Author Topic: 3d book covers  (Read 2631 times)

Simon Haynes

3d book covers
« on: September 20, 2018, 04:06:13 PM »
Not sure if this should go under cover artists or elsewhere, but my eldest daughter works as a 3D modeler, animator, rigger and so on. She's working four jobs right now AND studying full time at uni ... but even so, I told her there could be a demand around here for turning book covers into 3D images.
She's interested, as a sideline, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I don't have an example book because she hasn't done one yet. (The ones in my sig are my own 3D efforts using Blender.)
But, if there's any interest I'll pass it on. I believe there's a site where you can DIY, but some people don't have the time or patience for that.

Mark Gardner

Re: 3d book covers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:37:17 AM »
Not sure if this should go under cover artists or elsewhere, but my eldest daughter works as a 3D modeler, animator, rigger and so on. She's working four jobs right now AND studying full time at uni ... but even so, I told her there could be a demand around here for turning book covers into 3D images.
She's interested, as a sideline, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I don't have an example book because she hasn't done one yet. (The ones in my sig are my own 3D efforts using Blender.)
But, if there's any interest I'll pass it on. I believe there's a site where you can DIY, but some people don't have the time or patience for that.
My oldest came to me yesterday and asked for permission to take a fun course at college, like a Blender class. I reminded him that he's an adult, and he can take whatever courses he wants as long as I don;t have to pay for them...

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:50:39 AM »
My oldest came to me yesterday and asked for permission to take a fun course at college, like a Blender class. I reminded him that he's an adult, and he can take whatever courses he wants as long as I don;t have to pay for them...

SAME!  Aside from studying full time she's also taking some online course run by an ex-Disney guy or somesuch.  Seemed expensive to me, but she's loving every minute AND she's paying for it. So yay!
I love blender but she uses Maya because ... work.
(I installed Blender through Steam because it keeps it up to date for me.)

Mark Gardner

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 01:56:46 AM »

SAME!  Aside from studying full time she's also taking some online course run by an ex-Disney guy or somesuch.  Seemed expensive to me, but she's loving every minute AND she's paying for it. So yay!
I love blender but she uses Maya because ... work.
(I installed Blender through Steam because it keeps it up to date for me.)
yep yep. He's already got his Additive Manufacturing Technician certificate, now he's working on his Computer Networking Technology degree. I'm currently researching grant option so that I can finally finish my graduate degree.

WasAnn

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
You should get her to make a couple of toss them up! So many books that got the covers made more than a couple of years ago need them, but the cover artists aren't around anymore or what not.

Science Fiction is my game.

NA Punk

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
I don't know how big the demand for that is. There are photoshop actions you can download for free that will do it automatically. For example, I used one to get the 3D cover for this image:

The Whims of War (The Law of Eight - Book 4): 3% Completed
Nicholas Andrews | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Maggie Ann

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 12:24:17 PM »
I don't know how big the demand for that is. There are photoshop actions you can download for free that will do it automatically. For example, I used one to get the 3D cover for this image:

I did mine with GIMP. None of my books have them anymore because of vendors like Apple who won't allow them.