Author Topic: Series links and author central - AU, CA and others?  (Read 3454 times)

VanessaC

Series links and author central - AU, CA and others?
« on: June 23, 2019, 07:43:25 PM »
Morning!

These feels like total newbie questions, and I'm sure must have been asked / answered elsewhere, but my Google-fu has deserted me today.

I've noticed that although my first series is nicely linked and presented as a series on some stores - UK, COM (US) and DE for example - it doesn't appear as a series on others - AU, CA and FR for example.

On reading the KDP information pages, it looks like series linking might not be available on those other stores.  This seems weird to me so was wondering if anyone else has had success in series linking outside the UK and US stores?

Also, I'm only using Author Central / Author Page for UK and US but checking my "author page" on CA this morning, it's got a list of books there that aren't mine and which I could easily fix if there's a Canadian Author Central page. Again, does anyone know if you can have Author Pages for stores outside the UK and US?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Genre: Fantasy

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Series links and author central - AU, CA and others?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 08:05:07 PM »
I just had a look at the CA store, and clicked the author name.

What came up is not an author page, but a search result. And Amazon's search always returns a lot of junk.

As far as I'm aware, author pages are only on 1 store, either US or UK. Not both. Just the one you use first.

I don't think they do series pages for the other stores either. Just US and UK as far as I can see.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

VanessaC

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 11:22:04 PM »

What came up is not an author page, but a search result. And Amazon's search always returns a lot of junk.

As far as I'm aware, author pages are only on 1 store, either US or UK. Not both. Just the one you use first.

I don't think they do series pages for the other stores either. Just US and UK as far as I can see.

Thanks - I do have access to Author Central UK and US, perhaps because I'm UK-based? But Amazon works in mysterious ways.

On the series pages, thank you - I thought I was going a bit crazy trying to work this out earlier!

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:10:06 AM »

Wouldn't it be nice if the separate country stores, which are still part of the same company, after all, behaved in somewhat the same fashion? What's the point of having series pages on some stores and not others?

It's also annoying that Amazon does series pages in such an inefficient way. Not every series gets a page, and every time a book is added, the page has to be rebuilt from scratch. Smashwords did series pages first and in a way that made it easier for them to be updated.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Simon Haynes

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:14:40 AM »
There are author pages for the DE and FR stores, because I logged in there and set mine up (I speak basic french and can read extremely basic german). There's a JP one too I think, but I can't make head nor tail of that one. Don't think there's an ES one, which is a shame because I DO speak spanish. ;-)

To access the UK author central you have to go in via Amazon.co.uk - but if you're using AMS in the UK, you have to use a different email from that account's email address to log in.

Having said that, recently I've noticed that adding books to my US author central also adds them in the uk (and I can no longer edit book details on the UK store.) So perhaps they are now linked in some way.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, VanessaC

VanessaC

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 06:28:13 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice if the separate country stores, which are still part of the same company, after all, behaved in somewhat the same fashion?

So much this!

Particularly frustrating as when I do manage to get readers into the series they seem to want to continue, so it would be rather lovely if there was a neat and easy way for them to navigate through the series ...

VanessaC

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
There are author pages for the DE and FR stores, because I logged in there and set mine up (I speak basic french and can read extremely basic german). There's a JP one too I think, but I can't make head nor tail of that one. Don't think there's an ES one, which is a shame because I DO speak spanish. ;-)

To access the UK author central you have to go in via Amazon.co.uk - but if you're using AMS in the UK, you have to use a different email from that account's email address to log in.

Having said that, recently I've noticed that adding books to my US author central also adds them in the uk (and I can no longer edit book details on the UK store.) So perhaps they are now linked in some way.

Ah - it's probably just as well I can't work out the author pages outside the UK / US, then, as my brain doesn't really deal with anything apart from English (and I studied French all through school - can't speak a word of it now!). But it would be lovely to be able to set this up in AU / CA stores.

On an unrelated side note, I did once manage to change the operating language of a new piece of software to Korean by accident, and had to send a very sheepish email to the online support asking them to switch it back to English as I couldn't work out how to do it.  :icon_redface:

Simon Haynes

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 07:53:51 PM »
The annoying thing is, I have a 5-star review on the first book in my series on the CA store, and they included a comment saying 'I wish he'd written more of these'.

There were 7 more available when they posted the review, they just couldn't see them!

Silly Amazon, throwing away free money.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
Silly Amazon, throwing away free money.

I can't figure that out either.

Amazon seems to be run by people who think they make money through selling advertising, not selling product.

So the whole sell the product thing has gone to hell. And with it, the ability for people to find what they want.

Actually its a sad reflection of the world. It's all about getting people to spend huge amounts of money on advertising products people dont want, and making it hard for the products people do want but don't get advertised.

The whole world is arse end around these days.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.