Author Topic: Smashwords surprises  (Read 2415 times)

DmGuay

Smashwords surprises
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:36:15 AM »
I recently took my trilogy wide. I signed up for Smashwords, ONLY so I could distribute through Smashwords. Another site to reach readers, right?

I logged in to my account yesterday only to discover they'd added my book to a "premium" catalog and had started distributing it to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, etc. I had registered sales there. But I am direct to those sites, ergo don't want Smashwords distributing there and taking a cut. I am fairly certain I opted to only put my books up via Smashwords, but for some reason, I don't know if it's automatic with premium catalog or there was an error, they were distributing to sites to which I am already direct.

Long story short. Go back and double check your settings!

D.M. Guay | Web site

notthatamanda

Re: Smashwords surprises
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:49:11 AM »
I've never found a way to set which sales channels I want on Smashwords before I publish.  I always have to publish, then unclick them.  It's annoying.
If anyone knows how to do that, let me know.

On the other hand, the keyword selection choices they give me are...interesting.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 02:44:46 PM »
If you publish without an ISBN, they won't distribute wide.  So, you can publish, then untick the channels, and then grab a free ISBN for your ebook.

I've been using smashwords for years now, becuase it used to be the only way Aussies could publish to Apple and B&N. I know we can go direct now, but the thought of updating two MORE sets of files when I make a change to a cover or something doesn't appeal.

One thing I do with Smashwords which saves me a lot of headaches: I publish my epub to Kobo first, make sure it's 100% accepted, then publish that same epub to Smashwords. I don't bother uploading a doc/docx file, avoiding the Smashwords conversion process. That thing used to push me over the edge from time to time.

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
Huh, that's exactly opposite my experience.  I never used an ISBN and they always publish it everywhere.  The first time it showed up on Kobo as two separate listings and I had to ask Kobo.  They told me they were getting it from Smashwords.  Maybe it only ended up on Kobo?  I don't know, it freaked me out at the time though.

I'll have to look at it, and see where they assigned ISBN numbers.  I didn't realize this was a way to get a free ISBN.  Simon, do you then put the ISBN number on all the other channels you use?

I can't publish at B&N or Apple so I use D2D for that.  I kind of like the Smashwords conversion process as the final check for the book.  And I'll be forever grateful for their Styles guide.

Thanks for the info.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 08:41:00 PM »
No, as far as I remember you can only use the smashwords ISBN for the books published there (and shared with other stores via Smashwords.)

Kobo and Amazon don't use an ISBN, so maybe that's why it got published to one of them without one?

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »
That makes sense, thanks.  I wonder if you put your own ISBN number on it when you publish it on Smashwords if the other companies would reject it because they already have that number.   I'm not going to test that though, I'll just hit publish and sit there waiting for it to go live so I can uncheck all the boxes.

DmGuay

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
Sounds like this is actually a thing and it's not only me!

I was able to go back in and uncheck distribution. When setting up, I was pretty meticulous about choosing channels and not opting for anything wide, other than D2D for Apple. Oh well. Now I know!

D.M. Guay | Web site

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:36 PM »
I used to let Smashwords distribute to the other stores. But earlier this year I decided to go direct to B&N, Apple, and Kobo. All I need for those three is the EPUB file and the cover JPG file. The one quirk up to now has been that B&N requires a lower sized JPG file than the others. It’s a little extra work, but I can ditch the file once the book is approved there and just keep the main cover file.

Mammasan

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 12:42:39 AM »
Could somebody post instructions for how, on Smashwords, you get to the page where you can uncheck distribution channels? I can't find it. Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: DmGuay

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 12:57:07 AM »
As far as I know, it doesn't show up until you publish. 
On your dashboard there is a Distribution and Metadata management tab
First choice under that is channel manager.
Scroll all the way down on the channel manager, the books should show up and you can opt out of every channel for each book.

Mammasan

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 01:28:47 AM »
Thank you. (I hadn't been scrolling down far enough.)

notthatamanda

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 01:52:46 AM »
Yeah, they put the stuff you actually need at the bottom.  Glad I could help.

DmGuay

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 04:05:41 AM »
Could somebody post instructions for how, on Smashwords, you get to the page where you can uncheck distribution channels? I can't find it. Thanks!

Okay. Sign in, and go to dashboard.
Under Distribution and Channel Management (The second column) click on Channel manager.
Once there, scroll way down and you'll see all of your titles and the distribution channels approved for each. Check/uncheck what you want, then click Save Changes

D.M. Guay | Web site

The following users thanked this post: Mammasan