Author Topic: BN Press Royalty Rates are Going Up  (Read 2233 times)

Wonder

BN Press Royalty Rates are Going Up
« on: February 02, 2021, 03:10:30 AM »
I received this email:

Dear Publishers,

We are so excited to start the new year with a refresh to Barnes & Noble Press services and features! Effective today, you will see increased royalty rates, sped up payment times, and improved publicity opportunities to meet the needs of the growing independent publishing community.

What’s New:

New Royalty Terms! Publishers will now receive a flat 70% royalty rate from eBooks sales.

New Payment Schedule! The platform will accelerate payments to 30 days after purchase instead of the prior 60 days.

New Marketing Opportunities! Our team will leverage an expanded array of merchandising options, including curated ads on BN.com, better email placement to promote titles to customers, and social media and blog exposure on Barnes & Noble Press and NOOK channels.

It's nice to see retailers raising their game, especially on marketing options.

idontknowyet

Re: BN Press Royalty Rates are Going Up
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:01:06 AM »
oh i wonder if that will encourage amazon to up their game?
a flat 70% is huge for 99c books and stuff over $10 like boxed sets.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 04:08:23 AM »
Wonder, I assume you're direct with B&N?

Wonder

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 06:19:52 AM »

I am. Although I'd hope the new rates pass through to those going through D2D and Smashwords.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 06:33:15 AM »

I am. Although I'd hope the new rates pass through to those going through D2D and Smashwords.

I hope so, too.

I also hope Amazon will match this.  They have in the past, so there's reason for optimism here.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

LilyBLily

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 06:43:40 AM »
Amazon matching the royalty (for want to a better word) to 70% across the board would be huge. But would Amazon do it? Think  of all the 99-cent books whose royalties would double. On our side, we could price books at $1.99 or box sets at $12.99 if we wanted to.

Getting the money from B&N in 30 days would be nice, but not IMO as important.

Here's hoping the promo opportunities at B&N will be better than Kobo's incessant "make it free" promos. Ideally, a percentage off at the checkout and our prices stay the same and the Amazon spiders can't touch us. It's not that I'm an Amazon hater, but I am lazy and don't want to change prices on multiple venues every few days to cover a discount period.

Another happy thought is that at 70% royalty at B&N I could drop the prices on my books by a dollar and still make the same net profit on each sale. Might improve sales.

I'm not in a hurry. Let's see what happens.

PJ Post

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 07:20:12 AM »
Agree. 70% is a game changer. I think we have a shot if Apple and Kobo adopt the new rate. But, sadly, I'm not betting on it.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 02:05:54 AM »
If all the other ebook publishers follow suit it might make KU a bit less attractive to authors.

And 70% on 99c specials would make all the difference when it comes to Bookbub featured deals. (I know you can do a countdown, but that's available in the UK and US only, which means you can only apply for a US only bookbub deal, and only for a title enrolled in KU.)

notthatamanda

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 02:58:48 AM »
If all the other ebook publishers follow suit it might make KU a bit less attractive to authors.

And 70% on 99c specials would make all the difference when it comes to Bookbub featured deals. (I know you can do a countdown, but that's available in the UK and US only, which means you can only apply for a US only bookbub deal, and only for a title enrolled in KU.)
Both really good points. 70 cents on a 99 cents book is a lot more to use for advertising too. Of course there's the whole getting a US bookbub.

alhawke

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 03:11:57 AM »
I interpreted this as a move to stay competitive. B&N had a lot of problems last yr with their emails being compromised (I'm still receiving a flood of junk mail) and, surely, damage to their brick and mortar store sales. Perhaps they're finally seeing the wave of ebook success with Zon. Whatever the case, it's a welcome change.

Lynn

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »
Ah. :) BN payment just came through and it was a catch up for the new 30 days payment schedule. So two months in one. December and January. It's nice to see that it happened seamlessly.
Don't rush me.

LeonardDHilleyII

• Blurb unlocked
    • Leonard D. Hilley II Author Website
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 03:52:02 AM »

That would be great!

Anarchist

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 09:53:26 AM »

That would be great!

Why do you keep resurrecting old threads?

Imagine the mess if ALL of us started resurrecting old threads.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Eric Thomson

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 10:18:31 AM »

Challenge accepted.  grint :dance:

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Wonder

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 12:07:30 PM »

Challenge accepted.  grint :dance:

:icon_rofl:

And now I'm off to lock some threads.   :police:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Lynn

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 11:35:09 PM »
Why do you keep resurrecting old threads?

For the record, I have no problem with resurrecting old threads.

Probably a good idea to say you're doing it though.

If an issue from a few years ago has a now perspective, it should be on the same thread.

If it's out of place, I'll cut it off so it can start a new one.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

writeway

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 08:41:57 AM »
I saw this post and thought it was for THIS YEAR. Prime example of how resurrecting old threads can cause confusion. I saw the title and thought this was for 2022, not last year. I was wondering why I didn't get an email about royalty rates rising again.

The following users thanked this post: Greg Dragon