Author Topic: Where do I put my back matter to beat Amazon pop-up?  (Read 1475 times)

Astrid Torquay

Where do I put my back matter to beat Amazon pop-up?
« on: October 04, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »
I'm formatting my (first) ebook in Vellum.

In my back matter, I will include short summaries of future books with newsletter sign-up links. But I want this to appear before the standard Amazon pop-up of leave-a-review-and-here-are-some-other-books.

Does the Amazon pop-up happen at the end of the last chapter and before other elements (e.g. Author's note, Also by)? Or does it come after all of those?

That is, should my back matter (1) form part of the final chapter; or (2) be in a new "Also by" element at the end?

Patty Jansen talks about this in Self-Publishing Unboxed:
"The most important piece of real estate in your back matter is immediately following the end of the book, and before the page header of the About the Author section" -- which would suggestion Option 1.

And then she writes:
"Amazon has the very annoying habit of inserting its own recommendation page immediately after the end of the book. ... Simply re-uploading the book file will take care of this."
-- I don't understand what this means...

Ghost5

Re: Where do I put my back matter to beat Amazon pop-up?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:12:43 AM »
Hi! I'm not sure what the re-uploading comment means. But I do believe the Amazon pop-up occurs immediately after the final chapter. So, I tag a small message (a call to action, like a sign-up option or a link to the next book in series) immediately after the end of my book and so before the chapter 'ends'.

My author's note and other books by author lists come after, but that's okay as far as I'm concerned--people can see them in the TOC and click to link or just close the Amazon pop-up and keep reading for that stuff.

The following users thanked this post: Astrid Torquay

guest14

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:34:58 AM »
I've found just a line or two at the point where it says 'The End' is sufficient. Usually a mention of the next book in the series with thanks.

When I come across a 10% left in the book reserved for Yawn! backmattter, I just switch off and don't even get to the pop-up to rate it.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Astrid Torquay

Astrid Torquay

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:17:06 AM »
Thank you for your replies. These have given me an idea for how to deal with this.

I know it is not an exciting question, but these little things do perplex me.