Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 309928 times)

Hopscotch

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #2250 on: March 06, 2022, 05:22:55 AM »
Sixteen words today, after a lot of shouting at the laptop.  But that's better than James Joyce on his average day, so it's got to be okay.
. .

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #2251 on: March 07, 2022, 01:11:07 PM »
About 200 words today although the last 67 will definitely need some revision.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2252 on: June 19, 2022, 06:06:39 AM »
250 words.  Finally working on the next fairytale.  :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2253 on: July 16, 2022, 03:34:50 AM »
I've been averaging around 500 words per day so far this year.  Not necessarily good words though.  The one novel I'm working on I am pretty sure I will likely never publish, unless I both get my humor writing mojo back and also heavily edit this mess.

I also have a short story that's now around 40k words with no semblance of an actual plot and I've wound up with too many characters that don't have names, including three or four versions of the same nameless guy.

Have another novel-in-progress I was more excited about but haven't been able to finish the outline so I can finish the story.

And then, to top it off, remember this?

I was feeling pretty confident in my redo until I did a better side-by-side comparison and--ugh--it's kind of better but much, much worse at the same time.

Well, the artwork is still not done, although I did make further progress on his sidekick.  This was going to be part of an attempt at an animated series.  I've had the story for the first "episode" in mind since around the time I decided to redo the original artwork to make a character more suitable for animation.  I thought it was a pretty cool idea and one that I don't recall seeing anywhere before.  And it was like, yay!, this will be cool and different.

So, last night, I saw a clip from Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season finale and I was like, what was that all about?  I don't do streaming, so I went to Wikipedia to read up on what happened in the first season.  Reading through the episodes, I read to my disappointment and horror my story idea was an episode in June.

I guess instead of an animation, I should have written this as a short story last year or the year before or whenever it was I first got the idea and published it.  Then I could be all like, "They stole my story!"  And maybe, you know, cha-ching.

Instead, nope.  Never published anywhere or even told anyone about it.  So, guess I'll need to figure out a different story so I don't look like a copycat.

I've got time.  Not like my drawing skills are improving in any noticeable manner.

I need to learn to write better and faster because this sort of thing seems to happen to me too often.  :icon_cry:
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

notthatamanda

« Reply #2254 on: October 20, 2022, 01:05:35 AM »
Started a new screenplay today. 91 words. I have a ways to go to get back to my 2000+ words a day, but it felt good.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2255 on: October 20, 2022, 04:17:56 AM »
I try to do 2,000 words, and generally I manage, though some days it's more, and some days it's less. I think it's normal for there to be some fluctuation.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

notthatamanda

« Reply #2256 on: October 21, 2022, 06:02:24 AM »
682 words today. I have a lots of scenes in my head for this screenplay, no idea what the order is or what it is going to add up to. Just getting them down, one scene at a time. Will move around later when it starts to make sense.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2257 on: April 26, 2023, 06:29:09 AM »
Anyone writing?  I'm working on two fairytales at the moment and a spy sequel.  :catrun

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Hopscotch

« Reply #2258 on: April 26, 2023, 07:47:56 AM »
A spy sequel to a fairy tale?  I'd like to read that!  (Pardon me, I just couldn't resist :mhk9U91:)
. .

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2259 on: April 26, 2023, 08:44:24 AM »
A spy sequel to a fairy tale?  I'd like to read that!  (Pardon me, I just couldn't resist :mhk9U91:)

Maybe...quickly makes a note.  :dog1:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2260 on: April 27, 2023, 04:39:16 AM »
At the moment, I am trying to finish a book of poetry for release this week.  I've been planning to get this out for three years now (well, technically thirty years if you want to factor in my original plans to release a book of poetry).  I mean, no one cares and no one's going to buy it, but at least I can check "Release a book of poetry" off of my To-Do list.  As a bonus, I'm also throwing in all the song lyrics I've written over the years.

After that, I'm torn between working on my horror-ish novel or the sequel to my space opera that no one buys anyway.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Hopscotch

« Reply #2261 on: April 27, 2023, 10:58:03 AM »
I've been planning to get this out for three years now (well, technically thirty years...).  I mean, no one cares and no one's going to buy it, but at least I can check "Release a book of poetry" off of my To-Do list....After that, I'm torn between working on my horror-ish novel or the sequel to my space opera that no one buys anyway.

It's a pleasure to see another writer investing a decade or two or three in a book, and a greater pleasure to know that the accomplishment means more to you than popularity or sales.  Because if you have to write, you have to write, and that's all there is to it.  And it is a noble thing.  :clap: 
. .

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2262 on: April 28, 2023, 03:09:35 AM »
Well, it's done.  On Amazon, it's "In Review."  Actually took longer to register the copyright than set it up on Amazon.  However, that was primarily because my password on the copyright registration portal had expired and I had to use the lost password feature to reset it which first required entering my name EXACTLY as it appears in my account and, after going through several variations, I was then presented with a security question which is one I had defined but that was probably fifteen years ago when I first set up the account and, after going through every answer imaginable (plus variations on capitalization because the answer had to be entered EXACTLY as originally typed), I finally stumbled on the answer when searching for a completely different possible answer and the actual answer is kind of ironic considering the whole thing.  Oy.  Also, the chance of a book of poetry selling enough copies to even cover the cost of copyright registration is pretty much slim to none.  But, on the other hand, should someone use a poem without permission, well, statutory damages and stuff so it's a good insurance policy.

Status just updated to "Publishing."

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2263 on: April 28, 2023, 05:08:04 AM »
Wow.  It's live.  I think that's the fastest I've ever had a book go live.

Lynn

« Reply #2264 on: April 28, 2023, 06:33:34 AM »
Poetic.

;D
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2265 on: April 28, 2023, 07:11:20 AM »
And it shows up as having been published yesterday.  What the heck time zone does Amazon use?  It seems like no matter what time I submit a book, it always shows the previous day's date.  My bookshelf shows I submitted it on April 27.  The store shows it was published on April 26.

:HB

I wish Amazon would fix that.  I use the correct date when I do my copyright registration and I always worry that Amazon showing a different date is going to one day cause a problem.

Hopscotch

« Reply #2266 on: April 28, 2023, 10:13:34 AM »
Amazon's is the pub date and what the US Copyright Office expects, I believe.  And the Zon does seem to live in its own time zone, yep. 
. .

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2267 on: May 06, 2023, 03:42:12 AM »
It still boggles the mind that Amazon can be so screwed up.

I think what the U.S. Copyright Office expects is factually information.  When I submit a copyright application, I have to affirm that I am submitting accurate and factual information.  So, that's what I am going to provide.  If they question the publication date, I'll just show them a screenshot of my Bookshelf in Amazon where it shows the date the work was submitted.  They would hopefully realize that a work cannot be published on Amazon prior to being submitted to Amazon.  Plus, I have the eMail from Amazon showing when it went live.

:shrug

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2268 on: May 06, 2023, 06:00:54 AM »
I think what the U.S. Copyright Office expects is factually information.  When I submit a copyright application, I have to affirm that I am submitting accurate and factual information.  So, that's what I am going to provide. 

Good call.  Never lie on a federal form, not even for what you think is a benevolent reason.  That'll get you some time in Club Fed if they decide to come after you.

If Amazon can't get the date right, then that's no fault of your own.  Use the date that you sincerely believe to be the correct one.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2269 on: May 06, 2023, 06:13:36 AM »
And I just noticed that the paperback dates are even wackier.  I have one paperback that was supposedly published two days before I submitted it.

:icon_rolleyes:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2270 on: February 10, 2024, 11:52:29 AM »
Working on a new series, first book...this one is going to be fun!  :dog1:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2271 on: February 11, 2024, 08:13:17 AM »
Prologue is finished!  :smilie_zauber: