Author Topic: What just changed on Amazon about Reviews and Ratings?  (Read 7235 times)

LilyBLily

Re: What just changed on Amazon about Reviews and Ratings?
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »
A review finally showed up on my new book, so maybe it's just, I don't know...the change of the seasons?

I wrote a review fairly recently and it was up almost within the hour. God only knows what's up with Amazon from day to day or minute to minute.

I wouldn't have gotten so involved about my own reviews on that other thread if a couple of people hadn't emailed me expressing their frustration.

notthatamanda

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »
And like a switch being flicked, they stop.

No new ratings for 2 days now.

Got up to 102, and then suddenly, nothing.

Granted, the book has settled out a lot now, but it looks like whatever was going on, ended, and reviews/ratings went back to the way they were before.

:icon_think:  :shrug
102 is great so congratulations!

Hopscotch

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2020, 05:53:10 AM »
No new ratings for 2 days now.  Got up to 102, and then suddenly, nothing.  :icon_think:  :shrug
102 is great so congratulations!

Greedy, greedy, greedy.  No, I'm not jealous. :icon_redface:
. .

LilyBLily

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »
Posted another review on Amazon this afternoon and it went up within the hour. 

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2020, 11:56:01 AM »

No, just confused.

Run away ratings, and then like a switch turned off, none.

Very very confusing.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

RPatton

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2020, 02:27:37 AM »

No, just confused.

Run away ratings, and then like a switch turned off, none.

Very very confusing.

Not really. Amazon runs its storefront with cron jobs. Some have a higher priority than others. Depending on the volume of items in a cron job, it could take Amazon longer than normal to update new files, reviews, and ratings.

When a lot of stuff is happening on the backend, there seems to be anomalies like a surge of ratings and reviews appearing on the front end. The distribution of when those ratings and reviews were made is likely to be completely normal, but due to other things, their appearance on the storefront looks odd.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2020, 02:38:40 AM »
Not really. Amazon runs its storefront with cron jobs. Some have a higher priority than others. Depending on the volume of items in a cron job, it could take Amazon longer than normal to update new files, reviews, and ratings.

When a lot of stuff is happening on the backend, there seems to be anomalies like a surge of ratings and reviews appearing on the front end. The distribution of when those ratings and reviews were made is likely to be completely normal, but due to other things, their appearance on the storefront looks odd.

The sheer number involved is the major variable. So I don't think that's it.

This 1 book got twice the normal number of reviews/ratings inside 2 weeks, as my books normally get in 2 months. It has significantly more than book 1, which has been out most of the year.

There is nothing normal about this.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

RPatton

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2020, 03:37:02 AM »

The sheer number involved is the major variable. So I don't think that's it.

This 1 book got twice the normal number of reviews/ratings inside 2 weeks, as my books normally get in 2 months. It has significantly more than book 1, which has been out most of the year.

There is nothing normal about this.

Except you're discounting Amazon's change from reviews to ratings and the subsequent reminders at the end of every book to leave a rating.

There are a lot of variables involved and dollars to donuts it's usually a combination of variables converging at the right time.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2020, 01:36:25 AM »
I'm not sure I like ratings instead of reviews. I realize the number of ratings/reviews goes up but unless you're paying daily attention to the star number, which I never am, we can't tell if the customer liked or disliked the book. Am I missing something?
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

notthatamanda

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2020, 01:41:20 AM »
No. I got a new rating on my first book a week or so ago. One rating doesn't move the average much once you have a bunch. You have to keep a list of how many 1 through 5 stars you have and compare it and I personally don't have enough motivation to do that.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2020, 02:10:20 AM »
No. I got a new rating on my first book a week or so ago. One rating doesn't move the average much once you have a bunch. You have to keep a list of how many 1 through 5 stars you have and compare it and I personally don't have enough motivation to do that.

That's what I thought too. Oh well, I guess my ego will just have to make do with a rare review.  Grin

notthatamanda

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2020, 04:18:57 AM »
I got a nice 5 star yesterday so I'll sprinkle some luck your way.  :smilie_zauber:

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2020, 04:27:30 AM »

That's what I thought too. Oh well, I guess my ego will just have to make do with a rare review.  Grin

In the early years of publishing I used to keep a book listing ratings and reviews and download the reviews. Soon got over that  :icon_rolleyes:. I rarely check ratings now.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Marti Talbott

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2020, 04:50:43 AM »

In the early years of publishing I used to keep a book listing ratings and reviews and download the reviews. Soon got over that  :icon_rolleyes:. I rarely check ratings now.

Too many books to keep track of everything. I record the daily Amazon sales, and income from the other booksellers, but that's about all I care to spend time on. It's just to see what's selling and what isn't mostly.