Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 109575 times)

PJ Post

Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2018, 03:48:57 AM »

A shallow-ish, yet engaging enough action thriller. Lots of pew pew and zoom zoom and boom boom. Strong gripping performances, although not as intense as the original.
:tup3b

Jesus! I have no idea how they even filmed some of these action sequences. One part John Wick, one part La Femme Nikita, and one part Kill Bill. Over the top amazing. It's a Korean film, so I'm sure some of the emotional depth is lost in translation (like Japanese horror), but it was still full up with story. For the anime style, super-action, how dark is dark? fan...

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

The Doctor

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2018, 03:56:05 AM »
A double-bill of The Lady in the Van, starring Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings, and The Limehouse Golem, starring Bill Nighy.

The latter,  an entertaining Victorian Gothic tale about a London serial killer in the years before Jack the Ripper.

I watched The Limehouse Golem yesterday.

Great storytelling. And Bill Nighy was awesome.

Rating: 8/10

The Limehouse Golem is currently on Hulu.

Fantastic!

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2018, 07:19:19 AM »
Been talking so much about Jack Black lately I pulled this one out of the DVD collection and ensconced myself in the bed covers.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Anarchist

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2018, 11:53:12 AM »
Watched this last night...

Rating: 9/10

Terrific direction with cinematography by the great Janusz Kamiński.

And that cast! I like Cruise, but Peter Stormare, Colin Farrell, Max von Sydow, and Samantha Morton?!

Yes, please, and thank you.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Watched this last night...

Terrific direction with cinematography by the great Janusz Kamiński.

And that cast! I like Cruise, but Peter Stormare, Colin Farrell, Max von Sydow, and Samantha Morton?!

Yes, please, and thank you.

I tried watching that once, but Ijust couldn't get into it.  Maybe I'll have to try again some time.

Oh... And Peter Stormare?

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Anarchist

« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »
Oh... And Peter Stormare?

Haha I love Stormare. He may have been the best part of Armageddon.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Jo

« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2018, 07:30:14 PM »
This was on TV yesterday and I discovered I like the original better than the series.

Jo

Anarchist

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2018, 12:31:08 AM »
I watched Disney's Tarzan yesterday.

A terrific story supported by brilliant animation.

Tarzan is currently on Netflix.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2018, 12:52:22 AM »
I watched Disney's Tarzan yesterday.

A terrific story supported by brilliant animation.

Tarzan is currently on Netflix.

Love that movie. Thanks. I'll be watching it tonight.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »
I watched a brief clip from a movie I haven't seen since I was a kid.  It includes a scene that scared my young self and lingered in my nightmares.  And it was a Disney movie!   :icon_eek:  I'm talking about when Maximilian the robot kills Durant in The Black Hole.

The idea of those spinning blades chopping me up was something I couldn't get out of my head.

Anarchist

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2018, 11:14:22 PM »
I watched this last night...

In some ways, it's better than its predecessor (28 Days Later).

28 Weeks Later is on Hulu through October 31st.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Rosie Scott

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »

Jesus! I have no idea how they even filmed some of these action sequences. One part John Wick, one part La Femme Nikita, and one part Kill Bill. Over the top amazing. It's a Korean film, so I'm sure some of the emotional depth is lost in translation (like Japanese horror), but it was still full up with story. For the anime style, super-action, how dark is dark? fan...

Thank you so much for posting this. This movie looks amazing. One review on IMDB says it will appease fans of The Raid and The Raid 2. Have you seen those? The karambit fight and baseball bat assassin from The Raid 2 were just... *shivers* I've found myself gravitating toward foreign action films in recent years because the actions scenes tend to be bloodier, intense, and well-shot.

Speaking of The Raid and the always amazing Iko Uwais, I recently saw Man of Tai Chi on Netflix (Iko had a cameo) and loved it enough to buy it although I only own about a dozen movies. It's the directorial debut of Keanu Reeves. Lots of intense fighting scenes, surprisingly good music, and a glorious mix of fighting styles. I watched it again with my husband to introduce him to martial arts films one small step at a time; I'm trying to get him into them.  :icon_mrgreen:

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2018, 12:26:39 PM »
Actually, I am almost ashamed to admit that I watched, for the very first time last night, The Big Lebowski.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Becca Mills

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2018, 02:32:19 AM »
Actually, I am almost ashamed to admit that I watched, for the very first time last night, The Big Lebowski.

Over the next few months, you will come to realize that 2.7% modern life = references to that one film. That's just, like, my opinion man.  :icon_mrgreen:
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Anarchist

Tom Wood

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2018, 02:55:55 AM »
That's just, like, my opinion man.  :icon_mrgreen:

:roll:

The following users thanked this post: Becca Mills

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2018, 02:59:41 AM »
I wasn't feeling well Saturday, when my husband turned on So I Married an Axe Murderer.  We both have always loved the movie, and watch it every time it's on.  It still makes me laugh, and it did help me feel better.

8/10

One of these days, I'm going to watch The Big Lebowski.  One of these days...

Anarchist

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »
I wasn't feeling well Saturday, when my husband turned on So I Married an Axe Murderer.  We both have always loved the movie, and watch it every time it's on.  It still makes me laugh, and it did help me feel better.

8/10

That movie's hilarious. An example for those who haven't seen it...

spin52

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2018, 04:01:04 AM »
I just saw 'Ocean's Eight' because I'm a sucker for caper movies and I thought it would be fun to see an all-female version of the earlier films. Also because I was on a nine-hour flight, which is about the only time I can sit through an entire movie. And, I figured anything with Cate Blanchett couldn't be bad. So ... 7/10, I'd say. It wasn't as good as the Brad Pitt/George Clooney 'Ocean's Eleven', but better than the original Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin film, which I've never liked. Some genuinely funny moments and I loved the skateboarding pickpocket. Also very instructive if you plan on shoplifting from a high-rent store or conning your way into a free posh hotel room.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »

Over the next few months, you will come to realize that 2.7% modern life = references to that one film. That's just, like, my opinion man.  :icon_mrgreen:

:clap:

The following users thanked this post: Becca Mills

Anarchist

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
I watched this a few days ago...

Great story and terrific effects. I was mesmerized. At 2 hours and 42 minutes, it flew by.

Rating: 9/10.

Avatar is on HBO through Oct. 31.

PJ Post

« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
I watched this a few days ago...

Great story and terrific effects. I was mesmerized. At 2 hours and 42 minutes, it flew by.

Rating: 9/10.

Avatar is on HBO through Oct. 31.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

Maggie Ann

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2018, 02:04:53 AM »
Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. Since I seem to be on a Jane Austen kick, I think I'll try to find a good version of Emma next.

The following users thanked this post: Jo

Robin

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2018, 03:25:14 AM »
I watched Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil on Netflix last night, it was really good. It might not look it, but its actually quite funny in a dark way. Nice ending and very nicely made.

PJ Post

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2018, 03:33:39 AM »
Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. Since I seem to be on a Jane Austen kick, I think I'll try to find a good version of Emma next.

Becca Mills

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2018, 03:56:49 AM »

Seconding! A terrific adaptation. :)
Recently Read ...

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2018, 04:24:50 AM »
Watched this again last night. They just don't make great movies like this anymore.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2018, 05:25:44 AM »

Then there's Bride and Prejudice. Love Bollywood!

Anarchist

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2018, 05:32:52 AM »
I recently watched this film...

Great story. And it's nice to see Harrison Ford without the damn earring.

Side note: Lukas Haas really was a cute kid!

Witness is on Amazon Prime through Oct. 31.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
I recently watched this film...

Great story. And it's nice to see Harrison Ford without the damn earring.

Side note: Lukas Haas really was a cute kid!

Love that movie. I'll have to watch it tomorrow. Or maybe even tonight. HF is one of my favorite actors, ever since he wasn't a scruffy looking nerf-herder.

Anarchist

« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2018, 10:47:27 AM »

Love that movie. I'll have to watch it tomorrow. Or maybe even tonight. HF is one of my favorite actors, ever since he wasn't a scruffy looking nerf-herder.

See if you can spot an actor who became a A-lister years later. This person is essentially an extra in Witness.  Grin

Maggie Ann

« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »

See if you can spot an actor who became a A-lister years later. This person is essentially an extra in Witness.  Grin

Okay ... fun!

Anarchist

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2018, 05:05:33 AM »
Saw this last night...

Great cast, terrific dialogue, and a surprising arc.

It's directed by Jason Reitman and written by Diablo Cody, a potent duo. And in my opinion, Charlize Theron proves (again) why she's one of the best actors on the map.

Young Adult is currently on Hulu.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2018, 01:18:50 AM »

I'm much better at identifying actors by their voices than by their faces. Faces can change especially when the face you're most familiar with is covered in 2-3 days of beard surrounded by scraggly hair.

First thought I recognized him at the barn raising sitting next to Alexander Goudonov. Didn't know who he was at that point but there was something about his expressions. Then at the ice cream incident, he was only on for a few seconds but sometimes a quick flash is better to prod memory. Aragorn!

Surprisingly, he was named in the credits.

I might never have known if you hadn't said something but then once someone seems familiar I have to track them down. I'm not always right but I have to try.

Anarchist

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2018, 03:04:48 AM »

I'm much better at identifying actors by their voices than by their faces. Faces can change especially when the face you're most familiar with is covered in 2-3 days of beard surrounded by scraggly hair.

First thought I recognized him at the barn raising sitting next to Alexander Goudonov. Didn't know who he was at that point but there was something about his expressions. Then at the ice cream incident, he was only on for a few seconds but sometimes a quick flash is better to prod memory. Aragorn!

I might never have known if you hadn't said something but then once someone seems familiar I have to track them down. I'm not always right but I have to try.

You nailed it!

It's a little surreal, right? Kinda like watching Mystic Pizza ("Whoa! Is that Matt Damon?!")   Grin

The Doctor

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2018, 03:27:08 AM »
Watched Drop Dead Fred on Netflix.

Ah, Rik Mayall...

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2018, 04:44:38 AM »

You nailed it!

It's a little surreal, right? Kinda like watching Mystic Pizza ("Whoa! Is that Matt Damon?!")   Grin

Especially when they look so young.

I'll take your word for Matt Damon. No, not really. I'll at least go to the IMDB page and look at the photos.

I love this game.  :banana:

Matt Damon - Mystic Pizza

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:57:19 AM by Maggie Ann »

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »

Gary Oldman is one of those, as Mary Steenburgen said. That man has had so many looks over the years it's hard to figure him out sometimes. He is one actor I can watch all the time. Of course, in some roles he plays the kind of guy you could hang out with and then the very next role he plays someone you don't even want to be on the same planet with.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »
You forgot the most important Gary Oldman role.

Anarchist

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »

And we shouldn't forget Elvis totin' a boom stick.

Becca Mills

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
Also not to be forgotten ...

Recently Read ...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
In the spirit of Halloween...

Becca Mills

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
Hey, look what I found!

Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, Jo

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »

I had a list of about ten different photos of Gary lined up, but then thought Tim would ban me for life if I posted it.   grint

And, not to disagree with your assessment of Mr. Oldman's best role, but I do have to disagree.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2018, 09:33:58 PM »

I had a list of about ten different photos of Gary lined up, but then thought Tim would ban me for life if I posted it.   grint

And, not to disagree with your assessment of Mr. Oldman's best role, but I do have to disagree.

I didn't say best. I said most important. It was the third movie which Cuaron totally ruined. Oldman was one of the few (very few) saving graces of that movie.

Anarchist

« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2018, 11:19:19 PM »
It was a twofer yesterday. In the afternoon...

Movies from 60+ years ago feel different. The narrative structure is (usually) less complex, the acting is (usually) inferior to today's standards, and the camerawork is (usually) uninspiring.

That said, I really liked High Noon. It had great pacing and solid work by Gary Cooper.

In the evening...

Solid story, terrific cast, and eye-popping special effects. And great backstory on the aliens and engineers.

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for the Alien movies. Discount my rating accordingly.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:33:56 PM by Anarchist »

YouMeWe

« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »
The Book of Eli.

The only movie I've ever watched twice. It's the twist, folks, the twist!
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

Anarchist

« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
The Book of Eli.

That movie has taken some flak. But I dug it.

It's post-apoc w/ Denzel. What's not to like?  Grin

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »
Latest movie I saw was Häxan.  Very interesting.  Silly in places, but interesting from a historical perspective.

YouMeWe

« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
The Book of Eli.

That movie has taken some flak. But I dug it.

It's post-apoc w/ Denzel. What's not to like?  Grin

I know, right?

I thought it was great, but the twist made it brilliant. Didn't see it coming. Sent me spinning right back to the start to watch it all over again with fresh eyes.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

PJ Post

« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2018, 02:29:42 AM »

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for the Alien movies. Discount my rating accordingly.

I still haven't forgiven the franchise for killing off Newt, Hicks and even Bishop. I get the reasoning for the future of the franchise, but it negates the whole ending of Aliens..and A3 wasn't worth the sacrifice. I think the reboot stuff is okay, some neat ideas but not enough to hang my hat on as it were. I like deep movies but these are working way too hard to be thinky. And Aliens is one of my all time favorite movies, so...heavy heart and all that. I liked the first AvP better.   grint

I've seen Book of Eli a few times...it's got Data in it. It reminds me of The Professional for some reason. Both are entertaining.

___

I watched this last night:

Great cast. Great concept, even if it felt somewhat borrowed from John Wick. But it threw too much into the soup in search of drama and never found a through-line for the story. It was fun-ish, but the missed opportunity was frustrating. I give it a 5. Watchable - but I'd wait for it to be free.

___

+1 for Witness and The Majestic.   :littleclap