Author Topic: Over two million book titles published just this year.  (Read 2880 times)

Tonyonline

Over two million book titles published just this year.
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:34:17 PM »
See Book stats - Worldometers. And increasing every minute.
Amazing huh? Maybe not the worlds a big place.

But what I did think was quite amazing is that according to justpublishingadvice a new Kindle e-book is published every five minutes, now that's a lot.

I did try to find out what are the most popular fiction genres, but after finding this from last year on publishedtodeath I gave up.

Anyhow. I'd imagine many of you know all this already, but for those who don't, it makes for an interesting read.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:36:46 PM by Tonyonline »

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Over two million book titles published just this year.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:02:03 AM »
It's unfortunate that the Worldometer data is based on Unesco information that in most cases goes back to 2011 or earlier. It's probably even higher now.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Re: Over two million book titles published just this year.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:13:39 AM »
The definition of "published" has changed a lot. Now anyone can take a Word doc, publish it and call it a book. That doesn't mean it's a book, or even of book length.

Lots of pamphlets, small how-to books the size of novelettes, and other specialty items. Many are scraped content of garbage, thrown up in hopes of getting some sucker to buy a copy every month or two, and not bother to return. Do that times 1000 and you have a living in many parts of the world.

Of those which are books, a tiny fraction have commercial potential. Most will never go anywhere. Many are poorly written memoirs published primarily for family.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: ragdoll, Jo