Author Topic: Amazon no longer accepting mobi for email to device  (Read 1025 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Amazon no longer accepting mobi for email to device
« on: June 26, 2022, 12:00:48 PM »
I got this email just now sending a mobi to my device.

Dear Kindle Customer,
Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send personal documents to your Kindle library. We noticed that the following document(s), sent by you at 01:49 AM on Sunday, June 26, 2022 GMT are in MOBI (.mobi, .azw) formats:
* OldMagic2.mobi

We wanted to let you know that starting August 2022, you’ll no longer be able to send MOBI (.mobi, .azw) files to your Kindle library. Any MOBI files already in your library will not be affected by this change. MOBI is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. Any existing MOBI files you want to read with our most up-to-date features for documents will need to be re-sent in a compatible format.

Compatible formats now include EPUB (.epub), which you can send to your library using your Send to Kindle email address. We’ll also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.     

If you have any questions, please visit our help page or contact our Customer Service team.     

Regards,
Amazon Kindle Support

Kindle Previewer, which they recommended for creating mobi's after removing the option from the submission process doesn't create an epub.

I've never head of a Send to Kindle desktop app. I'll have to try and find it.

But 2 questions are not answered in that email.

How do you create an epub to be able to send to your device?

And what other formats does the Send to Device feature support?

The whole object of sending to the device as a mobi was to see the book on your device as it would actually look.

As far as I can see, the left foot is driving what the right hand isn't doing.  :dizzy :shrug :icon_think:

Since they discontinued the Mobi format, nothing among their many facilities is using the same thing. Including the download off the submission page, which is supposed to be an html version but doesn't even have an html file in it.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: Amazon no longer accepting mobi for email to device
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 12:16:26 PM »
Found and downloaded the send app.

I guess that works. Sends the original docx straight out of windows explorer.

But how do you send it to someone else's kindle? Like a proofreader?

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 01:55:25 PM »
You can ask for their Kindle Address. They can access it on their Kindle and give it to you. Or you can use an intermediary like BookFunnel.

I use Send to Kindle for freebie books or novellas authors offer. Right now I have my own mobi freebies or ARCs with BookFunnel so readers can send them to Kindle, but obviously that will have to change. It'll be interesting to see if readers scream. I'll bet BookFunnel will come up with an easy solution.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 02:29:42 PM »
You can ask for their Kindle Address. They can access it on their Kindle and give it to you. Or you can use an intermediary like BookFunnel.

I use Send to Kindle for freebie books or novellas authors offer. Right now I have my own mobi freebies or ARCs with BookFunnel so readers can send them to Kindle, but obviously that will have to change. It'll be interesting to see if readers scream. I'll bet BookFunnel will come up with an easy solution.

I have their kindle address now.

I'm asking in what format you send to someone else's kindle in?

Or do you just email the docx to their kindle and it gets converted anyway?

Cobbah

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 03:25:11 PM »

I have their kindle address now.

I'm asking in what format you send to someone else's kindle in?

Or do you just email the docx to their kindle and it gets converted anyway?

You can send epubs, pdf's. I'm not sure about the others. Have used Send to Kindle for years to get books to beta readers. There was always the problem that it wouldn't show the covers. I'm wondering if sending epubs now resolves that (I will have to try it). In addition, uploading new books has to be epub now, they no longer support reflowable text apparently.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 03:33:12 PM »
In addition, uploading new books has to be epub now . . .

I think this may be good.  It eliminates the step of converting an epub to mobi before uploading.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 03:39:12 PM »
What do you use to create an epub?

Cobbah

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 04:27:34 PM »
I've always used Jutoh, but if you want to make it without investing time and effort go to D2D and upload a book there. It will convert a doc to ePub (or mobi) and you can download it and use it everywhere.

Do it anywhere. I just looked up this tool. https://daisy.org/activities/software/wordtoepub/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 04:30:25 PM by Cobbah »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »
I was hoping to avoid using D2D for that. I wasn't doing it to get a mobi either.

But it is a way. I use D2D for the paperback version.

VanessaC

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 07:37:13 PM »

I use Scrivener for writing, and compile my epubs from there without any issue - that's the format I currently use to upload to Amazon. I'm using the old Scrivener for Windows, but I think the new version also does this fine.

I also got Atticus earlier this year, and that also works well for converting to all sorts of different formats, although I had some issues with it not saving properly so I'm holding off relying on Atticus while they work on some of the bugs.

Genre: Fantasy

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 10:57:37 PM »

I use Calibre to create ePubs and it will send to Kindle. 
  (Note, I have not tried to send a file from Calibre.)

Also, I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200767340

R.C.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:00:17 PM by R. C. »