Author Topic: Book series add ons  (Read 1499 times)

alhawke

Book series add ons
« on: November 29, 2020, 01:25:24 AM »
As I'm researching and planning a future book series release, I'm considering adding a prequel novella. I figure a prequel of around 120 pages might sweeten the deal for readers. It could even help sales for people who've already purchased other books in the trilogy. Do any of you add anything to your series package? Or do you just release the series on its own?

After the series is released I could then sell the additional prequel separately at a reduced price and use a new series cover for the prequel ?? :icon_think:

idontknowyet

Re: Book series add ons
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 02:27:56 AM »
why not make it a reader magnet  and offer it for free on book funnel?

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 02:42:38 AM »
I'm planning on doing this, but with a short story. With the new series page options on Amazon you will supposedly be able to link prequels and related books. I plan on using it as a reader magnet, but maybe having it available for purchase on Amazon as well, maybe. I don't know if it will work.

I'm interested in seeing what other people say about it.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 03:04:53 AM »
They say you can link prequels, but they don't show up on the actual series page, and there was no link.

It might be a feature which hasn't been implemented yet.

I tried it, found no sign of them, and put them on their own series page instead.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

alhawke

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 03:43:27 AM »
why not make it a reader magnet  and offer it for free on book funnel?
Yes, I'd definitely consider that too in the future after its release. Thanks!
I'm planning on doing this, but with a short story. With the new series page options on Amazon you will supposedly be able to link prequels and related books.
They say you can link prequels, but they don't show up on the actual series page, and there was no link.
Thanks, guys. I would like to link it in the future on Amazon, but what I'm talking about is selling a trilogy, or a quadrilogy in this case, for $9.99 inclusive of all four books before the prequel is sent out separate. Anotherwords, use a prequel to make a series boxset more desirable & sellable. I haven't written the prequel yet, and actually fear writing novellas and short stories as I'm used to novels, but I know I could get to work if you all think it's a viable idea. Otherwise, I rather spend my time writing new books and other stories.

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 05:29:08 AM »
I don't know what works and what doesn't but I'm willing to share my plan. In book 2 of my series my MC writes a short story and gets it published in a magazine. I'm going to write the short story as me writing as her. It's going to be a bonus for people who sign up for my mailing list. I'll put links at the end of the book to do that. I may put it in KU for the first three months for some extra visibility, I don't know, I'm very fuzzy on the details right now.

If you have a burning desire to tell the prequel then I would say go for it no matter what.

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »
I'm planning to sometime do a box set with the first three books in one series and include the novella that currently is only available as a reader magnet. It's not a prequel or a sequel (there's been some talk lately of authors writing long epilogues that they make available only to people who sign up for their newsletters). The novella's action spans books 2 and 3 of the series. But even saying this, I realize that I'll need a new reader magnet before doing the box set. Whoops. To the back burner. So, yes, people do add previously unavailable or unwritten stories to box sets to sweeten the deal. In my case, the series is in KU and the box set would be, too, which is why I'd want to withdraw it from being only a reader magnet.

alhawke

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »
In book 2 of my series my MC writes a short story and gets it published in a magazine. I'm going to write the short story as me writing as her. It's going to be a bonus for people who sign up for my mailing list.

If you have a burning desire to tell the prequel then I would say go for it no matter what.
That sounds like a good idea for drumming up interest with readers.

For my series, I don't have a desire for a prequel, so much as I wonder if it will help with marketing. But like most marketing things, it probably depends on a lot variables.

The decision can help with other factors too. Covers for instance. Some create a new cover just for a series. Others just use their old covers as a collage or a 3D rendition. I pay for covers by an artist. If I choose a new cover and then use the same artwork on a later prequel release, that could help with cost. I don't know.

If I develop enough interest artistically in a prequel, of course, I might do it anyway. I'm still unsure.

alhawke

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 01:07:05 PM »
In my case, the series is in KU and the box set would be, too, which is why I'd want to withdraw it from being only a reader magnet.
I didn't even think of the KU factor here. Certainly for you KU folks, additional material benefits a series. All my books are wide currently.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 02:26:25 PM »
I have a short or a novella (also available separately) included with each of my Hal Spacejock box sets.

The prequel novel was a magnet for about 6 months, and then I changed tack and published it wide so I could make it a permafree. Unfortunately I can't insert it as book zero in the series, but when they get to the end of the prequel there's a link to book one, so it's all good.

I found out a few promo sites will accept a novella (mine's about 35k words), but the danger is that Amazon could revert it to paid at any moment. It's happened already way more often than I like, to the extent that I have a ready-to-go copy and paste file where I can request a price match for specific markets yet again.