Author Topic: Article: Is it worth paying $7,500 to have your book published? Maybe  (Read 2669 times)

German Translator

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/books/is-it-worth-paying-7500-to-have-your-book-published-maybe

Rather rose-colored view of vanity presses. Mentions successes, but no statistics on what the average book published by vanity presses sells. Barely mentions ebooks or print-on-demand ("That’s a tough road.")

Just a few of the books I have translated (English <-> German)

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Re: Article: Is it worth paying $7,500 to have your book published? Maybe
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 03:52:28 AM »
Wonder how much money the vanity press industry slipped Ms. Lane to write that...
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da, JRTomlin

Tiffmeister

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 04:43:59 PM »
The tougher road doesn't cost $7,500. I just self-published my novella for $60 betareader fee, $160 editor fee, $70 copy editor. $50 for the cover, because I bought three together for a series. ($150, but I have covers for the next two novellas).

I have cut costs way down using the online editing on Draft2Digital. FREE!!!!! (Used to cost $99-$150) I was this close to buying Vellum.

That's a total of $340 for the cost of a 20k novella.

Maybe the 7K is for the marketing.

I wonder what the sales are from that. ;-)

-Tiff

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »
The tougher road doesn't cost $7,500. I just self-published my novella for $60 betareader fee, $160 editor fee, $70 copy editor. $50 for the cover, because I bought three together for a series. ($150, but I have covers for the next two novellas).

I have cut costs way down using the online editing on Draft2Digital. FREE!!!!! (Used to cost $99-$150) I was this close to buying Vellum.

-Tiff
What is the online editing at Draft2Digital?

Doglover

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
I can't read that as it says it's not available in my region. Can't take English sarcasm I expect!   :dog1:

Anyway, it reminds me of a company who was arguing with us on the kdp forum some years ago. They kept posting blogposts about self-publishing to prove their way was best. Only trouble was, they were talking about vanity publishing and seemed to never have heard of kdp or POD.

ilamont

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 01:41:27 AM »
I think there are lots of authors out there for whom self-publishing is not an option. It requires being able to use new desktop and online software applications (or being willing to learn) and that's a tall order for some, even for software like Word. Others don't have the time, or can't find a small press to accept their work, and just want someone to take their manuscript and deal with all of the production and editing steps. Believe it or not, there are many authors who are not focused on sales, but rather the dream of being a published author and getting their ideas/stories out to the world, even if the audience is limited.

I think there are some legitimate service providers filling that need, and doing so for reasonable prices considering the amount of work required. I contract out services with separate vendors like developmental editors, copy editors, cover designers, and paginators, but if I didn't have that knowledge or network, a company offering a package of services would be a real convenience and a fair deal ... as long as it's priced right. 

Then there are the scam firms who are utterly taking advantage of new authors. I was at a publishing conference this weekend and someone from IngramSpark told the story of an author who came up to her booth at the American Library Association annual convention and said that his "publisher" was charging $15,000 to include his book in the Ingram database. "How much would it cost if I did it on my own?" Her response: "It would cost $49 for a new title in IngramSpark."
I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

The following users thanked this post: RBC

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 01:44:22 AM »
And currently there is a coupon code: Use Promo Code NANO2020 before March 31, 2020, for free title upload on print books, ebooks, or both. Ingram says you don't have to be doing NaNoWriMo to do the free upload.

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 01:57:09 AM »
Then there are the scam firms who are utterly taking advantage of new authors. I was at a publishing conference this weekend and someone from IngramSpark told the story of an author who came up to her booth at the American Library Association annual convention and said that his "publisher" was charging $15,000 to include his book in the Ingram database. "How much would it cost if I did it on my own?" Her response: "It would cost $49 for a new title in IngramSpark."
Holy -!  But, if you hand off all the publishing to someone, if you don't know enough, they own the text and cover files, so publishing on your own with Ingram would set you back to square one.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 05:08:34 AM »

-Tiff
What is the online editing at Draft2Digital?
I think what was meant was online formatting. D2D does have formatting tools that create a nice looking ebook layout. I'm not sure if all the features are the same, but the idea is similar to Vellum. The free part would be an incentive, as would ease of use for those who don't have a Mac.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 08:14:05 AM »
Yes I use their formatting and love the free epub files that they let us have. 

pattmayne

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 05:22:24 AM »
I'd run away from that, and fast!

If I had that much money to spend on a title, I'd spend $3000 on GREAT cover art and editing, another $2000 on promotion, and keep the rest.

They're not going to increase the quality of your book OR increase the sales.

If you're self-publishing, hire good editors and cover artists, learn to do the formatting yourself, and spend the rest of the money on marketing.
Absurdist / Horror / Science Fiction

The following users thanked this post: DCRWrites