Author Topic: Dumb questions about smartphones  (Read 823 times)

Vidya

Dumb questions about smartphones
« on: April 15, 2020, 07:05:01 PM »

I’m new to cellphones, so please bear with me.

1. If I want to connect to someone in the US with Whatsapp, do I first have to give them my number so they can add it to their address book, and only then can I call them?

2. I read that if someone outside India wants to connect to India, they have to add +91 [which is the country code for India], but they also have to add the area code of the city in India. Is that not the case?

So the number should actually be +91, then the city code, with any preceding zero removed, THEN the actual smartphone number.

But someone told me you don't need any city code. Don't you have to add a city code? Just the +91 and then the mobile number is correct?

3. what’s the best way to make a free videocall to the US? Someone told me when he made a videocall with Whatsapp once, the sound quality was very poor. Maybe because he has a cheap phone.

4. Though Whatsapp is technically free, I suppose since a videocall uses bandwidth, a long videocall could end up costing you a lot?

5. once I take pics with the phone, how can I store them in any file or folder? I see nowhere on the phone that offers any folder to store them in.

Thank you!

cecilia_writer

Re: Dumb questions about smartphones
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 02:41:58 AM »
I am not very good with any kind of phone (though I am really glad I got a new smartphone at the start of the covid crisis as it has enabled me to use some apps for the first time). However I was quite surprised one day recently when I suddenly got a message on Facebook messenger to say my son wanted a video call. All I had to do was click 'ok' (or maybe it was 'yes') and there he was on the screen with my 18 month old grandson. It worked very well. I had thought messenger was only for text messages before that. I think quite a few of these meeting/messaging things will do audio and video calls too. I've used MS Teams like that too.
One of the family has a Whats App group that I go into sometimes but we only sent text messages and pictures that way.

You are probably right about the bandwidth but it hasn't been a problem to us yet.
I seem to have a picture storage place on my phone but I believe it's somehow linked to Google.
My old phone had a 'gallery' section where it stored them.

Sorry I can't answer the phone number questions - a mystery to me too!
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery