Author Topic: Good areas to invest and make sizable profits?  (Read 1932 times)

Vidya

Good areas to invest and make sizable profits?
« on: August 12, 2020, 02:45:18 PM »

My father owns some shares in blue-chip companies, shares he bought decades ago. He wants to sell them but is waiting. Even before the virus hit, the share market in India was down for over a year.

“This could be a good time to buy more shares,” I suggested to him. “Buy when low, sell when high.”

“But when will the economy recover?” he said. “It could take years.”

He listens to business news channels every day and studies the prices of shares that they flash on TV.

“Since you know so much about shares, why did you never invest big and make a ton of money?” I asked him.

“I know something about shares,” he said. “Many know far more than me, invested big, and also lost big. For every Warren Buffet, there are many who went bankrupt and even killed themselves. I invested conservatively in reputed companies. Had I taken big risks, I could have lost big too.”

Before the lockdown, I invited a friend of my brother’s to my place to give me investment advice. This guy, let’s call him Jay, is an MBA, sometimes teaches investment at a business school, and works for a big company that sends him all over the world to study investment opportunities or something.

He himself doesn't invest much in shares, which I found odd. I asked if he could suggest any start-ups to invest in but he said it was risky. Many start-ups fail.

I naively hoped since he’s the expert, he might know of some start-ups that are based on such brilliant ideas that they’re bound to make it big.

Sure, we’d all like to have been in on the ground floor of Microsoft, FB, and Twitter. But no one knows what the next big thing will be.

He also told me many great ideas are suppressed by big business. He gave a couple of examples:

someone invented a new, very comfortable to use keyboard. It would have made all existing keyboards obsolete, so some computer giant paid him millions for his design, only so they could then ensure no one could manufacture it.

And someone invented a less painful way to deliver injections, which would have put all the big syringe manufacturers out of business, so he too was bought out.

If these stories are true, theyre very depressing.

I hoped he would give me some great investment advice, but he seemed to mainly discourage me from trying anything. He felt everything was too risky. He did suggest I start playing about with small sums and buying shares to get some practice playing the market. Again, that was before the lockdown. I’m not sure anyone would advise investing in the market now.

So I’m asking you guys:

where do you invest your money? What returns do you get, if you don't mind saying?

Can you suggest any reliable site or forum where I can learn more about what to invest in?

I hesitate to dabble much in shares or mutual funds. I have neither the time nor interest to keep close track of the stock market. I’d love to hire someone to manage investments for me, but who would be reliable?

Crime novelist Patricia Cornwell won a $50.9 million verdict against her accountants. She said she knew nothing about business, so she trusted to her accountants to invest her money for her. They embezzled or mismanaged her money and she said she lost a lot of writing time when she had to go to court to sue them.

If millionaires can’t hire trusted people to manage their money, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Sure, we have much less to invest but they could mismanage that too.

Some people suggest buying houses to rent out, but during this time, I wonder how profitable that would be. Is anyone here doing well with real estate at this time? Do you think it’s a good time to buy properties and rent them out? Is it easy to get renters now?

I’m looking for something to invest in that doesn't take too much of my time to then monitor. Could real estate be the answer? Do any of you in the US rent out properties?

I’d love to ask writers who earn millions of dollars what they invest in but I guess they won't answer. I’d like to ask ANYONE who earns millions of dollars what they invest in.

if my father and Jay, who know so much more about business than I do, had no good suggestions for what to invest in, does that mean there is nothing?

I get the newsletter of Simon Black, who often claims he has inside information on good companies to invest in. the catch is, we have to pay for this info.

And I figure, if he has such good intel, why isnt he investing big himself? Why would he sell this info to strangers?

Sounds to me more like those marketing gurus who promise your book can become a bestseller if you take their course. Why arent they keeping that info to themselves so their books do better with no competition?

Now I think I wasted too much time writing this post. I’m sorry if you found it too long and boring, but as you can tell, this topic has been much on my mind. Unless you’re very rich, I think money and how to make more of it is on ALL our minds these days.

Except for the outliers, a writer’s income is iffy. I hoped to get a discussion going on what we can invest in to make a decent income.

At present in India, the only safe place to put your money is in fixed deposits [what you guys call CDs]. We get a 6% rate of interest. Used to be 8%. but I’m looking for something that yields better returns.

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff Tanyard

Re: Good areas to invest and make sizable profits?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 07:55:03 PM »
There's a lot to unpack here, but I'll give it a go.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this post should be construed as individual investment advice.  Do your own due diligence.

My father owns some shares in blue-chip companies, shares he bought decades ago. He wants to sell them but is waiting.

Why does he want to sell, and why is he waiting?  Have these stocks been going up over the past year, or have they been declining?  Anyone getting involved in trading should have both a buy strategy and a sell strategy.  "Buy and hold and hope for the best" isn't a strategy.  It's blind faith.  Just ask the folks who lost their shirts on Enron stock.  They rode it all the way down because they had no exit strategy.  Always have an exit strategy!

Even before the virus hit, the share market in India was down for over a year.

There's always a bull market somewhere.  If stocks are going down across the board, then something else--bonds, precious metals, real estate, cash, foreign stocks, etc.--is going up.  It's just a matter of finding it.

“This could be a good time to buy more shares,” I suggested to him. “Buy when low, sell when high.”

If the stock has been declining and shows no sign of strength, then the result of buying low would probably be to watch it go even lower.  Make the stock prove itself to you.  Wait for it to demonstrate strength.

“But when will the economy recover?” he said. “It could take years.”

True.  Don't try to time the market.  Even Warren Buffet doesn't try to do that.

I started rebuilding my own portfolio on March 24, the day after the market bottomed.  That's the only time in my 17 years of active investing that I've managed to successfully time the market.  I doubt it will ever happen again.

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."  --John Maynard Keynes

He listens to business news channels every day and studies the prices of shares that they flash on TV.

Tell him to turn off the tv.  It's there to entertain, not inform.  He needs to use the internet instead.  Investopedia is a good place to start for a novice investor.  Yahoo Finance has always been an excellent resource for statistics, and it has a good stock screener.  Stockcharts.com is great for charting with indicators.  And whatever online broker one decides to use should have its own research resources available.

“Since you know so much about shares, why did you never invest big and make a ton of money?” I asked him.

“I know something about shares,” he said. “Many know far more than me, invested big, and also lost big. For every Warren Buffet, there are many who went bankrupt and even killed themselves. I invested conservatively in reputed companies. Had I taken big risks, I could have lost big too.”

Wise words.  Your father knows enough to know the risks and his own limitations.

Novices look for stocks that can deliver big returns.  Pros focus on managing risk.  When you properly manage your risk, the returns will come.

Before the lockdown, I invited a friend of my brother’s to my place to give me investment advice. This guy, let’s call him Jay, is an MBA, sometimes teaches investment at a business school, and works for a big company that sends him all over the world to study investment opportunities or something.

He himself doesn't invest much in shares, which I found odd. I asked if he could suggest any start-ups to invest in but he said it was risky. Many start-ups fail.

He's right.  I don't touch startups or IPOs.  Too risky.  A stock should have to prove itself before you give it your money.  The price action and the fundamentals tell the tale.

I naively hoped since he’s the expert, he might know of some start-ups that are based on such brilliant ideas that they’re bound to make it big.

There are lots of stocks out there with appealing stories but no real business plan.  Most never pan out.  Some are even frauds.  Avoid "story" stocks.

Sure, we’d all like to have been in on the ground floor of Microsoft, FB, and Twitter. But no one knows what the next big thing will be.

You don't need the next big thing.  Well-established companies sometimes get beaten down, and when they recover, they can provide huge returns, too.  It's all about the fundamentals and price action.

He also told me many great ideas are suppressed by big business. He gave a couple of examples:

someone invented a new, very comfortable to use keyboard. It would have made all existing keyboards obsolete, so some computer giant paid him millions for his design, only so they could then ensure no one could manufacture it.

And someone invented a less painful way to deliver injections, which would have put all the big syringe manufacturers out of business, so he too was bought out.

If these stories are true, theyre very depressing.

This sort of thing happens all the time--even in our industry, publishers sometimes buy books from authors for the purpose of keeping them off the market--but it's irrelevant as far as investing is concerned.

I hoped he would give me some great investment advice, but he seemed to mainly discourage me from trying anything. He felt everything was too risky. He did suggest I start playing about with small sums and buying shares to get some practice playing the market. Again, that was before the lockdown. I’m not sure anyone would advise investing in the market now.

Again, he sounds like a wise man.  You sound focused on hitting a home run on the stock market when instead you should be focused on managing risk, and your father seems to recognize that, hence his efforts to warn you off.  I agree with him about starting small, too.  Only play around with money you're willing to lose, but if you do have some money you're willing to lose, then by all means give it a shot.  This is a golden age for investors and traders.  Zero-dollar commissions!  Who can believe it?  I still can't believe it.  I thought I was getting a screaming deal back in 2003 when I only paid Scottrade seven bucks per trade.

Some people suggest buying houses to rent out, but during this time, I wonder how profitable that would be. Is anyone here doing well with real estate at this time? Do you think it’s a good time to buy properties and rent them out? Is it easy to get renters now?

I have no desire to be a landlord, and I have no experience with this.  The only real estate investments I've made have been via REITs.

We do have at least one member here, though, who is a landlord, so maybe someone will chime in.

I’d love to ask writers who earn millions of dollars what they invest in but I guess they won't answer. I’d like to ask ANYONE who earns millions of dollars what they invest in.

Jeff Bezos invests primarily in his own company.  The bulk of his net worth--pre-divorce, I mean; I don't know what his situation is now--is/was in Amazon stock.  He believed in himself and his company when other tech companies were failing and other investors were skeptical about Amazon's long-term viability.

Warren Buffet's wealth is in his company, Berkshire Hathaway, a holding company that invests in boring things like consumer staples and insurance companies.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/011216/where-does-warren-buffett-keep-his-money.asp

John Templeton was already rich--and 88 years old--when he bet on a tech-stock crash at the height of the tech bubble.  He made out like a bandit.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0528/054.html#467e12fd2f3e

George Soros made a killing by famously shorting the British Pound.

There are many ways to get rich investing.  What the best investors have in common is they tend to look for bargains and go against the crowd.  That's the hard part: going against the crowd.  We're herd animals, and it's our nature to run with the herd, even when we know there's a cliff ahead.  Knowing what to do intellectually and being psychologically able to do it are two different challenges.  There have been many times when I knew what I should have done but didn't do it because I couldn't get over the psychological barrier.

if my father and Jay, who know so much more about business than I do, had no good suggestions for what to invest in, does that mean there is nothing?

You can put together a basic portfolio of ETFs and then sit back and collect dividends.  You won't get rich that way, but it'll help you get your feet wet, and you'll collect a little income along the way.

There are as many ways to invest as there are stars in the sky.

I get the newsletter of Simon Black, who often claims he has inside information on good companies to invest in. the catch is, we have to pay for this info.

And I figure, if he has such good intel, why isnt he investing big himself? Why would he sell this info to strangers?

It's not an either/or thing.  A successful investor might publish a newsletter for the same reason a successful indie author might publish a how-to-self-publish manual.  It's a good way to capitalize on the brand one has already built.

(That's not an endorsement of Simon Black.  I don't anything about the guy.  Just speaking generally.)

At present in India, the only safe place to put your money is in fixed deposits [what you guys call CDs]. We get a 6% rate of interest. Used to be 8%. but I’m looking for something that yields better returns.

Your biggest challenge is your nation's currency.  Inflation is going to eat away at that six percent.

https://tradingeconomics.com/india/inflation-cpi

Almost anything would be better than putting your money in a Rupee-denominated asset.

Well, there you go.  Hope I've given you some food for thought.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Vidya, LilyBLily, lea_owens

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:53:52 PM »
As far as those newletters go, and there are lots of them, I wonder if it is a way of rigging the game. Not only do you get the money from the newsletter but if enough people follow the advice, it will drive the stock price up, as activity on it grows, which makes people wonder what's going on with it and if they should get in too. It worked pretty well for the day traders in the late 90s. (Source - the day traders, I'm related to one who worked for one of the biggest day trading companies)

Using inside information to buy stock is illegal. Saying you have that and selling that information? Wow. I'm going to take a peek at this Simon Black guy.

The following users thanked this post: Vidya

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 11:01:42 PM »
Those are excellent replies.

Many years ago I was given some stock by my company. Soon after I parted with them, their stock took a big dive and I sold it because I needed the cash. After that, the company climbed to the sky, doing splits, being bought out handsomely by a giant media company, and more. I missed out on some very big profits because I had sold low. At no cost, I learned an important lesson: I have no sense for how to time the market and no understanding about individual companies' stock and I should stay out of that game.

I know someone who is an expert in a certain business field. Lifelong expert, always checking out new information about that field. A fan, you could say. That person has invested successfully in stocks of that field and never lost money on any. He's also made quite a few scores and cashed out at the right time and reinvested and ended up with a tidy profit even though he pays conventional brokerage commissions. He hasn't gotten rich because he's never had much money to play with and that field generally isn't subject to huge speculative gains or losses--but he's managed over time to build up a retirement fund that he would otherwise never have had. A win. 

Who of us are such fierce subject matter experts?

Nevertheless, there always are people eager to try to make a killing playing with individual stocks when they know nothing about the companies behind them, and also plenty of people eager to put their assets into actively managed mutual funds run by some whiz kid type. The whiz kid gets rich churning the stocks within the fund and his million-dollar commissions and salary are all taxed as mere capital gains and meanwhile, the mutual fund does not do as well over time as a simple index fund. 

Since this is a writing-oriented site, let me recommend Phil DeMuth's The Affluent Investor, which takes note of many other books on the subject of investing and thus can give an education in the science and theory. It's an entertaining read and gives clear-eyed advice.

Most of us here are speculators in that we publish books with the hope that they will make a big score even though each individual book is a new, untried product. Most of us are smart enough not to risk money we can't afford to lose. Occasionally, someone will post on a writing-oriented site about plans to "go all in" to make a new book a bestseller. Maybe some of you can dredge up a name of someone who actually made a bestseller that way? I can't.

Anyone with that mind set is likely to lose a lot of money on the stock market. Investment letters should be viewed as entertainment reading, not financial advice. This isn't financial advice; this is education advice. If you don't educate yourself about how investing (or anything else) works, you are a chicken ripe for the plucking.     

Maggie Ann

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 11:07:53 PM »
Every time I invested in a 401(k), the stock market took a big hit. I am the kiss of death when it comes to investing in stocks.

I received a small inheritance in 2015, and put it in a seven-year fixed annuity. I'll never get rich, but I am happy with the profits.

I again received a small inheritance in 2017, and put the money into my house. I now have a decent amount of equity, and if I have to sell because I have to go into assisted living or a nursing home, I will have the money to do so. If not, my family will receive the benefit of that equity.

Of course, everything could crash, but that has happened before, and will no doubt happen again. I feel that my money is as safe as could reasonably be expected.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 06:24:21 AM »
As far as those newletters go, and there are lots of them, I wonder if it is a way of rigging the game. Not only do you get the money from the newsletter but if enough people follow the advice, it will drive the stock price up, as activity on it grows, which makes people wonder what's going on with it and if they should get in too. It worked pretty well for the day traders in the late 90s. (Source - the day traders, I'm related to one who worked for one of the biggest day trading companies)

There are laws against pump-and-dump stuff like that, though.  That's not to say it doesn't happen, because it certainly does.  But those shady fellows are risking the ire of the SEC, and the odds are that they'll eventually get caught.

If a newsletter has been around for many years, then it's probably legit.  The late Richard Russell published Dow Theory Letters for decades, and as far as I know, he was completely above-board.  I was never a subscriber to it, but I've only ever heard good things about it.

I believe newsletter publishers--and all the employees who work for them--are forbidden from owning the stocks they recommend until something like 48 hours after the newsletter goes out.  (I'm going from memory here, so I might be wrong about the details.  The point, though, is that there are regulations in place to prevent mischief.  It's not just a caveat emptor free-for-all.)

Using inside information to buy stock is illegal.

Well, it depends.  If all you have is the insider info that is not publicly available, then yes, you're daring the SEC to love you tenderly.  You can, however, use insider info along with other factors to justify a purchase.  Insiders who trade their own company's stock must publicly disclose the trade within 24 hours (I think; might be 48.)  These are called SEC Form 4 filings, and they're publicly available.

For example, here are the Form 4 filings for Amazon.  You can plainly see when the insiders--including Jeff Bezos--have made purchases or sales:

https://www.secform4.com/insider-trading/1018724.htm

It's actually kind of hard to successfully prosecute someone for insider trading.  The legal hurdle is higher than most people think it is.

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 06:58:47 AM »
All good points. The OP said Simon Black "has inside information on good companies to invest in". I took a look at the guy's website. Tips on how to get dual citizenship and another passport and how to set up foreign bank accounts (all that stuff is public information so don't pay for it). Honestly I felt like I needed a shower after browsing his site. Reminds me of a guy I went to high school with, who now is a big time international lawyer. His tag line should be "Want to skirt international law, I'm your man." Ick.

I'll admit I want no part of the stock market and am about as biased as I can be about it. It should be a way for people to invest in companies and ideas that they believe in, for the mutual benefit of both. What it is now-Ick (again).

Vidya

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
I don't read his newsletter regularly but I recall once he offered to tell us of some promising start ups to invest in, for a fee of course. That’s what I meant by "has inside information on good companies to invest in". Another time I think he said some medical company would be good to invest in because they were working on some exciting new drug.

Vidya

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Jeff, thanks a lot for that detailed reply. Yes, you gave me lots of food for thought and I’ve been mulling it over.

My father wants to sell because he says shares were never meant to be hung on to forever. He bought them cheap, they’re worth much more now. He is waiting for the price to rise but says with the virus, he doubts they will rise for some years. He is willing to wait.

There's always a bull market somewhere.  If stocks are going down across the board, then something else--bonds, precious metals, real estate, cash, foreign stocks, etc.--is going up.  It's just a matter of finding it.

GOLD. The price is always rising. And Indians buy a lot of gold.

I once asked a jeweler if I should sell my gold ornaments when the price is high and make new ones when it’s low. I anyway want to recast the old ones into new designs.

He said the price of gold will never fall that low. There’ll be slight fluctuations but the price of gold will keep rising.

Simon Black often advises us to invest in gold. Would this be a good idea? Should we buy gold bars and sell them when the price rises even higher? It’s already very high now though.

There are lots of stocks out there with appealing stories but no real business plan.  Most never pan out.  Some are even frauds.  Avoid "story" stocks.

that was an eye-opener and reminded me of all the people who bought tickets to Mars. When it first became a thing, I assumed they all had a death-wish since it was a one-way ticket.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »
Vidya, I'm glad I can help.  The stock market is a fairly safe place to invest, but only if one knows the risks and takes the proper precautions.  Lots of people have been financially ruined because they either didn't know the risks or they did know them but didn't take them seriously.

On the subject of gold, this article might help:

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/020915/has-gold-been-good-investment-over-long-term.asp

Investopedia is a wonderful resource, and I would encourage anyone interested in this stuff to start there and simply read as much as you can.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
I bought stocks through my company and lost half when the market tanked. It is wise to think if it as gambling. There are no sure investments, even gold. It's a matter of putting money in and holding your breath.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Wonder

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 04:24:11 AM »
I’ve been investing for over 20 years and it’s been quite the educational experience. I learned that you’re  not going to get rich by reading stock newsletters, finding a winning company on IPO day, or becoming a day trader. The reason why those things are pushed heavily is that there’s money to be made in pushing them. Someone’s getting rich, and it ain’t the customer.

Most people who have wealth have either started a business that has done very well OR they’ve been steadily accumulating wealth over decades by keeping their expenses low and socking away a decent chunk of their day-job salary into sensible investments. I’m talking boring-old mutual funds and retirement accounts. Compound interest is the real moneymaker. For most folks who don’t get struck by luck-lightning, it takes decades of patient financial management to reach a big financial goal.

As a starting place I recommend the books: The Millionaire Next Door and The Bogleheads Guide to Investing. The Bogleheads Wiki is also excellent. Like Jeff said, investopedia is a great resource. I wouldn’t recommend individual stocks, investment apps, or anything promising you “big profits.”  The investment waters are full of sharks. Don’t be chum, chums.

;)

Wonder