower edges at #1.  Did my hair that way every  4 weeks until I retired from the army nine years ago.  This time around I'm going for the grizzly adams look.  Last haircut was late January.  I usually do my beard when I get a haircut.  Last beard trim was late January.  NHL players let it all grow during the Stanley Cup playoffs.  I consider this my Wuhan Plague Playoffs.

My hair  is short, but not as short as it would be if I used clippers, even at number three. I just don't have the guts to try it.

LilyBLily

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2020, 09:42:56 AM »
I've cut my own and other people's hair in the past, but I never was particularly happy with the results and I hate being responsible for someone's bad haircut. The video above is not for curly hair, alas. grint

If I just take off an inch or so all around, I'll still look as if I had a professional haircut. I hope. Anyway, no one will see me, so who cares? :hehe

JRTomlin

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2020, 10:46:47 AM »
I've cut my own and other people's hair in the past, but I never was particularly happy with the results and I hate being responsible for someone's bad haircut. The video above is not for curly hair, alas. grint

If I just take off an inch or so all around, I'll still look as if I had a professional haircut. I hope. Anyway, no one will see me, so who cares? :hehe
I walk my dog so people see me at least from a distance. I'm not even touching the rest of my hair. I don't have nearly that much nerve. Better to just let it grow out if it comes to that. We're bound to be able to go back to stylists eventually, right?  :icon_think:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
Always cut off less than you think you should.  You can always go back and remove more hair, but you can't put that hair back on.

Well, you can. It just takes a month or so.  grint

A clipper, set to #3. Run over the entire head.  Finish sides and back with clipper set to #2, then do the lower edges at #1.

:haironfire
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2020, 01:51:55 PM »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

notthatamanda

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2020, 12:27:17 AM »

Yeah my husband hasn't shaved since he started working from home. Between the four of us we might get one haircut a year and the last one was pretty traumatic as the little one decided she wanted short hair, we donated it, but the next day she had major regrets. That was in October I think and she still mentions it almost daily.

Jeff - there is a Bobby Orr special coming out soon, I'll PM you when I find it if you are interested. His book was also really good.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2020, 12:40:50 AM »
 :doh:

The following users thanked this post: Laughing Elephant

cecilia_writer

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2020, 02:55:37 AM »
I completely agree re cutting your own hair, Timothy. I've been doing my own for years apart from getting my hair done for my son's wedding a few years ago, and even then I didn't think it was actually worth the money
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

JRTomlin

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2020, 04:11:02 AM »
We all have our own priorities. A good hairstylist is one of mine but I was talking to my daughter yesterday and we agreed... nope. Not any time soon. We are both letting our hair grow out though rather than putting scissors to it. I did cut my own hair when I was about four years old and shall we say that the results were not good.  grint

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2020, 05:44:41 AM »
Maybe swapping children for a while would suffice  Grin

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2020, 05:59:50 AM »
Jeff - there is a Bobby Orr special coming out soon, I'll PM you when I find it if you are interested.

Sure, that's cool.

Maybe swapping children for a while would suffice  Grin

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2020, 01:39:51 AM »
From FB.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2020, 01:48:36 AM »
Another thought from the fridge.  Grin

Maggie Ann

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2020, 07:21:56 AM »

Shawna

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
But once you figure it out, you wonder why we bought into the need for professional hairdressing in the first place. Especially when they never do it the way you ask them to.

I've never been able to find a stylist I wanted to go to consistently. There was one who did it great the first time, and each successive time got worse, even though I was *supposedly* getting the same thing. It was even harder to find someone who could consistently cut it well when I had a pixie cut, which was one of the big reasons that I never last long with a pixie cut before I give up and grow it out again.

The past couple years I've mostly been cutting my own hair. But it's a long and layered/messy style, so it's not that technical. As long as I don't hack at it so much I overdo it (which I did once), I'm usually fine.

LilyBLily

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
I've had a fair number of bad haircuts in my life. Once I was stuck away from home and needed a haircut and went to the nearest Hair Cuttery chain outpost. The result was presentable, but I kept thinking the cut reminded me of something. Finally I realized he had given me Bea Arthur's hairstyle. Only 30 years out of style.  Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2020, 07:37:58 PM »
we can't even buy alcohol in SA  :icon_sad:

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2020, 08:11:58 PM »
Hmmm. Stuck for words.  :blank:

notthatamanda

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2020, 09:29:36 PM »
I had a hair stylist (using the term loosely) at the chain we all call "Horrible Hacks" tell me it was difficult to cut one side of my head because she was right handed.

We had a great hair stylist for three decades but her crazy partying lifestyle finally caught up with her. (We saw it in the paper.) I had given up on her long before that because she couldn't keep her schedule and I didn't have two hours to spend getting a haircut.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2020, 10:13:11 PM »
I had a hair stylist (using the term loosely) at the chain we all call "Horrible Hacks" tell me it was difficult to cut one side of my head because she was right handed.

We had a great hair stylist for three decades but her crazy partying lifestyle finally caught up with her. (We saw it in the paper.) I had given up on her long before that because she couldn't keep her schedule and I didn't have two hours to spend getting a haircut.

I had a wonderful stylist. First she did exactly what I wanted. Then she gradually got me used to what I needed. I can't wait to get back to her.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2020, 01:37:07 AM »
Going to be a lot of fixing of DIY cuts  Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2020, 01:38:24 AM »
You gotta admire the imagination.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2020, 01:50:25 AM »

You know, being cardboard, that is probably more effective than most masks are.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2020, 01:53:56 AM »

But not very breathable, except for around the edges where droplets could also escape.  :icon_rolleyes:

I'm surprised that big companies haven't started making face masks with their logos on and giving them away free. (or have they?)

idontknowyet

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2020, 04:12:48 AM »

But not very breathable, except for around the edges where droplets could also escape.  :icon_rolleyes:

I'm surprised that big companies haven't started making face masks with their logos on and giving them away free. (or have they?)
nah they are selling them
https://www.shopdisney.com/face-masks/

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2020, 04:18:20 AM »

nah they are selling them
https://www.shopdisney.com/face-masks/

Glad they are donating some. The price looks rather high if I convert to SA Rands. I thought Coca Cola or similar would be handing them out free or at a cheap price.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2020, 04:19:29 AM »
Whatever works for you.  :icon_rolleyes:

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2020, 12:46:09 AM »
Read from left to right on both shelves.

VanessaC

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2020, 01:30:20 AM »
Whatever works for you.  :icon_rolleyes:

:icon_rofl:

I love the expression on the cashier's face. 

Genre: Fantasy

Maggie Ann

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2020, 03:01:19 AM »

I couldn't read the titles. Two small. So I copied the image onto a Word document and could read the titles just fine. It's very clever.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2020, 03:03:14 AM »

I couldn't read the titles. Two small. So I copied the image onto a Word document and could read the titles just fine. It's very clever.

Right click the image, and view image. It opens it at its true size.

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2020, 03:07:29 AM »
Not a bad idea, but you have to wear a mask as well as a shield because the mask protects other people.  Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2020, 03:08:43 AM »
another inspirational mask.  Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2020, 05:47:29 AM »
I wonder what the 2020 year books will look like?  Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2020, 05:48:36 AM »
Stuck for words

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2020, 05:50:12 AM »
You can always make a plan

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
I guess we all know now

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, VanessaC, spin52, Laughing Elephant

spin52

« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2020, 09:08:20 PM »
Thanks for giving us a laugh in such stressful times. My husband (no relation to you) has now taken to asking, "has Jan posted anything else yet?"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 04:24:41 AM by spin52 »

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2020, 01:51:46 AM »
Thanks for giving us a laugh in such stressful times. Mt husband (no relation to you) has now taken to asking, "has Jan posted anything else yet?"

grint  :Tup2: Got quite a few more stored in various places  Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2020, 01:53:41 AM »
Is this what they mean by horsing around?

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2020, 01:56:22 AM »
Hmmm, a double duty mask.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson