Author Topic: Audiblegate: Merged threads.  (Read 3536 times)

Leo

Audiblegate: Merged threads.
« on: December 18, 2020, 12:56:18 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/fairdealwithaudible

If you look at your Amazon dashboard you won't find how many 'returns' you've had for your books or your audiobooks. That's because a return doesn't generate income for the author. Amazon's predatory policy encourages readers and listeners to return your book or audiobook for a free swap. This generates goodwill and a regular income for Amazon by customers paying their monthly subscription, but we get nothing in return.

If you are annoyed or outraged at this policy to garner free advertising and marketing for Amazon at your expense please jump on the FB page above.

https://selfpublishingadvice.org/audible-acx-returns-exchanges-audiblegate/

Susan May has written an incisive article on Audiblegate that we should all read:
https://www.susanmaywriter.net/single-post/audiblegate-the-incredible-story-of-missing-sales

I suggest that you read this as well, some people succeeded at making 50 exchanges just to find out if it is possible...
https://www.susanmaywriter.net/single-post/audiblegate-2-the-emperor-s-new-clothes-policy-pot-theory-unicorns-pirates
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:22:14 PM by Leo »
Post-apocalypse or epic fantasy anyone?
Or perhaps tarot and astrology are more up your alley?

The following users thanked this post: Laughing Elephant

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
Re: Audiblegate - Amazon's 'easy returns' policy means authors get zero
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 03:03:16 AM »
Well, at least they're changing the policy regarding compensation for authors.
From the ACX team:

"...However, in recognition of these concerns, moving forward and effective as of January 1, 2021, Audible will pay royalties for any title returned more than 7 days following purchase. This adjustment does not impact our customers’ current benefits of membership, and we look forward to continuing to welcome millions of first-time listeners, enabling our members to discover new content they enjoy and growing the audience for our valued creative partners.
Respectfully,
The ACX Team"

Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

Leo

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 09:33:21 AM »
The first point here is the fact that Zon is not refunding authors for the millions of books they have already handed out for free to promote their company. If they back-dated and paid us for returns for the past 12 months then authors would be getting a fair deal.

As it is, 7 days is ample time for unscrupulous readers and listeners to return multiple times - at our expense. Thus this is not a fair deal for authors, it remains a rip-off. It also does not close off the loop-hole of a reader entering a 'chat' and requesting a return. Yes, sadly some people will do anything for free, and that is not just our readers.

The second issue is that the Zon hides each return. Our books cost us authors money, in some cases a lot of money, to produce, edit, book covers, artwork, marketing and time. This is our blood, sweat and tears that they trample on. We demand that we receive an honest copy of ALL transactions, and that includes the returns, those freebies that the Zon uses to promote themselves.

Please read the links, it will make you cry. Some readers have clearly stated that they have returned every book that they have read. Those that reach the 9 book limit simply enter a chat conversation and are given every return they ask for. To see if this is at all possible one author made 50 returns on one credit. The Zon want customers to keep paying their monthly fee, they do that by sacrificing you and me.

The Zon can give our books away at whatever price they want, unfortunately it says so in our contract. We have no say in what they do once we hand our books over. I for one have decided to limit my exposure to their predatory practices. It will cost me money but I will find alternative means to get around this.

One day the Zon will no longer be the main player in this space. We, the authors, need to be vigilant, ever vigilant, to predatory practices of unscrupulous companies.

The following users thanked this post: R. C., Laughing Elephant

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »
It's really unbelievable. Can I get this deal with the cable company? I mean, I pay them for a certain amount of content, but I can purchase other programs. When I'm done with those why can't I just return them and get my money back? Are there trade audio books that audible is doing this to? If people have audible, they should start getting and returning the trade books. I saw "Where the Crawdads Sing" on there. Lots of them. Right now.

Note, I have had a significant amount of wine tonight so maybe I'm not making the most sense.

Leo

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
nta, it encompasses both books and audiobooks. But then, maybe I didn't understand your question? :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:35:51 PM by Leo »

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
It wasn't really a question. More of a rant.

From the new audible info that is on Amazon now:

Try Audible Premium Plus and get:
Free membership for 30 days with your choice of any title in our entire premium selection, yours to keep even if you cancel.
Listen all you want to thousands of included audiobooks, podcasts, Audible Originals, and more in the Plus Catalog.
After trial, 1 credit a month good for any premium selection title, plus continue listening all you want to the growing Plus Catalog.
Easy exchanges for any titles purchased with a credit. Cancel anytime.

Bold mine.

The following users thanked this post: Leo

Leo

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 01:33:12 PM »
Thanks NTA, this is my rant: that mantra of 'easy returns' is the Zon's policy, their hook encourages customers to join and stay, paying the Zon month after month. Returns cost them nothing because they don't pay the authors for any of them. No wonder Jeff is THE richest man in the world - all off our backs.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 03:42:38 AM »
Blatantly high-jacking the thread...

Tracking sales daily for a couple of weeks, I KNOW my audio books have been returned with no compensation.

If one were to pull out of ACX/Audible and go somewhere else... Would the somewhere else be: Find Away Voices / Authors Direct or maybe Draft2Digital?

Seems to me, the broad distribution at a lower price point might be a value.

UPDATE: Here is a very good comparison of the audio distribution platforms. Naturally Voice

Cheers,
R.C.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:47:14 AM by R. C. »

The following users thanked this post: Leo, alyson

notthatamanda

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 06:42:54 AM »
I'm on Findaway. I got a 99 cent bookbub/chirp/findawaypromotion that made me back the entire cost of doing the audio book. Those deals are still free, so I highly recommend trying for one if someone distributes through Findaway. I do distribute to Audible through Findaway, it took almost 5 months for them to get the audio book on Amazon.

The following users thanked this post: Leo, R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 07:20:49 AM »
I'm on Findaway. I got a 99 cent bookbub/chirp/findawaypromotion that made me back the entire cost of doing the audio book. Those deals are still free, so I highly recommend trying for one if someone distributes through Findaway. I do distribute to Audible through Findaway, it took almost 5 months for them to get the audio book on Amazon.

I have to wait for my request to be "non-exclusive" with ACX to be honored.   :icon_sad:

Cheers,
R.C.

writeon99

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »
A word of warning - if you decide to use Findaway to distribute to Audible/Amazon, know that you are still locked into the same 7-year contract. Findaway uses the same ACX dashboard to upload that we authors do.

Whether you are exclusive or nonexclusive to ACX - you are locked into that 7 years and ACX won't release you, despite now giving your books away at zero compensation - which is what happens each time one is returned.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 10:02:55 AM »
A word of warning - if you decide to use Findaway to distribute to Audible/Amazon, know that you are still locked into the same 7-year contract. Findaway uses the same ACX dashboard to upload that we authors do.

Whether you are exclusive or nonexclusive to ACX - you are locked into that 7 years and ACX won't release you, despite now giving your books away at zero compensation - which is what happens each time one is returned.

If you have already completed the seven year obligation, and switch to Findaway, does that still hold true? Are you locked in for another seven years with audible?

notthatamanda

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 10:40:37 AM »
I just went into Findaway and undistributed to audible/Amazon. Changes can take up to 30 days, so we'll see what they tell me about trying to do that. It certainly didn't stop me, though it did warn me and ask me if that's what I really wanted to do.

The following users thanked this post: Leo, Maggie Ann

Maggie Ann

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 12:41:13 PM »
I just went into Findaway and undistributed to audible/Amazon. Changes can take up to 30 days, so we'll see what they tell me about trying to do that. It certainly didn't stop me, though it did warn me and ask me if that's what I really wanted to do.

Thanks. I only have two audios that have reached the end of their obligation. The other are three and four years.

I particularly like that Findaway distributes to Overdrive. I've had good luck with ebooks with them through D2D.

Leo

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2021, 06:14:54 AM »
UPDATE: please join us -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fairdealwithaudible/
https://orna-ross.ck.page/audiblegate
https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/sign-our-letter-and-tell-audible-to-stop-charging-authors-for-returns?source=email&

Subject: Sign the petition! Bob Carrigan, CEO, and Stas Zakharenko, General Counsel, Audible: Sign Our Letter and Tell Audible to Stop Charging Authors for Returns

Friend,

I signed a petition on Action Network telling Bob Carrigan, CEO, and Stas Zakharenko, General Counsel, Audible to Sign Our Letter and Tell Audible to Stop Charging Authors for Returns.

We are sharing with you a letter to Audible’s CEO Bob Carrigan and General Counsel Stas Zakharenko, demanding that Audible end its practice of encouraging its monthly subscribers to return or exchange audiobooks they have purchased and deducting the earned royalties for those audiobooks from authors’ accounts. Audible is promoting this easy exchange policy as a benefit to increase its subscriber base, allowing listeners to purchase and listen to entire audiobooks and then return them for a refund or exchange them for a new book—all at the detriment of authors’ earnings. This is not an exchange policy, but an unauthorized audiobook rental arrangement supported by authors’ reversed royalties, and it must stop. We urge you to please sign your name to the letter below to tell Audible to stop deducting earned royalty incomes from authors’ accounts for returns and exchanges—up to a year after the books have been listened to.

Can you join me and take action? Click here: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/sign-our-letter-and-tell-audible-to-stop-charging-authors-for-returns?source=email&

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:19:25 AM by Leo »

Leo

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 06:23:55 AM »

Not so if you are not signed in with ACX exclusive. I just asked Findaway to cease distribution to Audible and they did it straight away. The best thing to do is talk to Findaway and agitate, sign the petition, join the groups, it's our livelihood at stake here.

writeon99

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 09:44:56 AM »

Not so if you are not signed in with ACX exclusive. I just asked Findaway to cease distribution to Audible and they did it straight away. The best thing to do is talk to Findaway and agitate, sign the petition, join the groups, it's our livelihood at stake here.

I thought that too but I asked Will Dages, head of Findaway, who said that they are locked into the same 7-year deal. They use the same ACX dash we do to upload and agreed to the same 7-year contract. So, while you can uncheck Audible on Findaway, and Findaway can ask to take the books down, ACX has them under contract for 7 years. Also, you have to ask to be removed from ACX 60 days before your 7-year term ends, otherwise you are automatically renewed for another year.  Agree with everything else you said though - our strength is in our numbers so join, sign asap so we can get fair treatment.

Leo

Audiblegate: how Audible's nasty little secret was found out
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 07:45:30 AM »
If you haven't been following this saga please go to the link below, you will be horrified. Better still, join our Facebook group, Fair Deal for Rights Holders and Narrators -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fairdealwithaudible
https://www.facebook.com/Audiblegate/

The short is that Audible have been giving your audiobooks away for free, that's correct, you don't get paid. Listeners can keep returning your audiobooks so that they can listen to your entire range of audiobooks on one credit and you don't see a cent. I have written posts about it on 'Writers Sanctum' previously, this is the latest article that says it all.

If you value your work, if you want to be paid fairly for your time and considerable expenses in producing your audiobooks, then you need to read this and join us. Raise your fists and voices to stop this theft of your IP.

Quite simply, if you are exclusive you are promised 40% of your price, but, Audible discount your books at will, you aren't consulted and you aren't asked for consent. Because of their very special payment formulae (and the very special wording in your contract that disguises it) you end up with only a fraction of that 40%.

They are clever and the silent majority of authors and narrators have no idea why their income has dropped significantly over the past 12 months. I'm down 30% this past year despite three extra books and great reviews. Bigger authors are down around 50% and are freaked out not knowing why - now they know.

Audible prefers that their providers stay in the dark, they don't want you to discover their dirty little secret.

https://selfpublishingadvice.org/audiblegate/
https://www.susanmaywriter.net/single-post/audiblegate-the-incredible-story-of-missing-sales - part 1

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, alyson, writeon99

Leo

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 07:49:41 AM »
I have an update, it is in the Audio thread: https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=4285.msg83475#msg83475

This is the article I linked:

https://selfpublishingadvice.org/audiblegate/

If you haven't already, please join your voices to our FB groups:

https://www.facebook.com/Audiblegate/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/fairdealwithaudible/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:10:24 AM by Leo »

Leo

Audiblegate: Merged threads.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 08:30:33 AM »
Audiblegate: where we’re at and where we’re going. Campaign Series: Part One

Susan May, author and founder of Fair Deal for Rights Holders and Narrators

When an author enters the independent publishing world, one of the most important pieces of advice shared with them is to calculate your return-on-investment (R.O.I.). If you don’t advertise, the calculation is simple, how many books do you need to sell to repay editing and book cover costs? If you dive into audiobooks, well, that number of books jumps because of high production costs. This again should be straightforward. Your costs plus marketing divided by the profit paid per book by the retail platform.

What happens though when the profit paid value of your audiobook sale is incorrect or hidden beneath net sales?

You might decide to create an audiobook which could take much longer to pay you back, and that’s if you ever recoup your investment. Had you known the true payment calculations you may not have traveled the audiobook path. Another issue if you are a marketer is you may cancel advertising after a time because the R.O.I. tells you it’s not worth it. This then becomes lost potential when we base our formula on incorrect assumptions. The low R.O.I. might even cause you to give up publishing or affect your enthusiasm for writing.

Audiblegate: Knowing Something Was Wrong
Many authors, and I include myself, have felt this loss of passion. I’d created more books over the years, including expensive Audibles, but my income stagnated, while my gut told me it should increase with my marketing and growing reader base. My life experience had been decades of successful marketing and business in many industries, so I have a feel for business numbers.

I had kept extensive data on sales income and advertising expenses, and despite producing high-quality audiobooks with award-winning narrators (based on reviews and star ratings), I was heading backward. Something was wrong, and I couldn’t explain what. One avenue I’d explored was spending extra time and money on promoting audiobooks because it made sense with less competition and a growing market.

Business depressed but determined is what I’d call my attitude since 2019. I kept looking for answers as, unbeknown to me, had others. The answer lay in front of us in our reports, just well-hidden and so egregious you’d never consider it a reasonable answer.

If in secret, someone siphons away twenty, fifty, or maybe even sixty percent of sales from beneath your nose, what then? A financial disaster on so many levels. This idea hadn’t factored into our calculations until recent months because we must trust our sales platform partners, Amazon and ACX/Audible. We must trust them because they are too big to question. They have failsafe technology, right?

An urban myth exists that talks of Amazon hiring the best data scientists in the world. The Amazon Science-Customer Obsessed Science page brims with advancements in machine learning, search and information retrieval, knowledge management, computer vision and even quantum technologies. All this brainpower and advancements to support and further Amazon’s passion for customer service; customers, they say, which includes their business partner sellers, which means authors too.

These are lofty commitments indeed, unless it comes to Amazon’s passion for Audible’s business partners, where they can’t spare a scientist or even an intern to do basic data reporting. Nobody for close on seven years could create an extra column in the ACX income sales reports to allow authors to know how many of our books are returned. An oversight possibly, except in October 2020 when Audiblegate became a thing and authors asked for their returns data.

Audible claimed it was too hard, the resources needed too few and the costs too high.

These seem like excuses based on the evidence we have accrued. It seems Audible created a profitable and competitor-proof business by offering an Easy Exchange Member Benefit which allowed listeners to make returns for which the company doesn’t have to pay. Deduct the money from authors instead. Hide the returns beneath sales and call them net sales, and problem solved.

You don’t need a quantum computer to highlight a genius profit plan and a perfect way to habituate members into continuing their monthly subscription.

Audiblegate: Easy Exchange Equals Easy Profit.
This great plan worked well for Audible/ACX until a glitch occurred in October, in which three weeks of returns were clawed back by the company in one day. Thus, began the #audiblegate scandal that just won’t die.

When authors asked for their returns data, ACX denied the requests again and again and again. Though isolated by the solitary nature of our business, authors for the first time united against an Amazon company in joining a small Facebook group: Fair Deal for Rights Holders and Narrators (FDRHN). Within weeks, the small band grew to thousands of tenacious, outraged authors, narrators and rights holders.

I didn’t set out to lead a group of authors. Keep my head down, write my books and live my life, that’s been my thing. As I’ve said, though, to those brave others who are working behind the scenes, you don’t drive past an accident and not stop to help when you have medical training. So I, and a small band of authors I call our Brain trust, will be there fighting alongside Alliance of Independent Authors and our colleagues in FDRHN until we see justice.

AudibleGate: Concessions but Key Demands Ignored
We’ve had quick wins already. News of these arriving via emails from ACX or through their blog addressing the aggrieved author community as “valued writers and ACX partners.” We’re valuable to them, yes, but valued?

That’s not how it feels when we receive opaque replies, or another fob off to our concerns. Oh, and there was a scheduled meeting on January 20 between ALLi, two major author organizations, FDRHN, and Audible’s CEO and staff, cancelled by Audible at the last minute, perhaps because some uncomfortable truths were shared. We didn’t feel too valued then, either.

Instead, of a meeting, in haste Audible slapped together a release advising authors they were no longer tied to a seven-year contract, and from February 1, 2021, rights holders could move their books wide, or even remove their listing for sale from the Audible platform after ninety days had elapsed since publication.

This is a welcome change and big news. Mention of authors’ original key demands, though, glaring in their absence.

Might it have been a bone thrown so the trouble-making rights holders might pick it up, pad off somewhere, and stop asking tricky questions?

One thing we’ve learned in the past few months is that when authors stand together, we are a force. Hard work and a unified stance, with the support of ALLi, has seen our small group cause Audible to concede to limit returns authors cover to seven days, while they continue their 365-day guarantee, and abolishing the seven-year contract. Oh, yes, and there was a 5% increase in December payments to say they were sorry, but we won’t mention that because 5% of nothing won’t buy you a coffee.

Our battle continues with much vigor because when a company as big as Audible scrambles to offer little nuggets, we wonder what precious secrets might lie hidden in those vaults? We won’t stop until we discover the truth and unshackle ourselves from unfair practices. There’s another #Audiblegate revelation. Far from feeling valued, we feel we can’t trust these guys anymore.

The Future of Audiobook Publishing
I’ve been publishing since early 2013 and lived through the evolution of self-publishing. I look at many independent publishers today, myself included, and realize we’ve become a perfect example of the Boiling Frog syndrome. We need to climb out of this pot because it’s unhealthy for our business. Many of us gave up a degree of our independence for a comfy all-your-eggs-data-in-one-basket space. You shouldn’t stay when a company makes it part of their business plan to steal your eggs from beneath you.

We continue our fight with renewed vigor for these key issues and a few adjuncts we’ve come across after digging deeper into Audible’s practices. If Audible’s listening, as they claim to be, hear this. We won’t be stopping our campaign until you:

Supply returns data prior to 1st Jan 2021.
Pay losses on these returns, which fall outside the terms of authors’ contracts.
Make books non-returnable after 25% of the book has been listened to–or if you want to market Audible through “an easy exchange and scheme”, call it that, and pay for it. That’s not returns, that’s marketing.
For authors, we’ve added two more goals:

Climb out of the pot and find a better home—an answer to this coming soon.
Educate our community on contracts and reading payment statements.
Knowledge is power, and so a small group of us have done the research and we’ll soon release regular mini easy-to-understand posts. With everything you know about Audiblegate, there’s still much more to learn.

Next Monday, and over coming weeks, accountant Colleen Cross, author of Anatomy of a Ponzi: Scams Past and Present, and novels starring a corporate fraud investigator, will lead us through eye-opening essays on Audible/ACX practices and formulas. Did you know, for instance, the real percentage split of payment on sales is not 40/25%?

Audiblegate matters to all Authors
Audiobook creators: don’t think you’re not affected if you distribute through aggregators such as Findaway, or license your intellectual property to publishers like Tantor. There’s obscure math happening behind the reports that has been missed but we are using this new knowledge to give us the courage to climb out of the pot.

Audiblegate revelations leave us asking questions which sometimes sound closer to conspiracy theories unless you study the facts. It makes me wonder what those data scientists Amazon employs really do with their time? Could it be they search for new and more obscure ways to cut percentages out of rights holders’ earnings?

Even if you don’t hear of Audiblegate every week, just know the campaign continues. To dig a tunnel to escape a prison takes time, along with grit and a helluva lot of work. We can’t afford to lose, not for ourselves, indies who’ve taken our writing destiny into our own hands, and not for those authors who will publish through Amazon in the future.

The fight continues. Grab your pitchforks and outrage, we’re storming the #audiblegate.

Stay tuned to the Audiblegate campaign on the ALLi member website and on the FDFRHN Facebook page.

If you haven’t already, please sign the #Audiblegate petition here:
https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/audiblegate

This will keep you posted as the campaign develops.

February 6, 2021 Susan May ALLI Campaigns

This is the first of a series of posts about the campaign known to self-publishing authors as #AudibleGate. The Alliance of Independent Authors would like to extend thanks to Susan May for this post and for her work with the Fair Deal for Rights Holders and Narrators Facebook group. This pressure group of authors and narrators is amassing evidence and testimony that is providing an understanding of what is happening to transactions and payment accounts at Audible.

The following users thanked this post: alyson

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Audiblegate: should you place your audiobook with Audible?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 12:26:09 PM »
If I could see a Facebook ready post aimed at audiobook listens, I'd post it.

I keep getting asked when my current series will be coming out on Audiobooks, and none of my readers have any idea about what is going on.

Be nice to have something aimed at listeners which explains it in terms they would understand.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: alyson

writeon99

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 04:57:16 PM »
There is now an Audiblegate Facebook page, an Audiblegate twitter page with lots of links to posts. A website is coming very soon.

New blog posts are coming out very soon which will make you never want to put another audiobook on Audible again.

The following users thanked this post: Leo, alyson

Leo

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 07:50:17 AM »
The websites I've linked in my posts will lead you to many articles written by the people taking the fight to Audible.

The most frightening is the 40%/25% payment to authors. When this is actually examined in detail it is quite different. Instead of authors exclusive with Audible receiving 40% they actually receive 21%; authors non-exclusive receive 13%. Once you factor in the fact that this is after you have been discounted (without your consent), after Audible's costs are removed, after 'easy returns' are removed, what you actually receive is considerably less than these figures.

Join our group and stay tuned, Audible is soon to be left behind as indie authors and narrators move to other, more professional and honest audiobook sites.

writeon99

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 08:11:17 AM »
True. And I'll just add, that 13% and 21% is only on the books that are not returned.

writeon99

Leo

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 09:14:23 AM »
True. And I'll just add, that 13% and 21% is only on the books that are not returned.

That's exactly the situation that has brought many many indie authors to their knees. A dramatic drop in sales income from Audible means they have had to do something... but they were never told that each return, heavily promoted by Audible I might add, means zero payment.

Authors have fallen into Audible's trap and have tried to market their way out of the hole thinking that their followers had stopped buying their books. Nothing could be further from the truth, followers love their books so much that they keep returning them for another, at no cost to either the listener or to Audible.

By promoting 'easy returns' to their subscribers Audible gain an enormous advantage over their competitors. That is only because they don't pay us for any of these returns, nada, nilch, nothing. A subscriber can listen to every book you have uploaded for nothing and you get nothing in return.

Leo

Spilling Ink - AudibleGate 2021 Update with Colleen Cross
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 03:37:54 PM »
Here is a video blog presentation with the Spilling Ink team, be educated and be enraged.

The following users thanked this post: writeon99

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: Audiblegate: Merged threads.
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2021, 09:32:55 PM »
4 threads merged together, and moved into the 'What is Amazon doing now' public area.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Leo

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 07:41:19 AM »
4 threads merged together, and moved into the 'What is Amazon doing now' public area.

Thanks, Tim.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 12:24:06 AM »
I've just heard that Audible has agreed to pay authors and publishers for returns made after 7 days. And also be providing full returns information.

Anyone seen this as an announcement anywhere?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2021, 06:45:39 AM »
I've just heard that Audible has agreed to pay authors and publishers for returns made after 7 days. And also be providing full returns information.

The seven days thing was posted in this thread.  (Or one of the threads before they were merged, rather.)  Scroll up to Luke Everhart's December 18th post.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Leo

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2021, 08:01:38 AM »

Hi Tim, yes, Audible have offered concessions in their attempt to appease us. When this goes to court it will cost them billions, they think that by throwing us bones we might go away.

One thought, where else do you get to eat a meal and then return the empty container for a free refill? Even Amazon's Prime does not reimburse you once you have watched a movie. No one does, yet Audible seem to think that authors and narrators should just swallow this bs offer.

They have hidden the 'returns' data from us for years despite considerable pressure to come clean and include it on our dashboards. They also refuse to provide the data for past history of our every audiobook return, one can only wonder why. Their offer to include returns from March 1st is simply another bone. We want to know how much we have lost through their predatory practice since this practice began, and we want to be paid for every single audiobook we have not received payment for. Thus far they have refused to disclose this data.

There are many problems with this '7 days'. There are many readers that listen to an audiobook almost every day and return them for a freebie. There are threads by Amazon/Audible readers on forums, Reddit is one forum, where readers boast of how many ebooks and audiobooks they have returned, at our expense. Your ebooks will be among them. What authors and narrators want is to limit the read to 25% of the book, personally, I would make that 10%.

Another issue is that Audible have been rorting us for years and there is no offer of back pay for what we believe to be the fraudulent abuse of our work. Some very popular authors have lost up to 50% of their sales income due to Audible's practice. For these popular authors and narrators, that can amount to tens of thousands of dollars every month. Might I add that these authors spend thousands on audiobook production and marketing and this loss is breaking them, like it does for the smaller producer like you and me.

Audible have been using our books as a library for years, thus ensuring that their subscribers keep sending them money every month, no other company can match this. In short, they continue to dominate the audiobook market. Unfortunately, every return costs the reader nothing, costs Audible nothing, and us authors and narrators receive nothing. It's our IP, our outgoing expenses and our hard work that keeps Audible the top audiobook seller in the world.

The battle to stop this and receive a fair deal from Audible is only just starting.

Leo

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2021, 05:52:46 AM »
Our Audiblegate.com website is up, we should all be outraged at what Audible have done to us, authors and narrators. If you have an audiobook Exclusive to Audible then guess how much you really receive? You will be lucky to get 21% of their determined price, not your price but theirs. If you are non-exclusive, like me, then you will get 13%, but then, they set the price, they discount it and they give my audiobooks away from nothing on each return. be enraged, join us and let your voice be heard.

Update: we now have lawyers involved, the ones who recently knocked Amazon for six when they ripped off their delivery drivers - like, who steals tips from their staff? What sleezebags!

https://www.audiblegate.com/

The following users thanked this post: writeon99

Maggie Ann

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2021, 08:08:32 AM »
Something else that need to be addressed. When I advertise my free first in series, my whispersync audiobook sales put me over the top and in profit. Amazon/Audible has banned audiobook links for advertising newsletters. I can no longer count on those sales when I advertise so I no longer advertise. I'm playing a losing game and I'm just about done playing.

Leo

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2021, 10:19:06 AM »
Something else that need to be addressed. When I advertise my free first in series, my whispersync audiobook sales put me over the top and in profit. Amazon/Audible has banned audiobook links for advertising newsletters. I can no longer count on those sales when I advertise so I no longer advertise. I'm playing a losing game and I'm just about done playing.

Maggie, we've seen that audiobook authors are losing from 30% and more than 50% of their sales over the past 12 months due to Audibles predatory practices. Why not join our FB groups because we have plans to move forward on promoting our audiobooks now that Audible has proven to be more enemy than friend.

Marketing Audiobooks Wide - https://www.facebook.com/groups/835962743892598

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fairdealwithaudible

Maggie Ann

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2021, 10:57:48 AM »

Maggie, we've seen that audiobook authors are losing from 30% and more than 50% of their sales over the past 12 months due to Audibles predatory practices. Why not join our FB groups because we have plans to move forward on promoting our audiobooks now that Audible has proven to be more enemy than friend.

Marketing Audiobooks Wide - https://www.facebook.com/groups/835962743892598

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fairdealwithaudible

Done! Thanks.