Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 85587 times)

Anarchist

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2020, 04:07:29 AM »
The West Wing and it's terrific! It's streaming on Netflix. Some of the best writing & dialogue I've ever seen in a TV show. 🎉👏
Though I'm going to stop at the end of season 4 because that's when Sorkin stops writing it & from what I've read it goes to pot after that. Apparently, it goes from a character-driven show with a compelling moral dimension to a plot-driven show that drags the characters along which would definitely tank it's appeal. Fortunately, I've got a long way to go still.

I usually watch The West Wing once a year. Fabulous show.

I feel similarly about The West Wing. It really was something special, bringing together solid writing, good directing, and a great cast.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2020, 04:34:10 AM »
I've been watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise.  H&I runs a Star Trek block every night.  I'm usually not home early enough to watch Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation.  Sometimes, I don't even get to see DS9.  I usually watch those unless a new episode of something else I watch is on at the same time.

DS9 is currently at the point where Michael Dorn joined the cast as Worf which is season 4.  So, hopefully the network doesn't change their schedule before I get to see seasons 6 and 7, which, aside from the final episode I saw part of, I never got to see during the original run.  (The local station that carried it dropped it after season 5.  Reportedly, the program manager thought that was funny.  I avoided watching that station as much as possible since then.  Ironically, H&I is on one of their digital stations, so now twenty-some years later, they are showing the last two seasons.  Unless, of course, they make a programming change before those episodes air, in which case, that station will be dead to me.)

I enjoy Voyager too.  I know some fans didn't like it, but I thought it was mostly good.  Uneven writing sometimes, especially for Janeway.  Just seems sometimes she's written for the sake of driving the plot and not acting like she normally would.  On the plus side, at least they didn't needlessly redesign the Klingons or have a mushroom drive or whatever.

I really wish Star Trek: Enterprise had gotten three more seasons.  The temporal cold war wasn't all that bad, but wasn't necessary.  They should have been building up to the Earth-Romulan War and the founding of the Federation.  If the temporal cold war had tied into that better, it might have worked better.  Same goes for the Xindi story arc.  If the Romulans had been manipulating the Xindi, I think that would have tied into canon better.  As it is, it's like why were the Xindi never mentioned in the series that take place in the future?  Granted, we know the real world answer, but in the Trek universe, it doesn't fully make sense.  There are probably multiple times when the Xindi attack might have warranted a mention.  But, if it had been the Romulans manipulating the Xindi instead of the Sphere Builders, well, then it would make sense because, in the future, everyone would know the Romulans were at fault.  Plus, the Romulans have a history of manipulating other races, so having them do the same to the Xindi to use them as a proxy to attack Earth would make sense.  And if Future Guy was a Romulan, as some fan theories suggested, then he could have been manipulating the Suliban and the Xindi.  Instead, they added the Sphere Builders.  At any rate, the fourth season is when I finally started to get on track, but then it was cancelled.  Bummer is that they were planning to have Shran as a regular in the fifth season.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2020, 07:03:10 AM »
Bummer is that they were planning to have Shran as a regular in the fifth season.

Jeffrey Combs makes everything better.

Unless you're his son, in which case he'll turn you into a mutant Hammerhead shark.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2020, 07:21:14 AM »

Unless you're his son, in which case he'll turn you into a mutant Hammerhead shark.

That thought reminded me of Brad Dourif who has played a number of crazed killers in different scifi shows (The X-Files, Babylon 5, Star Trek: Voyager, etc.) mainly because he has a daughter, Fiona Dourif, who played a crazed assassin in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Lynn

« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2020, 07:21:24 AM »
Glow Up.

Gotta say, for a few episodes there at the end I started to think the competition was rigged.

:D

The show was lame in places, but some of the art these people created on their faces was truly fascinating.
Don't rush me.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #355 on: March 04, 2020, 08:28:13 AM »
I'm one of the ones who loved Voyager.  Never could get into DS9.  I was so disappointed when Enterprise was cancelled.  I even wrote a letter begging them to bring it back.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #356 on: March 04, 2020, 08:47:44 AM »

That thought reminded me of Brad Dourif who has played a number of crazed killers in different scifi shows (The X-Files, Babylon 5, Star Trek: Voyager, etc.) mainly because he has a daughter, Fiona Dourif, who played a crazed assassin in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

Brad Dourif is awesome.

I'm one of the ones who loved Voyager.  Never could get into DS9.  I was so disappointed when Enterprise was cancelled.  I even wrote a letter begging them to bring it back.

I've never seen DS9, but it's on my to-do list.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2020, 01:58:00 AM »

He was almost the original Doctor Strange:

According to Wikipedia, the film company had the rights to Doctor Strange, but they expired before they could produce the film and they didn't want to waste the script, so . . .

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #358 on: March 05, 2020, 08:36:18 AM »
I had to Google Dr. Strange.  I've never been into comic books, so I'm only familiar with the most famous of comic book characters.

That trailer, though, looks pretty awesome, early-1990s-era cheesiness notwithstanding.

And I knew I recognized Brian Thompson.  (I checked Wiki to be sure.)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #359 on: March 05, 2020, 08:39:37 AM »
And I knew I recognized Brian Thompson.  (I checked Wiki to be sure.)

The X-Files and Star Trek: Enterprise are where I mostly remember him from, though he's been in lots of stuff.

Shoe

« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2020, 08:04:35 AM »
I keep reading "The Expanse" is binge-worthy. Really? I'm up to episode three and am not getting the appeal. The characters have the depth of cardboard cut-outs. Or am I missing something?
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Lynn

« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2020, 08:16:10 AM »
Don't know, but same here. Episode 4 or 5 was as far as I made it in The Expanse.
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #362 on: March 07, 2020, 08:53:23 AM »
I never started with The Expanse.  Being on Syfy, I figured that if I liked it, they'd end up cancelling it, likely leaving it on a cliffhanger.  I have learned that lesson too many times.  Of course, they did end up cancelling it, but then Amazon picked it up, but on Amazon Prime and I'm not a Prime subscriber.  So . . .

Thankfully, there's H&I and Comet.  I don't even bother watching Syfy anymore.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #363 on: March 08, 2020, 06:34:49 AM »
Agatha Raisin! It's like Miss Marple meets Absolutely Fabulous. LOL

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Shoe

« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2020, 12:14:52 PM »
Ozark is shaping up to be the new Breaking Bad. Bummed I finished the latest season.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Lynn

« Reply #365 on: April 04, 2020, 03:32:58 PM »
Roswell New Mexico

It's turning out to be really fun. :)
Don't rush me.

j tanner

« Reply #366 on: April 04, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »
I keep reading "The Expanse" is binge-worthy. Really? I'm up to episode three and am not getting the appeal. The characters have the depth of cardboard cut-outs. Or am I missing something?

Even Amos, Alex and Avasarala? I don't think they're quite who you think they are.

I agree Holden and Miller are a little stock, particularly early on, but I like the supporting cast a lot. Particularly the belters who might not have show up yet for you. (You go, Drummer!)

But this is a hard SF show, and the primary appeal for me was the execution of that grounded story, and the GoTish politics of the three main factions.

j tanner

« Reply #367 on: April 04, 2020, 05:03:38 PM »
I finished Mr. Robot. Season 4 started strong with a string of innovative episodes. The 3 episode denouement to end the series left me a little cold in comparison to the highs it reached earlier in the season.

All in all, a strong show, but maybe a challenge for some. It messes with the viewer and that's not everyone's cup.

Anarchist

« Reply #368 on: April 05, 2020, 12:31:06 AM »
Rewatching Deadwood.

Great show with terrific storytelling and fantastic character arcs.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

kenle

« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2020, 04:07:28 PM »
Roswell New Mexico

It's turning out to be really fun. :)

I watched this one to do some research. You're right it wasn't bad actually.

Perhaps not as good as the original from many years ago.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #370 on: May 20, 2020, 07:41:38 PM »
The Stranger, a 12-part serial from 1964 which was recently discovered in the Australian national archives, cleaned up and posted to Youtube.

It's very Doctor Who.

The following users thanked this post: kenle

kenle

« Reply #371 on: May 20, 2020, 09:09:57 PM »
The Stranger, a 12-part serial from 1964 which was recently discovered in the Australian national archives, cleaned up and posted to Youtube.

It's very Doctor Who.

Definitely one add to my list in that case...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2020, 01:41:07 AM »
the Carol Burnett show, season one. She's always good for a laugh.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2020, 02:55:00 AM »
We've had a new Van der Valk adaptation and repeats of a short Maigret series starring Rowan Atkinson here in the past few weeks - both excellent.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Anarchist

« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2020, 10:17:37 AM »
Just finished watching Deadwood on HBO (for the third time). I'm gearing up for Deadwood: The Movie.

kenle

« Reply #375 on: May 21, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »
Oh this is a good one I've put off for too long...

Didn't know there was a movie. Good time for me jump on this!

VanessaC

« Reply #376 on: May 21, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
We've had a new Van der Valk adaptation and repeats of a short Maigret series starring Rowan Atkinson here in the past few weeks - both excellent.

I loved the Maigret, t00 - beautifully done.

Recently watched Homecoming, which I quite liked - quirky and very watchable - and then Picard on Amazon Prime. Picard was interesting for a darker take on the Star Trek universe - people actually had proper arguments and swore.

Genre: Fantasy

Vijaya

« Reply #377 on: May 22, 2020, 01:44:03 AM »
Outer banks! It's actually filmed in and around Charleston  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

The following users thanked this post: Serrano16

kenle

« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »
Just started watching a new series based on the film Snowpiercer.

Too soon to say, but here's hoping.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #379 on: May 24, 2020, 12:31:37 AM »
Just started watching a new series based on the film Snowpiercer.

Too soon to say, but here's hoping.

The film was awesome. I'm cautiously optimistic about the series.

Betty Blast

« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2020, 02:17:43 AM »
I'm thinking about trying Snowpiercer too. I just started The Order, it's about a magical secret society.

Serrano16

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »
 :mhk9U91:Watching the six-part series (one per week, on Sunday nights) of "I'll Be Gone In the Dark" on HBO. This is a docu-series of Michelle McNamara's long treatise about the Golden State Killer--true crime. Well done. A lot about her odyssey. Her book was published after her death by her husband Patton Oswald. They've shown three parts so far. What I am most curious about is what motivated the real person to do all this carnage. Her book did not directly lead to his apprehension...he was arrested and charged via genetic mapping. Still, it is a very interesting series.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #382 on: September 10, 2020, 09:23:50 AM »
I watched a couple of episodes of The Dick Cavett Show on YouTube.  This one with Orson Welles is pretty interesting.  There's a funny bit at the end, so make sure you watch the whole thing.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #383 on: September 10, 2020, 09:58:55 AM »
The Blacklist. I'm just jonesing for an excuse to inject a Raymond Reddington type of character into one of my stories.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #384 on: September 10, 2020, 10:12:00 AM »
The Blacklist. I'm just jonesing for an excuse to inject a Raymond Reddington type of character into one of my stories.

Funny you should say that.  After watching that Orson Welles vid, I started thinking, "Man, I really need to have a character that talks like him in one of my books."  I think I've got just the character in mind, too.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #385 on: September 10, 2020, 11:02:07 AM »
Peak Practice on Amazon prime. It's about three doctors who practice together in Derbyshire UK. Not very well written, but it passes the time.

j tanner

« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2020, 11:44:54 AM »
The Boys are back on Amazon. Not for everyone, but season 2 appears to be a strong continuation of the "what if the Justice League were horrible people" themes.

Anarchist

« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2020, 12:26:29 PM »
Just finished American Horror Story: 1984 (season 9). It's pretty good. Some AHS seasons are great (e.g. seasons 1 and 2). Some are not (e.g. seasons 6 and 8). Season 10 is right in the middle.

Finished Archer season 10 tonight. Funny stuff, particularly when compared to season 9.

Was watching You're the Worst. I abandoned it in the middle of season 3. Couldn't stand the characters. In the show's defense, the title says it all. Those characters are the worst.

Recently watched season 1 of The Terror. Wonderful season. Can't wait to watch season 2.

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »
The Boys are back on Amazon. Not for everyone, but season 2 appears to be a strong continuation of the "what if the Justice League were horrible people" themes.

It's a great show.👍 Twisted as fork but entertaining. They're all supervillains sold to the public as superheroes -- except Starlight, the lone super who still holds to the idealism of a proper superhero. Kinda suspect it's a fair parallel to celebrity culture generally.
But Hughie... had some good moments late in season 1 but in season 2... 🤬 How is it possible a guy can be such an annoying, whiny, self-absorbed douche that he makes the psychopathic megalomaniac Homelander seem likable by comparison? A super needs to zap, splat, or otherwise end Hughie! Either that or maybe give him some supe level T-replacement therapy. He's a soytifa waiting to happen.
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

j tanner

« Reply #389 on: September 11, 2020, 03:46:05 AM »
It's a great show.👍 Twisted as fork but entertaining. They're all supervillains sold to the public as superheroes -- except Starlight, the lone super who still holds to the idealism of a proper superhero. Kinda suspect it's a fair parallel to celebrity culture generally.
But Hughie... had some good moments late in season 1 but in season 2... 🤬 How is it possible a guy can be such an annoying, whiny, self-absorbed douche that he makes the psychopathic megalomaniac Homelander seem likable by comparison? A super needs to zap, splat, or otherwise end Hughie! Either that or maybe give him some supe level T-replacement therapy. He's a soytifa waiting to happen.

He was the audience surrogate in S1, but they haven't really figured out what to do with him (or any of The Boys really) moving forward. They're very one note at the moment and Hughie's Woe Is Me note is a snooze. It appears the focus on The Female's backstory has wrapped up so hopefully we'll see a shift next episode. But man has The Deep elevated himself (hilariously) to the Jaime Lannister style sympathetic monster of this show. Every scene with him is a winner.

Alec Hutson

« Reply #390 on: September 11, 2020, 10:27:13 AM »
Dark, on Netflix. An adult, German version of Stranger Things. Very well done. I'm just finishing up Season 2, and there are 3 seasons out currently. After that, I'm excited to get into The Boys. Along with Watchmen my favorite show from last year. 

Alec Hutson

Betty Blast

« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2020, 02:43:37 AM »
I've been watching Wynonna Earp, it's been interesting so far. There are too many new shows on my need to watch list: The Boys, Lucifer, Away, Raised by Wolves. Not sure if I'll be able to finish all of them by the end of the year.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2020, 04:53:05 AM »
I've been watching DS9 for the first time. Nearly done now, but I got a bit tired of it and wanted something lighter and more modern. Landed on Republic of Doyle which is silly and a bit crazy but quite watchable.

CegAbq

« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2020, 05:43:45 AM »
I've been watching DS9 for the first time. Nearly done now, but I got a bit tired of it and wanted something lighter and more modern. Landed on Republic of Doyle which is silly and a bit crazy but quite watchable.
Love Republic of Doyle ... was born in St. Johns
Carol in 'burque ...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #394 on: October 04, 2020, 06:39:21 AM »
Well, further into Season 2 of The Boys Hughie stops his whiny, self-absorbed, needy, passive-aggressive, dbaggery and becomes fairly likable again. So that's cool.👍 Unfortunately, Starlight gets so disillusioned her moral compass goes on the fritz.😔 With the loss of Starlight's moral polaris, the "good" guys are disturbingly gray, but the bad guys are so forkin bad the lines are clearly drawn nonetheless.
Still watching but afraid my psyche is being scarred and smut is soiling my soul by doing so... seriously, it's bonkers twisted. 😒
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

Simon Haynes

« Reply #395 on: October 04, 2020, 07:14:46 AM »
Binging Schitts Creek. Laugh out loud funny in many places, which is all I can ask for.

Anarchist

« Reply #396 on: October 04, 2020, 10:04:51 AM »
Binging Schitts Creek. Laugh out loud funny in many places, which is all I can ask for.

I'm torn between binge-watching The Good Place and Schitt's Creek. Both recently released their final seasons on Netflix.

(I typically wait to watch a series until it's over.)

Simon Haynes

« Reply #397 on: October 04, 2020, 06:53:37 PM »
I'll often wait for a drama series to end before I start watching it, but not light humour.

Having said that, I watched The Last Kindgom and Vikings the minute they released a new series. And subsequently mixed up the plot lines and characters from each in my muddled brain.

Anarchist

« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2020, 10:10:55 AM »

Season 1...

Interesting, mostly due to worldbuilding. If you enjoy the cyberpunk genre, you'll like this from a bird's-eye view.

Acting: A couple actors do solid work. Most do forgettable work. A few do consistently cringe-worthy work.

Writing: Uneven. Some good episodes and some bad episodes.

Directing: Solid. A few great sequences surrounded by really good ones. Poor choices here and there, but that's to be expected when you're relying on a stable of directors (unlike, for example, season 1 of True Detective).

Visuals: great. Big budget put to good use.

Overall: 7

Season 2...

A dumpster fire.

Acting: with the exception of one character, sh*tty.

Writing: terrible. Bad enough to make you curse the writers.

Directing: also terrible. Storytelling sacrificed for cool-looking scenes (which aren't nearly as cool-looking as the directors probably imagined).

Visuals: ho-hum. Lower budget than season 1. But rather than leaning into the storytelling, they tried to dazzle and totally missed the landing.

Overall: 2 (only saving grace was one particular character's arc).

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:13:16 AM by Anarchist »

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

VanessaC

« Reply #399 on: October 26, 2020, 01:11:16 AM »

Season 1...

Interesting, mostly due to worldbuilding. If you enjoy the cyberpunk genre, you'll like this from a bird's-eye view.

Acting: A couple actors do solid work. Most do forgettable work. A few do consistently cringe-worthy work.

Writing: Uneven. Some good episodes and some bad episodes.

Directing: Solid. A few great sequences surrounded by really good ones. Poor choices here and there, but that's to be expected when you're relying on a stable of directors (unlike, for example, season 1 of True Detective).

Visuals: great. Big budget put to good use.

Overall: 7

Season 2...

A dumpster fire.

Acting: with the exception of one character, sh*tty.

Writing: terrible. Bad enough to make you curse the writers.

Directing: also terrible. Storytelling sacrificed for cool-looking scenes (which aren't nearly as cool-looking as the directors probably imagined).

Visuals: ho-hum. Lower budget than season 1. But rather than leaning into the storytelling, they tried to dazzle and totally missed the landing.

Overall: 2 (only saving grace was one particular character's arc).

I've just started watching Season 1, having decided I need Netflix in my life (I really don't, but I'll tell myself that). I'm finding it interesting to compare it to the book - read a long, long time ago. A lot of the elements are there and some of the side-stories / side-characters are really well done (I love the hotel AI). Sounds like I might need a distraction to get me through season 2, though!

Genre: Fantasy