Author Topic: Ah... Hoopla Again  (Read 935 times)

alhawke

Ah... Hoopla Again
« on: June 18, 2022, 01:07:53 AM »
So I got an email from D2D saying that I sold a book on Hoopla. The weird thing about this is I don't have a title on sale there per D2D's home dashboard.  :shrug

I had a book on sale for 99c last year. I foolishly removed it a year ago to try to get a better seller price, cause selling a book at 99c on a library is basically free--don't remove your book if you're in a similar situation; good luck ever seeing it on their site again.

Anyway, the book that sold this month was one of my other titles. Why don't I ask D2D about this book? Honestly, I fear that they'll re-publish it and it will be erased from Hoopla's catalog and then the book will never be sold again. I'm not sure they're totally savvy on what's going on (I love D2D, don't get me wrong, I just think Hoopla is a bit different). So I'm completely confused. Has any of you had any luck selling your books there? Any "hacks" to get it actually sold via D2D? (I tried contacting D2D in the past).

LilyBLily

Re: Ah... Hoopla Again
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 03:06:32 AM »
At one time I signed up for Hoopla but nothing happened for over a year--the book was still being considered by Hoopla or something of that nature and was not actually listed. I withdrew my books from Hoopla.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

Maggie Ann

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 03:40:25 AM »
I have twelve books in a series on Hoopla but I noticed something was wrong with one of them. I updated it and Hoopla deleted it. I checked with D2D and they checked with Hoopla. No luck. Hoopla wouldn't even consider reinstating the book and don't contact them about it again.

For the pitiful amount of royalties I get from them, there's so sense worrying about it.

Some of my books still have the "delay" message on them after how many years? Not going to worry about that either.

spin52

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 06:26:37 PM »
Hoopla is a lost cause. I have books I tried to list there years ago that have never seen the light of day. I get maybe two or three Hoopla borrows a month now if I'm lucky, but since nothing published since 2018 has been listed, that's not surprising. I wish D2D would either drop them completely or insist they get their act together.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

alhawke

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 01:18:43 AM »
Thing is, when my books land on hoopla for even just a month they sell. Then they're taken off for random reasons. In other words, they're great when they're selling books.

Has anyone gone direct with them outside of D2D? I wonder if the problem has to do with D2D's interface??? :shrug

spin52

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 04:27:22 PM »
Well, glory be. I have just had an email saying five of my books have been listed on Hoopla. That's the good news. The bad is that they appear to have been picked at random, so there's no chance of anyone being able to read through a series.

alhawke

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 04:36:46 PM »
Congrats... I guess. Hopefully the others are coming soon.

The following users thanked this post: spin52

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 05:28:47 PM »
Well, glory be. I have just had an email saying five of my books have been listed on Hoopla. That's the good news. The bad is that they appear to have been picked at random, so there's no chance of anyone being able to read through a series.

They listed exactly five of my books, too.  Perhaps they're only doing five per author until they work through enough of their backlog.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

spin52

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 07:58:25 PM »
Congrats... I guess. Hopefully the others are coming soon.
There's no logic to it. I have a series of 17 books, soon to be 18, which are my best-selling ones. Most of the early books in the series were already on Hoopla, but now they have skipped the middle ones and listed the 12th book, the 15th one and a companion book, plus two random books from other series. It would be nice if they'd fill in the blanks, but considering how long it took to get these listed, I'm not holding my breath.

alhawke

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 12:00:00 AM »
I do wonder why they chose the book they did out of all my books (and I'm not going to ask D2D cause I don't think they know). Random? AI? Editor? It makes you wonder if they're picking books out of series.

spin52

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 05:20:33 AM »
And now another random book from another series has been listed. I wonder when/if it will stop?

Maggie Ann

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 05:54:20 AM »
I do wonder why they chose the book they did out of all my books (and I'm not going to ask D2D cause I don't think they know). Random? AI? Editor? It makes you wonder if they're picking books out of series.

Hoopla doesn't like questions. When one of the books in a 12 book series was disqualified and I asked D2D to look into it. Hoopla that they would not consider looking into it.