Author Topic: It's the EU again  (Read 828 times)

LilyBLily

It's the EU again
« on: September 16, 2022, 10:08:16 AM »
Just got this from Apple today:

Dear ____,

Following the introduction of the EU Omnibus Directive (2019/2161), which is focused on consumer protection legislation, you may be subject to corresponding obligations in certain affected countries. If you sell books in the EU, whether you’re located there or not, this Directive affects you. As such, Apple now enables you to add a URL in iTunes Connect as a means to provide contact and other information as required by the Directive.

In accordance with the Directive, the URL you provide must link to a website that contains the following minimum requirements: valid contact information with a legal address, email address, and telephone number. Please specify the entire URL, including the protocol (for example, https://support.example.com).

To enter your contact support URL:

Sign in to iTunes Connect.
    Click Agreements, Tax, and Banking.
    Select the Legal Entity tab, then click Add Link under Support URL. A window will appear with Legal Entity fields.
    Enter your Support URL, then click the Add button on the bottom-right corner.

The URL will appear on each title’s product page in all territories where the law is in effect.

If you have any questions related to this new URL, contact us. Any legal questions should be discussed with your counsel.

Best regards,

The Apple Books Team

:lalala

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: It's the EU again
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 11:37:47 AM »
New smilie needed: Confused look with WTF? over it.

That looks like a phish email to me.

No author is going want to specify a phone number fans can get hold of easily. Or an address. Or be forced to get a PO Box just to supply an address.

That's BS of the highest order.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Wonder

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »
Do you sell on Apple via Draft2Digital or directly?

Cobbah

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 04:38:14 PM »
It's a narrow area of application.

"The Omnibus Directive applies to traders engaged in online B2C transactions as well as to companies offering digital content or digital services to consumers “for free”, i.e. without any payment but in exchange for personal data. "

As Apple doesn't share any data with you this won't apply. Also, you're maybe not a company or trader.

As to whether you need to fill in the 'legal entity' section as an author, or not is a question of interpretation, I'd ignore it until such time as there's no choice, and then demand clarification from Apple regarding their understanding of the legislation. I certainly wouldn't put ANY personal contact details in the public domain as this breaches your human rights within EU law.

I would at the very least check the authenticity of that email and the legitimacy of the demand.

Addendum

As it might well be construed that you are the third party, you could easily place the Apple link to your book within that field. Apple is the party directly concerned not you. It then requires Apple to supply all the support information (as per) and allows you to continue to remain removed from the direct contact form required. It is Apple's responsibility to maintain all the legal requirements such as validating reviews etc.,

I think someone in Apple is working beyond their capacity to understand the requirements and implementation.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:46:32 PM by Cobbah »

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, djmills

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 06:02:40 AM »
No other signature.

Here's the email address it came from:

iTunes Connect<do_not_reply@email.apple.com>

I think it's legit all right, but Cobbah probably has the right of it, that it does not apply.

If any company demanded a phone number, I would give them 555-1212. Or maybe 634-5789. :hehe

I'm not really interested in making the EU happy.

The following users thanked this post: djmills

She-la-te-da

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 05:17:23 AM »
Why would Apple be sharing any data with us, outside of having made a sale? We don't run that kind of business.

Oh, well. I guess I don't need Apple. Can't remember the last time I sold anything there anyway. Hoped to in the future, but good grief. I'm not giving phone numbers, addresses or anything like that so people I don't know can be bothering me all the time. I get enough robo calls as it is (especially from those trying to sell me Medicare insurance now that I'm getting close to 65).
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 01:53:50 PM »
I don't know what the callers here want. I am bemused by the names and towns the scammers fake on Caller ID, but I never pick up.

:dizzy

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 11:08:50 PM »
Oh they always say they are calling from my town and then I have to pick up in case it is someone at the school.

LilyBLily

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 12:21:18 AM »
Oh they always say they are calling from my town and then I have to pick up in case it is someone at the school.

We don't have to worry about school (yes, those calls strike terror into the heart). We're reasonably certain that any legitimate caller will leave a message.

The scammers apparently can't drill down very well, as many calls supposedly come from hundreds of miles away in our state. We look at the town names on the Caller ID and laugh.