Author Topic: Amazon vs. Purple House Press  (Read 675 times)

RiverRun

Amazon vs. Purple House Press
« on: June 17, 2022, 12:46:38 AM »
The Small Press Conundrum: Amazon vs. Purple House Press

Article about a small press that had their account banned for a time due to an error., even though they were selling a reprint of Bezos' favorite childhood book. I chalk it up to the foolishness of putting so much trust in machine automated systems. I think its a bigger problem than just Amazon, but rather a problem with the way we rely on technology. Food for thought, anyway.

https://afuse8production.slj.com/2022/06/14/the-small-press-conundrum-amazon-vs-purple-house-press/

Conclusion of the article.

Did you know that an entire industry has sprung up to help people because amazon unfairly terminated their accounts?

We were first terminated on May 3, days before the biggest sale we’ve had in 22 years. Based off of what we sold from our warehoused books, I estimate we lost the sale of a minimum of 1000 print on demand books. Wouldn’t it be nice if amazon compensated us for the lost income…

Honestly, we now feel our best and safest future is to try and reach more people directly so they know who we are, why we are reprinting old books. They’ll want us to stay in business, releasing more of the old books they like and that will happen if they support us directly rather than through amazon.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Amazon vs. Purple House Press
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 01:18:07 AM »
The thing there is she definitely broke ToS.

She admitted to having a second account.

That's a ToS violation they ban you for. And as a publisher, she should have known that.

It also highlights that once you trip the sensors, so to speak, they crawl up your account's arse with a microscope looking for anything else you've done wrong.

And in this case, found something.

The actual problem though highlights that getting rights back, or getting the rights after an author got them back, does need some special attention. It's like as soon as the book is listed by you, you need to advise Amazon that it was previously published by someone else, the rights reverted to the author, and it is being republished. And then send them a copy of the documentation when they respond. That way it's on file with them.

I can understand the bots getting it wrong though. There are some sites out there with pirated books which would look to the bots as legit. And it is very possible that some of the expanded distribution sites may never have taken the original book down after the rights reverted. That would cause the bots to reject a new submission.

But in this case, after the initial problem was fixed, the discovery of the actual ToS violation became the reason for why nothing was done about it.

It was a banning offense.

And any publisher should know that.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

RiverRun

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 05:46:41 AM »
Yes, they were unbanned.

They probably should have known better. But I think its just a handful of people trying to start from the ground up in a niche market. They were really only using the print on demand side of things. They were a vendor trying to learn and got shafted due to lack of service on Amazon's part. It's the publisher's responsibility to know the rules and follow them. But it does seem a little rough that there aren't real people to interact with and help with situations like this.

Maybe Amazon should have liasons for small publishers? Or a probation period for an author who breaks a violation, in case its all just a big mistake? It would all take money and time, but it might make the Amazon ecosystem stronger in the end.

But I guess then KDP would not be cheaper, which is why they used Kdp in the first place.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 07:58:44 PM »
It's like as soon as the book is listed by you, you need to advise Amazon that it was previously published by someone else, the rights reverted to the author, and it is being republished.

There should be a place in the upload pages where you could click it, and attach a file showing the reversion of rights.

There are several fairly recent threads on the KDP forums from people who are having a lot of trouble getting Amazon to accept their proof they have rights to publish.

As to small presses, there really should be something other than KDP for them to use. I don't think Amazon ever thought people would be publishing other people on a KDP account, so nothing was put in place to handle that situation. It really isn't "self publishing" and shouldn't be with the actual self publishers. (I think there used to be a portal for such people to get accepted under similar conditions to a traditional type of publishing business.)
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.