Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308756 times)

diisha392

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #700 on: June 29, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »
I was waffling about going to the library this morning (I do my best writing there) because I had some errands to run this morning, but my muse (Fiona) had other ideas. Started to walk out the door, but I automatically picked up the messenger bag with my AlphaSmart in it and drove to the library. Wrote 1254 words. Fiona obviously knows best.

Good job!

1005 words today for me

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #701 on: June 29, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »
Visited a haunted building, edited one chapter in the epic fantasy and wrote 1,285 words in the lame space opera today.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Maggie Ann

« Reply #702 on: June 29, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »
Visited a haunted building, edited one chapter in the epic fantasy and wrote 1,285 words in the lame space opera today.

Research or fun?

Sounds like the lame space opera isn't so lame with all those words you've been adding.

I was waffling about going to the library this morning (I do my best writing there) because I had some errands to run this morning, but my muse (Fiona) had other ideas. Started to walk out the door, but I automatically picked up the messenger bag with my AlphaSmart in it and drove to the library. Wrote 1254 words. Fiona obviously knows best.

Good job!

1005 words today for me

:tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, diisha392

Maggie Ann

« Reply #703 on: June 30, 2019, 02:18:51 AM »
Pretty good morning at the library. 1174 words and just for fun I strolled down the aisle where four of my books are shelved. Lovely. Keeps up the motivation.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, Kristen.s.walker

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #704 on: June 30, 2019, 05:42:05 AM »
Pretty good morning at the library. 1174 words and just for fun I strolled down the aisle where four of my books are shelved. Lovely. Keeps up the motivation.

:band:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

diisha392

« Reply #705 on: June 30, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »

Plus waffles with a friend and family time all through the afternoon

Maggie Ann

« Reply #706 on: June 30, 2019, 09:49:24 PM »

Plus waffles with a friend and family time all through the afternoon

Now I need some waffles, but the places that let me sit for a couple of hours writing don't serve waffles. <sigh>

Maggie Ann

« Reply #707 on: July 01, 2019, 02:33:54 AM »
Only 759 words today. I suspect I had waffles on my mind.

diisha392

« Reply #708 on: July 01, 2019, 10:18:07 AM »
Only 759 words today. I suspect I had waffles on my mind.

You need my local coffee shop, space to work and waffles on the weekends.

1036 words for me today and now I start shifting the focus of the story.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #709 on: July 02, 2019, 04:30:48 AM »

Research or fun?

Business.

Sounds like the lame space opera isn't so lame with all those words you've been adding.

It's not good.

I wrote 1,085 words on it on Saturday and another 1,065 words on Sunday.  (Giving my a five day average of 1,134 words per day.)  Or, I should say I rewrote that many words.  I started this lame space opera in May of 2016 before it went on the backburner for a while.  I've worked on it sporadically ever since.  Then, when getting close to finishing the fantasy epic, I started looking at it again as the next book to finish.  I realized I had what I had so far in it, plus a short story from several years ago that would be usable, plus a different short story from around the same time plus a series of three shorts I wrote a few years after that.  They were all space humor stuff and I figured by merging characters and rewriting the whole thing, I could marry them all together into one cohesive book that I could finish relatively quickly and get out prior to my other space opera being finished.

But, it's not going so well.  I'm trying to keep a lighter tone with this one, especially coming off the fantasy epic which had some dark (and adult) moments in it, and one of the short stories had an adult scene.  But, I've managed to silly it up (I hope) which makes it less adult despite a couple characters being completely naked in the scene.  But then the three story series that are the bulk of what I have written and would thus become the bulk of this book are a completely different style than everything else.

Melding the styles into one style is proving more difficult than merging characters.

Would possibly be easier if I hadn't apparently completely lost my ability to write humor.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Maggie Ann

« Reply #710 on: July 02, 2019, 05:01:11 AM »

Research or fun?

Business.

It's not good.

I wrote 1,085 words on it on Saturday and another 1,065 words on Sunday.  (Giving my a five day average of 1,134 words per day.)  Or, I should say I rewrote that many words.  I started this lame space opera in May of 2016 before it went on the backburner for a while.  I've worked on it sporadically ever since.  Then, when getting close to finishing the fantasy epic, I started looking at it again as the next book to finish.  I realized I had what I had so far in it, plus a short story from several years ago that would be usable, plus a different short story from around the same time plus a series of three shorts I wrote a few years after that.  They were all space humor stuff and I figured by merging characters and rewriting the whole thing, I could marry them all together into one cohesive book that I could finish relatively quickly and get out prior to my other space opera being finished.

But, it's not going so well.  I'm trying to keep a lighter tone with this one, especially coming off the fantasy epic which had some dark (and adult) moments in it, and one of the short stories had an adult scene.  But, I've managed to silly it up (I hope) which makes it less adult despite a couple characters being completely naked in the scene.  But then the three story series that are the bulk of what I have written and would thus become the bulk of this book are a completely different style than everything else.

Melding the styles into one style is proving more difficult than merging characters.

Would possibly be easier if I hadn't apparently completely lost my ability to write humor.

That's why I dumped my lame medieval historical romance. You lost your ability to write humor. I seem to have lost my ability to write historicals. I finally gave up the struggle. I was forcing the story and I didn't particularly like the characters. And I was only writing maybe once a week.

I'm now working on a contemporary mystery with some romance elements. Or it might be a contemporary romance with some mystery elements. Not sure. But I'm writing nearly every day. I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up, but so far, so good.

You shouldn't have to tie yourself in knots to write a story. Hard to type that way, anyway.  :writethink:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #711 on: July 02, 2019, 05:54:19 AM »
You shouldn't have to tie yourself in knots to write a story. Hard to type that way, anyway.  :writethink:

:goodpost:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #712 on: July 02, 2019, 05:56:02 AM »
I took a few days off and now getting back to book 3.  I'm not sure if there will be a book 4 or not.  It depends on how much we can resolve in this one.  :angel:

The following users thanked this post: diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #713 on: July 02, 2019, 06:46:27 AM »
1015 today. If I get the urge to do a little more this evening, I will be over 23K in this piece.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #714 on: July 02, 2019, 07:03:40 AM »

Brevity is the soul of wit.  My advice: go watch the movie Fletch Lives.  Nothing does quick-hitting humor as well as that movie.  Watching it should help get your brain in the right gear.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #715 on: July 02, 2019, 01:25:14 PM »
Jumping in.

2351 on book 3 of my steampunk series, just starting things off. It's always fun in the beginning. Didn't get to my edits of book 2, really need to just finish those last few chapters, so I will make an effort tomorrow. ARC readers chomping at the bit.

650 or so on a pirate cat mermaid short story for an anthology submission.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #716 on: July 02, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »

Congrats!

And you have me intrigued with this one!  :smilie_zauber:

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

Maggie Ann

« Reply #717 on: July 03, 2019, 12:38:33 AM »
Jumping in.

2351 on book 3 of my steampunk series, just starting things off. It's always fun in the beginning. Didn't get to my edits of book 2, really need to just finish those last few chapters, so I will make an effort tomorrow. ARC readers chomping at the bit.

Welcome to the thread. And congrats on the wordage.

I think I wrote some good words this morning. Advanced both the mystery and romance aspects with 1064 words. I'll be adding just another sentence or two because something else occurred to me on the way home.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #718 on: July 03, 2019, 12:39:19 AM »

Congrats!

And you have me intrigued with this one!  :smilie_zauber:

Yeah, just what is a pirate cat mermaid? Definitely intriguing.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #719 on: July 03, 2019, 06:30:28 AM »
Wrote 1,015 words yesterday and 1,455 words today on the lame space opera.  Still mostly rewriting while adding some new content in the mix.  Still not merging well, but getting a better feel for it as I continue rewriting the old content to fit into the new.  Will need a larger rewrite later, but getting it merged and in place will help with that.

Edited eight chapters in the fantasy epic.  Keeps getting longer as I do.  LOL.  So, it will probably stay over 250k in length.  Only forty-three chapters left to go!

diisha392

« Reply #720 on: July 03, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
about 500 words today  :confused:  My motivation slipped away today.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #721 on: July 03, 2019, 01:05:06 PM »
Wrote 1,015 words yesterday and 1,455 words today on the lame space opera.  Still mostly rewriting while adding some new content in the mix.  Still not merging well, but getting a better feel for it as I continue rewriting the old content to fit into the new.  Will need a larger rewrite later, but getting it merged and in place will help with that.

Edited eight chapters in the fantasy epic.  Keeps getting longer as I do.  LOL.  So, it will probably stay over 250k in length.  Only forty-three chapters left to go!

At first I thought you said you added eight chapters. Then I realized that you probably couldn't have done that overnight. Phew. Edited, right.

about 500 words today  :confused:  My motivation slipped away today.

500 is way better than 0. Pat yourself on the back for working through your lack of motivation.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #722 on: July 04, 2019, 12:59:01 AM »
Once again, I was forced by circumstance to have breakfast out while I waited for something in the area. I'm thinking I should always have my AlphaSmart with me when I leave the house just in case a writing opportunity arises.

So, 1029 words this morning, but I think I came up with this clue to early. I'll see if I can work around it or if I need to plop it in three or four chapters down the road.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #723 on: July 04, 2019, 02:11:23 AM »
Thank for the welcome! Meant to come back yesterday to say I finished editing book 2 and got another 1800 words on book 3.

Anyway, I'm writing a story for an anthology themed "swashbuckling cats" aka any ocean-going felines. I've always wanted to write a pirate/mermaid romance. So I'm sort of doing Treasure Island meets The Little mermaid with lesbian cats. I'm trying to think of a good name for the mermaid cats. I didn't like purrmaid, so right now I'm going with merkitty. Wanted something gender neutral so I didn't need a separate term for the boys. Half the characters are merkitties, the other half are regular cats who are pirates.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #724 on: July 04, 2019, 03:21:49 AM »
Editing . . .

"He folded his arms over his shoulders."

How does one do that?   :hug:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #725 on: July 04, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »
Reached the halfway point (in chapter numbers, not necessarily word count) in editing the fantasy epic.

And wrote 1,200 words in the lame space opera.  Er, rewrote.  Whatever.

diisha392

« Reply #726 on: July 04, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »
1028 today

Maggie Ann

« Reply #727 on: July 05, 2019, 01:37:57 AM »
Must have been in the zone today. Wrote 2003.

diisha392

« Reply #728 on: July 05, 2019, 06:17:27 AM »
Must have been in the zone today. Wrote 2003.

Awesome work!

5k run this morning and now 1K written

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #729 on: July 05, 2019, 02:45:35 PM »
Wrote (or rewrote) 1,220 words yesterday.

Edited five chapters, I think, in the fantasy epic.

RJRugroden

« Reply #730 on: July 06, 2019, 05:20:01 AM »
Wrote 3k today. Yay!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #731 on: July 06, 2019, 06:11:10 AM »
Wrote 3k today. Yay!
Wow! Well done.  :smilie_zauber:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #732 on: July 06, 2019, 07:17:09 AM »
Wrote 3k today. Yay!

Great! Now I don't have to since you did enough for both of us. Kidding!

I had this great plan. I had tons of errands to run and other stuff to do around the house. One of my errands was AT&T and I've never just walked in there and gotten taken care of. Figured I'd sit and write while I waited. Nope. They were all just sitting around waiting for me. Piffle.

But there's always tomorrow when I, too, might write 3K words.  :tap

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #733 on: July 06, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
Wrote 1,025 words today in the lame space opera and edited five chapters in the fantasy epic.  Only 22 chapters left to edit!

Also wrote 500-600 words in the other space opera.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #734 on: July 06, 2019, 08:30:55 AM »
500 words in book 3...hope to do more tonight!   :catrun

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #735 on: July 06, 2019, 10:28:34 AM »
I was sick the last two days. Wrote 2786 today.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #736 on: July 07, 2019, 06:11:50 AM »
Another 1k words last night.  Hoping to find time to write that much today!  :angel:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #737 on: July 07, 2019, 07:54:05 AM »
1759 today. I had hoped for 2K and I would have made that and more, but stormy weather intervened. Had to scoot home ahead of the rain.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #738 on: July 07, 2019, 09:46:31 AM »
Three chapters of the fantasy epic edited and 1,400 words written in the lame space opera, plus 297 words written in the regular space opera.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #739 on: July 07, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »
Three chapters of the fantasy epic edited and 1,400 words written in the lame space opera, plus 297 words written in the regular space opera.

How do you keep it all straight?

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #740 on: July 07, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
I was out most of the day. Wrote 334 words.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #741 on: July 08, 2019, 01:09:42 AM »
Wrote 1667 this morning, but then I added a bit when I had to make some corrections.

The story is moving too fast again. I'm up to a total of 17.5K words and I need to hit at least 50K. At this rate, I'll have the mystery solved by the end of the week without reaching my goal.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #742 on: July 08, 2019, 01:16:11 AM »

How do you keep it all straight?

I don't know.  Three different books, three different sets of characters.  I guess it's not unlike following the plot lines of multiple TV shows.

I might put the lame space opera on the backburner though.  I'm just not getting it to work out well.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #743 on: July 08, 2019, 01:17:31 AM »
The story is moving too fast again. I'm up to a total of 17.5K words and I need to hit at least 50K. At this rate, I'll have the mystery solved by the end of the week without reaching my goal.

Add in a character that's a moron and keeps messing things up.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #744 on: July 08, 2019, 04:52:53 AM »
Wrote 1667 this morning, but then I added a bit when I had to make some corrections.

Add a romance?  Maybe an obstacle to finding the next clue?  Have fun with the story!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #745 on: July 08, 2019, 05:32:45 AM »

Add in a character that's a moron and keeps messing things up.

That might work. One of the three friends is kind of a dingbat and clumsy to boot. She might do very nicely.

Add a romance?  Maybe an obstacle to finding the next clue?  Have fun with the story!

Already is a romance and I keep going back and forth with that. I'm genetically incapable of writing anything without a romance in it.  :kiss:

There are four main characters and my goal is a four book series. Two men have also popped up in the story that will do for two of the friends and I'm sure another one will poke his head out of the woodwork soon.

The last mystery/romance series I wrote consisted of 50 pages, 114 pages, 91 pages and 101 pages, and it's my best seller. The bundle is 309 pages and hardly sells at all. Maybe I should just stick to what works. I'm already at novella length (barely), and if I stop worrying about how many words/pages I need, the story will end when it's supposed to end.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #746 on: July 08, 2019, 07:00:02 AM »
"The fence stood nearly teen feet high . . ."

Unless it's formed with bodies, this is a typo.  :hehe

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #747 on: July 08, 2019, 08:20:00 AM »
Five chapters edited (only fifteen chapters to go!) and 1,465 words written in the lame space opera.

And 41 words written in the regular space opera.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #748 on: July 08, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
Five chapters edited (only fifteen chapters to go!) and 1,465 words written in the lame space opera.

Just can't walk away, can you.  :tap

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #749 on: July 08, 2019, 10:49:57 AM »

Just can't walk away, can you.  :tap

It's a terrible, terrible train wreck and I'm in the middle of it.  Hard to walk away from that unless you're David Dunn.