Author Topic: Will the paper shortage affect indie publishing decisions?  (Read 997 times)

Ros

Will the paper shortage affect indie publishing decisions?
« on: October 26, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »
I've seen some reports of the paper shortage, related to a general shortage of labour and supply chain issues. It seems to be global, and possibly peaking this autumn.

Is this affecting anyone here, and will it influence how you price books or how you publish? For instance, is it a consideration in holding off paperback launch dates until stock availability isn't an issue?

More here:

https://www.vox.com/culture/22687960/book-shortage-paper-ink-printing-labor-explained

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

LilyBLily

Re: Will the paper shortage affect indie publishing decisions?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 02:08:19 PM »
If Amazon increases the manufacturing cost, would it bother to tell us?

PJ Post

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 11:36:00 PM »
I would assume this is more of a problem with traditional launches where the printing is in bulk, and the launches are backed up like planes on a runway. Amazon uses on demand which is a different process. But depending on how long the shortages are allowed to continue, eventually it will be a problem for everyone.

It's getting weirder and weirder out there.

The following users thanked this post: Ros

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 03:15:47 AM »
Yes, our local grocery has signs about shortages all over the store--and paper goods are among them.

Maybe a severe and sustained paper shortage will finally kill the horribly wasteful publishing standard of tearing off mass market paperback covers and getting full credit for a return while tossing out the books themselves (and not necessarily recycling the paper), and of overprinting and stuffing too many copies into physical bookstores and then accepting full-copy returns. Return credit became a thing in the Depression, to coax bookstores to bring in stock. It's a lousy industry paradigm that ought to die.

Our indie trade paperbacks that are returnable through Ingram, for instance, would be full-copy returns, but a trade paperback is likely to come back in shopworn, unsaleable condition. Returned hardcovers are routinely resold as bargain books and return to the very same bookstores at much lower prices, but they manage to stay in decent physical shape after all that back and forth.

POD is a much saner way of printing books, but customers rule, and if they want it NOW, publishers and bookstores will do everything they can to make it happen--short of actually printing the book for them at the store. That hasn't really worked out even though some people in the industry want it to. I think it has to do with lacking the magic.

Ros

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »
If Amazon increases the manufacturing cost, would it bother to tell us?

I think it would have to, because there's a minimum price per book related to the manufacturing cost. But on POD there seems to be a lot of profit built in for Amazon - the publisher percentage is pretty dismal.

Yes, our local grocery has signs about shortages all over the store--and paper goods are among them.

Maybe a severe and sustained paper shortage will finally kill the horribly wasteful publishing standard of tearing off mass market paperback covers and getting full credit for a return while tossing out the books themselves (and not necessarily recycling the paper), and of overprinting and stuffing too many copies into physical bookstores and then accepting full-copy returns. Return credit became a thing in the Depression, to coax bookstores to bring in stock. It's a lousy industry paradigm that ought to die.

Our indie trade paperbacks that are returnable through Ingram, for instance, would be full-copy returns, but a trade paperback is likely to come back in shopworn, unsaleable condition. Returned hardcovers are routinely resold as bargain books and return to the very same bookstores at much lower prices, but they manage to stay in decent physical shape after all that back and forth.

POD is a much saner way of printing books, but customers rule, and if they want it NOW, publishers and bookstores will do everything they can to make it happen--short of actually printing the book for them at the store. That hasn't really worked out even though some people in the industry want it to. I think it has to do with lacking the magic.

I'm not sure what it will take for sanity to take over. The current system is unsustainable from an environmental point of view, but I don't think many people are at the stage yet of thinking about how their reading can be made more sustainable - it's low on the list compared with impacts of transport, heating, insulation, and so on. If you really want to go green with reading, it makes the most sense for heavy readers to buy ebooks anyhow.

The sale-or-return model is wasteful, but it's a consequence of many books being time-sensitive. But not all are. And not all readers want books immediately if it's not sustainable. Maybe there's scope for a POD imprint from one of the major publishers - but first, they'd have to admit how unsustainable everything else they do is.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

LilyBLily

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 09:00:54 AM »
Yeah, catch trad pubs admitting anything they do is unsustainable. I'm okay with it holding over some aspects of the "gentleman's business" it used to be, but the truth is that contracts now are written with corporate profits almost wholly in mind, and woe betide the author who doesn't have significant bargaining heft. That's not gentlemanly at all.

Lynn

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 01:15:43 AM »
Barnes and Noble say they're going to increase the printing costs by 6%. I saw the notice the last time I logged in. I can't find it now but I'm sure the notice will pop up again. (It did.)
Notice from B&N Press – Print Cost Changes
Since our re-launch early in 2018, B&N Press has continued our effort to provide you with the most competitive print book pricing available. However, due to global supply chain challenges, we will be increasing the costs of our print books by 6% on November 4.

We ask that you please review the printing costs and retail list pricing of your affected project(s) listed below and make any adjustments as necessary. Any retail list price changes must be finalized by Wednesday, November 3, with pricing changes planned to take effect Thursday, November 4.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 06:00:19 AM by Lynn »
Don't rush me.