Author Topic: At Great Risk  (Read 1331 times)

A. N. Onymous

At Great Risk
« on: February 16, 2019, 07:37:19 AM »
...of once more attracting the absolute derision and contempt of authors, I would like to present the antithesis of my previous post about an opinion on a movie. I just watched possibly the best crafted story of the last decade or more. A mystery thriller to end all with a surprise per moment almost to the end. Written and directed by the same man. Superbly scripted, brilliantly directed, magnificently acted, scrupulously edited and wonderfully filmed.
I am not normally a fan of alternating POVs, but this one succeeds where others failed. I would see this one again and again to catch what I may have missed the first few times. What movie is it? Hmm, might not be wise of me to mention it...what the heck. "Bad Times at the El Royale", written and directed by Drew Goddard(Director of The Martian). I think, if I wanted to know the best way to craft a great story, I need go no futher than to watch this movie. It really deserves to be a book if it isn't already.
Might not be everyone's cup of tea, and certainly quite violent at times, but just sublime craftsmanship on so many levels. Worth every cent to purchase or rent. Only my opinion though, so no need to go to town on me. If you don't agree with my opinion, so be it.

Shoe

Re: At Great Risk
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »
It was a good flick, great cast, quirky, sort of Tarantino-ish. Wikipedia calls it "neo-noir"--that sounds about right. Is that a genre in books? (Any examples?)

If you haven't seen it, "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang" is worth a look. It's in my Top Five.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
Re: At Great Risk
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
It gets a 75% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes from both the critics and the general audience, so.... it's not really that controversial for one to state that it's good, yeah?

ETA: I'm going to watch it tomorrow night and see! Thanks for the recommendation. :-)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:20:12 PM by angelapepper »

The following users thanked this post: A. N. Onymous