Author Topic: Amazon Changed Search Algorithm in Ways That Boost Its Own Products  (Read 1468 times)

APP

I was perusing the Passive Guy's blog a little while ago when I came across this posting:

https://www.thepassivevoice.com/amazon-changed-search-algorithm-in-ways-that-boost-its-own-products/

It's not good news, but I don't think any of us will be surprised by it. At least I wasn't.

I followed the link in the blog to the Wall Street Journal and the article was not yet behind a paywall (of course that may change at any moment). Nonetheless, PG's blog talks about what the article says and means.

Here's the link to the WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-changed-search-algorithm-in-ways-that-boost-its-own-products-11568645345?shareToken=st02d78da7b53a48c1bf4c8580d7bb1df9

Arches

Re: Amazon Changed Search Algorithm in Ways That Boost Its Own Products
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 02:04:34 AM »
Passive Guy is usually sympathetic to Amazon, but he's sees this news as a disaster in the making. I tend to agree, mostly because it undermines the public's faith in Amazon's ranking systems. That faith is the foundation for the retail store's success. It used to be that Amazon was the sole source available for lots of obscure products, including some books, but that's not true anymore. There are plenty of alternatives for consumers today.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 03:31:31 AM »
Passive Guy is usually sympathetic to Amazon, but he's sees this news as a disaster in the making. I tend to agree, mostly because it undermines the public's faith in Amazon's ranking systems.

The public has faith in Amazon's ranking systems?

I lost mine long ago when they started stuffing the search results with millions of 'sponsored' products. It's one of the reasons I rarely buy there any more; I just can't find the things I want without hunting through all that 'sponsored' crap first.

WasAnn

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
I don't think it was so much faith in their ranking systems, as a fundamental understanding from customers (including me) that when I searched for something on there....let's say a laundry bin for the closet...that what would show up would be what best matched what I asked it to search for based on all the other people like me who searched for laundry baskets that would fit in the bathroom closet.

The results might be out to lunch, but it will reflect what other people who searched for what I searched for wound up buying after a thousand iterations of this process.

Now, when I search, I can't trust that. I will have to carefully evaluate those results to see if what I'm really looking for is somewhere on page four because the ones on page 1 through 3 give Amazon 2 cents more per transaction.

That's the thing. As a prime member since 2001 who has bought literally thousands of things...embarrassing, yes...I've always had faith that the "wisdom of the crowd" was what the algos used, not the profit margin. I'm shifting my purchase as much elsewhere as I can now.

Science Fiction is my game.

The following users thanked this post: Edward M. Grant