Author Topic: Facebook based promotion sites and Ebookdaily  (Read 1211 times)

alhawke

Facebook based promotion sites and Ebookdaily
« on: July 13, 2021, 05:30:56 AM »
I was contacted by Ebookdaily that they selected my book for promotion. I hadn't applied to them. That made me think: there's a lot of Facebook based promotion companies out there that I don't use. Do you guys find any promos through Facebook that have been super helpful? Ebookdaily? Am I missing out on significant opportunities by not seeking these out?

The Bass Bagwhan

Re: Facebook based promotion sites and Ebookdaily
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
The fact that they have reached out to you suggests something I've suspected for a while ... these sorts of promo sites are losing traction as Facebook loses appeal to many people.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 10:50:05 AM »
Unfortunately, I really can't tell if the book giveaway had more results from their promotion or not. It ran at the same time as Bookrunes and it was at the tail end of a 3 day promotion (I did have a spike in intl "sales" though, fyi. But BookRunes is known for this). It was nice to be selected without applying for promotion, though.

There are a handful of promo companies through Facebook I've never used.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 11:37:22 PM »
The problem, as far as I know, is that the more popular the sites, the quicker your promo gets pushed down the news feed as they add more books, plus FB only feeds about 15% of the followers unless you pay for a boost. Others here can probably offer more insight, but I think with the increasing number of platforms,  actual exposure has been significantly reduced.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 12:07:13 AM »
... with the increasing number of platforms,  actual exposure has been significantly reduced.

I concur. There is a saturation with "ebook market platforms" claiming to be successful.  Further, I think the inability to ensure the correct target market is becoming prevalent.

I keep coming back to: What are the alternatives to Kindle? Consumers reading on their phone is the now. Too bad the serialized delivery options are limited and the newest format is tripping over itself.

R.C.

Wonder

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 03:22:40 AM »
Unfortunately, I really can't tell if the book giveaway had more results from their promotion or not. It ran at the same time as Bookrunes and it was at the tail end of a 3 day promotion (I did have a spike in intl "sales" though, fyi. But BookRunes is known for this). It was nice to be selected without applying for promotion, though.

Interesting. I had a similar experience with a promotion site although I don't remember the name of it. They said they were running a free promotion of my book and they wanted me to share their link with readers. They tagged it onto the tail end of a promo I was doing on another paid site.

I thought it was a bit odd that they wanted authors to pitch their promo site links to readers. I mean, isn't the point of paying for promo sites that they bring the readers? But perhaps this is a list-building tactic for them, glomming onto an existing promotion and hoping that the author will attribute a nice bump in sales/downloads to them as well.

I suppose a new service needs to build up their list somehow. Writers won't pay until the audience reaches a certain size.

Wonder

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 04:00:43 AM »

Interesting. I had a similar experience with a promotion site although I don't remember the name of it. They said they were running a free promotion of my book and they wanted me to share their link with readers. They tagged it onto the tail end of a promo I was doing on another paid site.

I thought it was a bit odd that they wanted authors to pitch their promo site links to readers. I mean, isn't the point of paying for promo sites that they bring the readers? But perhaps this is a list-building tactic for them, glomming onto an existing promotion and hoping that the author will attribute a nice bump in sales/downloads to them as well.

I suppose a new service needs to build up their list somehow. Writers won't pay until the audience reaches a certain size.

Wonder

Very few of these services deliver much. Nick Erik's roundup of useful newsletter ad services still is valid: https://nicholaserik.com/promo-sites/

I have found that Facebook groups that allow promo result in nothing, since as The Bass Bagwhan said above, newer posts push yours down very quickly and Facebook suppresses your posts, too.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke