Author Topic: Using Reddit  (Read 2166 times)

munboy

Using Reddit
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:35:18 AM »
Reddit has been around for a long time now, and has always seemed to be pretty popular. It seems to be rising in popularity...Which brings me to my question.

Anybody use it? Is it a viable free marketing spot? The home page on my phone's browser serves up articles I might be interested in and I've seen a few people use Reddit to advertise their books. I know there are thriving reader communities based on genre on the site, but has anybody tried to get their name/book out there on it? Effectiveness?

Shoe

Re: Using Reddit
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:26:07 AM »
Not me but I know two LitPRG (whatever) writers who are very active on their respective communities there. When they release a new title they make announcements on their Reddit groups first and always hit sub-1000 rankings within a day. They save their mailing lists for after the Reddit rush.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The following users thanked this post: munboy

Jack Krenneck

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 09:28:34 AM »
Chris Fox's latest YouTube video mentions (in passing) that he uses Reddit ads.

munboy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
Not me but I know two LitPRG (whatever) writers who are very active on their respective communities there. When they release a new title they make announcements on their Reddit groups first and always hit sub-1000 rankings within a day. They save their mailing lists for after the Reddit rush.

I figured it'd be better to be interactive with the community and build up karma (is that what they call upvoting? lol) to get some clout on there, otherwise people will see authors for what they're trying to do...peddle their books.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 03:04:56 AM »

I figured it'd be better to be interactive with the community and build up karma (is that what they call upvoting? lol) to get some clout on there, otherwise people will see authors for what they're trying to do...peddle their books.
I'm not familiar with Reddit, but it's true of social media in general that you want to form relationships, then work in occasional ads for your books. Your instincts are right on that.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 03:54:15 AM »
Well, this thread inspired me to join Reddit and take a look around. I figure it can't hurt.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Shoe

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 04:22:47 AM »

Yeah, you don't want to drop in and spam, but you can, as a newbie, mention you're a writer and solicit feedback for your ideas. Leaving a pen name is fine, but not an Amazon link.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

munboy

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
Well, this thread inspired me to join Reddit and take a look around. I figure it can't hurt.

I made an account a couple years ago, but Reddit is just so big and sprawling that I haven't taken the time to really dive in and try to become a part of a few of the communities.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »

I made an account a couple years ago, but Reddit is just so big and sprawling that I haven't taken the time to really dive in and try to become a part of a few of the communities.
Yes, it's definitely big! I have found some genre-based reading communities that look promising. Some even have very clear guidelines about promotion, which will help in the future.