Author Topic: I HATE Page Flip!  (Read 3846 times)

Mammasan

I HATE Page Flip!
« on: October 26, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
I quit KU a year ago, and today I get a flippin' one pager!  :rant

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: I HATE Page Flip!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 01:17:29 PM »
This could mean the person actually opened it for the first time, and hasn't actually started reading it yet.

If you get no reads for the next week, then you can yell page flip.

But every book in KU gets that 1 page read to start with when the book is opened the first time. Just most of the time you dont see it inside all the reading.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

sassybeewriter

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 07:28:57 PM »
 Page flip is the devil
My avatar is by Rachel Quinlan

The following users thanked this post: angela

Mark Gardner

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 10:14:17 PM »
The debil I say. Just another tactic to short the author whenever possible. I've never heard from anyone who prefers pageflip. Usually they get there by accident, and just continue reading in that mode. Or, you know, they opened the book to ensure that it had downloaded to their kindle, and plan to read it at a later date.

YouMeWe

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
 :roll:
I quit KU a year ago, and today I get a flippin' one pager!  :rant
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
I have a one-pager in previous month as well. Book was removed from KU a couple of months ago. No further reads on that book.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »
I've never heard from anyone who prefers pageflip.

I did a survey when page flip was really bad.

6% always read in page flip mode.

Another 6% would stay there if it activated.

So yes, there are people who prefer it. Amazon dont want to know about them.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
And now we have Continuous Scroll. I tried it for a few minutes, hated it and turned it off. I wonder how they will pay with that?
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
Moved into Amazon's public area. Maybe some google alerts from this thread will highlight the problem once again.

WasAnn

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »
I read in page flip on my larger tablet for a while when it first came out. Mostly because it was awkward to hold and didn't always register my finger slides well in that position in regular reading. I stopped doing that when I moved to a smaller device for reading. I'm not a KU subscriber, so no reads were harmed by my doing that.

I haven't used scroll yet.

Science Fiction is my game.

MelanieMRodriguez

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 04:57:11 AM »
I read in page flip on my larger tablet for a while when it first came out. Mostly because it was awkward to hold and didn't always register my finger slides well in that position in regular reading. I stopped doing that when I moved to a smaller device for reading. I'm not a KU subscriber, so no reads were harmed by my doing that.

What is page flip? Is it something special on new amazon ereaders? :shrug

Mammasan

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 06:02:52 AM »

What is page flip? Is it something special on new amazon ereaders? :shrug

It is a default feature Amazon introduced into ereaders in 2016. If your book is in KU and the reader reads your book in Page Flip, Amazon will only report and pay you for one page regardless of how many pages the reader actually read.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:05:32 AM by Mammasan »

The following users thanked this post: MelanieMRodriguez

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 12:11:03 PM »
What is page flip? Is it something special on new amazon ereaders?

Page Flip is when you press for a moment on a page, and it pops up a new screen with the page smaller, and half the page on either side showing. You can then scroll left or right much more quickly and easily.

Its also the only way to get back to the booklist, or access the chapter links.

While in that mode, KU pages are not counted or paid.

This came in back in 2016 on some devices, was rolled out to all devices and apps in Aug 2017, and had a major bug in it, which was not removed until early 2018. Amazon never paid out for all the lost pages the bug caused, or ever admitted there was a bug.

The following users thanked this post: MelanieMRodriguez

Mammasan

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »
I disagree it was a bug, but rather an intentional design feature.

And yes, they have admitted it, and no, they have not removed it.

"Hello [Jan Hurst Nicholson],

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Upon careful research, I can see that for your book "Something to Read on the Plane" has the follow KENPC page reads starting from June 19.

June 19 (Amazon.com) -4 page reads
June 20(Amazon.co.uk)-11 page reads
June 21(Amazon.co.uk)-91 page reads

I am sorry to inform that the pages viewed in Page Flip mode do not count toward pages read.

We do not see any material amount of reading happening within this feature, but we will continue to monitor it closely. As intended, we're seeing that customers use Page Flip to explore and navigate in books while automatically saving their place.

I appreciate your understanding on this regards.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP"

Bold added. Date: June 23, 2018

Their statement that they "do not see any material amount of reading happening within [Page Flip]" indicates they can see how many page reads are being read within Page Flip --they just aren't then reporting them to the authors and paying for them.

But oh, they appreciate our understanding of them not paying us as per our contracts' terms with them. But no worries, they are monitoring this closely  --yeah, for two years, and countless author complaints.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:54:34 AM by Mammasan »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »
I disagree it was a bug, but rather an intentional design feature.

It was a design feature introduced by the hardware department, without consulting the KU department.

And included in the implementation was a giant bug.

It took them more than 6 months to find and fix the bug, after which 30% down in reads, became about 6%, which is consistent with surveys of who uses page flip mode to read. A 6% loss is acceptable where a 30% loss was not.

The change on devices and apps to 'close the book', before opening another one, was a bug fix. Up until then, reads were being wiped by people going back to the start of the book from the end using page flip, and the reads were then lost when the next book was opened. Also seemed to happen when a book wasn't finished because a better one came along part way through. Now the close book button effectively ensures the read count is pushed up the system before a new book gets begun, even if the device is not online.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »
I don’t know whether it was due to Page Flip or not, but I had 1 page read yesterday - on a book that’s been wide and permafree since August 2015!

The following users thanked this post: Mammasan